U2 new album for free right now on i-tunes

soloyan

I'm not kidding.

And if you like U2, I can tell you it's pretty darn good.

It even has a Smiths reference, "Song for someone" ends with : "If there is a light, don't let it go out".

I just downloaded it. Pretty cool they gave it away free. It even comes with a digital booklet with lyrics and everything.

I wasn’t too into the last album (it has some good songs) but I really enjoyed “How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb” when it came out.

I am concerned of further disappointment. I disavowed myself of U2 when All That You Can't Leave Behind released. I tried How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb - No. I haven't been curious since, but I will check out their latest. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm a fan since the War era, and have been hugely disappointed in the last two albums. This is a marginal improvement, but to my ear, my hopes for a rebound to full strength U2 are sort of stunted. Five years and seven producers and this is what they came up with??? Argh. Three songs strike me as good, two are painful to listen to, the rest I couldn't care less.

In less than 2 months, I got the latest album from my 2 favorite artists (Moz & U2) and they have a few things in common.... They were both distributed in a new way (Moz : limited edition, U2 : free surprise release), the songs are pretty different from one another but share the same DNA, they are representative of what the artist is about...

I feel spoiled :guitar:

I wasn’t too into the last album (it has some good songs) but I really enjoyed “How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb” when it came out.

Agreed. I really disliked No Line On the Horizon but after one listen, this one is really good.

I have never been into U2 at all. Will a free album pull me in one direction or another? Hard to tell. I like where the streets have no name though.

I just watched the preview clip and it's basically an ad for the new iPhone 6. The style of the video reminds me of apple's ipod ads from years ago. Jayzus if Morrissey ever did an album to promote an apple product I think I'd probably throw up in my soup.

Last edited:
I just watched the preview clip and it's basically an ad for the new iPhone 6.

Of course it is. I'm sure they were paid an enormous sum of money to do this—it's not as though they're giving away an album for free, it's a paid advertisement. Not to mention it only reinforces the idea that listeners should be able to download music without paying for it.

Of course it is. I'm sure they were paid an enormous sum of money to do this—it's not as though they're giving away an album for free, it's a paid advertisement. Not to mention it only reinforces the idea that listeners should be able to download music without paying for it.

It must be so liberating having no self respect whatsoever.

I listened to it today and it passed me by and drew hardly any attention from me away from the application I was completing. It sounded like U2 which is good for them that they managed to achieve that. Two tracks did stand out more than others, Iris and Cedarwood...so that's a positive from someone else who doesn't count himself as a fan. My biggest problem with U2 has always been the preachy political aspect of the band and their fans. The fans have never impressed me, quite conservative people from my experience. Maybe that's not fair and it's just the commercial big money side of the group. Some great songs though not my style, saying that I've actually seen them a few times. Wow, what a U2 contradiction I am, LOL. Am I a secret U2 fan in denial? Nnnnnoooooooo!!!!

I too listened to it this morning while at the gym.
It's U2 and OK to listen to.
Nothing jumped out to me as anything special.
But very little does nowadays.
I'm one of them stuck in a time warp.
I tend to listen to what I know.
Now and then something special jumps out.
But it tends to be one song.
When I listen to more tracks by the same artist/artists I'm disappointed.

I'm really annoyed that I can't delete the album from my account. I don't want it and I didn't download it, yet there it is on my phone and in my iCloud storage, un-deletable. What a shit move on Apple's part.

At least those 500 million forced "purchases" aren't going to be recognized by Billboard...
http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2014/09/11/billboard-refuses-recognize-u2s-songs-innocence

Not sure if this will help: http://www.ibtimes.com/how-delete-u2-album-apple-just-forced-everyone-download-itunes-1686062

I personally love the album, as I know I’ve stated already. BUT...if I wasn’t a fan, I’d be pretty pissed too so I get it.

Not sure if this will help: http://www.ibtimes.com/how-delete-u2-album-apple-just-forced-everyone-download-itunes-1686062

I personally love the album, as I know I’ve stated already. BUT...if I wasn’t a fan, I’d be pretty pissed too so I get it.

That doesn't actually remove the album from iCloud—it's still there, and it'll still play in shuffle mode. If you want to hide it from your iPhone, you have to hide EVERYTHING you access in iCloud. Lame. I'm hoping it disappears next month. :straightface:

I'd resent this kind of thing no matter what the band, even one I like! Is this really how we want to see music promoted? The richest bands in the world getting paid hundreds of millions of dollars to have their music forcibly added to our libraries? This is just the beginning.

That doesn't actually remove the album from iCloud—it's still there, and it'll still play in shuffle mode. If you want to hide it from your iPhone, you have to hide EVERYTHING you access in iCloud. Lame. I'm hoping it disappears next month. :straightface:

I'd resent this kind of thing no matter what the band, even one I like! Is this really how we want to see music promoted? The richest bands in the world getting paid hundreds of millions of dollars to have their music forcibly added to our libraries? This is just the beginning.

Ah, sorry about that. I am thinking that after 10/13 or whatever the date they said was, it will no longer be in the cloud so those that didn’t want to download it will have it disappear. It definitely would’ve been better if they made it a voluntary download.

How dare they put their muck in my library.

U2 obviously are doing something right. They have so many fans who love their sound and they obviously know how to play the fame game and work with labels efficiently. It all seems to easy. I find them about as exciting as REM. I don't hate them and I don't love them. I just don't feel anything, but on the other hand I can see why other people are into them.

Back
Top Bottom