From Buddy Holly to present, list your top 25 bands with 10 bonus picks (if you must), so 35 maximum

Re: From Buddy Holly to present, list your top 25 bands with 10 bonus picks (if you must), so 35 max

And Johnny Marr is Ivor Perry?

Johnny Marr is just a guitarist.

Re: From Buddy Holly to present, list your top 25 bands with 10 bonus picks (if you must), so 35 max

Johnny Marr is just a guitarist.

With the greatest level of respect, you are INSANE.
And you don't mean what you say. You know he composed the music, CG!
The Smiths tried to continue Marr-less and failed. Even Moz said "the marriage was perfect."
I really like you, but you waffle between the voice of reason to nutter with a lot of middle ground...I'll admit that.
Robin Williams was BP (I always knew this, always, clearly manic.) - God rest his soul.
Are you also BP? And if so, would you admit it?

With the greatest level of respect, you are INSANE.
And you don't mean what you say. You know he composed the music, CG!
The Smiths tried to continue Marr-less and failed. Even Moz said "the marriage was perfect."
I really like you, but you waffle between the voice of reason to nutter with a lot of middle ground...I'll admit that.
Robin Williams was BP (I always knew this, always, clearly manic.) - God rest his soul.
Are you also BP? And if so, would you admit it?

I'm not British Petroleum. I'm the world's petroleum untapped. Don't frack with me.

Johnny Marr is a talented musician. Did Morrissey ever SING his songs?

The Beatles took turns singing all four of their compositions. Morrissey sang only his words. Johnny's LUX VOX was never entertained, only Morrissey's. The Smiths is Morrissey accompanied by very clever music inspired by a very talented musician, but The Smiths is Morrissey.

Bipolar, CG?

By the way, everyone disagrees with you. Then, you say RB puts her foot in mouth. And you never do? You two have a lot in common.

I'm not British Petroleum. I'm the world's petroleum untapped. Don't frack with me.

Johnny Marr is a talented musician. Did Morrissey ever SING his songs?

The Beatles took turns singing all four of their compositions. Morrissey sang only his words. Johnny's LUX VOX was never entertained, only Morrissey's. The Smiths is Morrissey accompanied by very clever music inspired by a very talented musician, but The Smiths is Morrissey.

i think its been mentioned a few times before on here that marr did not do all the musical arrangements himself.

Bipolar, CG?

By the way, everyone disagrees with you. Then, you say RB puts her foot in mouth. And you never do? You two have a lot in common.

As evidenced by one anonymous comment? :straightface: It's called an opinion, I didn't say it was THE WAY IT IS. :rolleyes:

I seriously doubt that, Sergio. Beastie Boys even made Rolling Stone's top 100 bands of all time...

Ghoul had the second post after J. Fairplay. Very good. He then did a delete (not an edit) because he had 40.
If he had not put Beastie Boys on, I don't think people would be putting them on as much.

Respectfully,

Sergio (a.k.a "Seth")

Ghoul had the second post after J. Fairplay. Very good. He then did a delete (not an edit) because he had 40.
If he had not put Beastie Boys on, I don't think people would be putting them on as much.

Whu...HUH? I'm shocked that everyone hasn't put the Beasties on their list, because they are f***ing awesome. They're in my top 5 all-time favorite groups for sure.

I love the Beastie Boys. I could probably list them in a top 40, actually. I was devastated when MCA died. He was my favorite, no disrespect to the other two!

Narrowed down from 50+ to exactly 35, and I'm sure I'm making some horrible omission that's going to wake me up in the middle of the night.

Alphabetically, to reduce further anxiety:

A Certain Ratio
And Also the Trees
Beastie Boys
Bauhaus
David Bowie
The Chameleons
Cocteau Twins
The Cure
Current 93
Death In June
Depeche Mode
Echo and the Bunnymen
Felt
Michael Jackson/J5
Joy Division
John Lennon
Love and Rockets
Lowlife
Janelle Monae
Morrissey
New Order
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
The Police
Prince
The Psychedelic Furs
Public Enemy
Ramones
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Sisters of Mercy
Skinny Puppy
The Smiths
Talking Heads
Tears For Fears
Television
Wire

Ok, CP, I gotta ask.....John Lennon but no Beatles? Do tell :)

Ok, CP, I gotta ask.....John Lennon but no Beatles? Do tell :)

No disrespect to the Beatles at all, believe me! I had to narrow it down, though, and I've always been more of a fan of John's solo work (& with Yoko). I like the Beatles very much. Really! :)

FWIW, I like Sean Lennon a lot, too. The stuff he's been doing with Ghost of a Sabre Tooth Tiger is excellent.

No disrespect to the Beatles at all, believe me! I had to narrow it down, though, and I've always been more of a fan of John's solo work (& with Yoko). I like the Beatles very much. Really! :)

FWIW, I like Sean Lennon a lot, too. The stuff he's been doing with Ghost of a Sabre Tooth Tiger is excellent.

I’ve heard a lot of good things about Sean Lennon’s latest project. I’ll have to check it out. My brother actually doesn’t like the Beatles at all really but likes John Lennon’s solo stuff. He even covered a John Lennon song for this Wes Anderson tribute comp that came out earlier this year:

http://www.alr-music.com (he plays solo under the name The Ghost In You)

I’ve heard a lot of good things about Sean Lennon’s latest project. I’ll have to check it out. My brother actually doesn’t like the Beatles at all really but likes John Lennon’s solo stuff. He even covered a John Lennon song for this Wes Anderson tribute comp that came out earlier this year:

http://www.alr-music.com (he plays solo under the name The Ghost In You)

Cool, I'll check it out. I take it he's a fan of the Furs, too?

I need to add Misfits ('77-'83)/Samhain/Danzig (first 4 lps) to my list. :)

I need to add Misfits ('77-'83)/Samhain/Danzig (first 4 lps) to my list. :)

Damnit, I forgot those too! And Beastie Boys! Haha.

Need to add: Dead Kennedys, Tim Buckley, Marion, The Kinks, This Mortal Coil, Bauhaus, Dead Milkmen, 7 seconds, fIREHOSE, Placebo, Divine Comedy ... ugh, this really is impossible!

The Smiths
Morrissey
New Order
Joy Division
R.E.M.
The Cure
Depeche Mode
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
The National
Pearl Jam
Neil Diamond
Marvin Gaye
Simon and Garfunkel
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Prince
Sisters of Mercy
The Police
Pixies
The Pretenders
Led Zeppelin
The Who
Bob Marley
Pet Shop Boys
Psychedelic Furs

The Beach Boys
Blur
Camera Obscura
The Charlatans
The Clash
The Cure
Echo and the Bunnymen
Elbow
Gene
Interpol
James
Joy Division
Kula Shaker
Morrissey
The National
New Order
The Psychedelic Furs
Ride
The Smiths
Suede
The Stone Roses
Sugar
Teenage Fanclub
The Verve
The Wedding Present

Damnit, I forgot those too! And Beastie Boys! Haha.

Need to add: Dead Kennedys, Tim Buckley, Marion, The Kinks, This Mortal Coil, Bauhaus, Dead Milkmen, 7 seconds, fIREHOSE, Placebo, Divine Comedy ... ugh, this really is impossible!

Some great pics there too. Nice to see 7 Seconds getting some love on this forum. :)

Back
Top Bottom