Homespun Remedies

CrystalGeezer

My secret's my enzyme.
If you bleed on clothing and accidentally wash and dry them, all is not lost. The blood is not set.

Take the item and wet the area with the blood with water. Then scrub table salt into the stain for a few minutes. Then walk the dog around the block. Then wash and dry like normal. The salt breaks down the protein. Shampoo will do this too, but salt is better. Meat Tenderizer was recommended but I don't have any to try, but the salt works 100%. It's amazing.

Re: Hmespun Remedies

Can a mod put an O in my title? I was so excited about the salt I couldn't contain myself.

Can a mod put an O in my title? I was so excited about the salt I couldn't contain myself.

Done. On the salt breaking down protein, I can't think of a chemical reason why this would happen, but I'm happy to learn of one - do you know of one?

P.

Done. On the salt breaking down protein, I can't think of a chemical reason why this would happen, but I'm happy to learn of one - do you know of one?

P.

I was curious about that as well, with the science 101 knowledge I have it doesn't make sense, doesn't salt historically preserve meat/protein?

I got the answer here. Not knowing the science is perhaps what makes it hmespun. (sic) :p

I had blood on a sheet. I washed and dried it on hot. Used the sheet another week. Have a guest coming and didn't want to buy new sheets, tried the salt trick, gone. No stain. So ignore all the "You have to treat it fast!!!!" You don't. Homespun LIES I tell you!!!!!

Last edited:

Meat tenderizer acts as an enzyme breaking down the peptide bonds between the amino acid found in complex proteins i.e. blood. Thus lifting the stain. (Commercial stain lifters such as Spray 'n Wash do the same thing.) The salt is acting as an abrasive, scouring the proteins off the fabric--taking fibers with it. Not a good solution in the long run.

A cheap natural face cleaner/exfoliant: Warm a teaspoon of vinegar in microwave for 5 seconds. Stir in one forth cup sugar. Scrub face gently with mix rubbing in circular motions. Let sit on face for two minutes. Rinse.

The salt is acting as an abrasive, scouring the proteins off the fabric--taking fibers with it. Not a good solution in the long run.

I "scrubbed" it for a few seconds with my fingertips. The fabric texture was not affected, it's not pilling. I don't buy it. The salt is chemically reacting with the blood.

I "scrubbed" it for a few seconds with my fingertips. The fabric texture was not affected, it's not pilling. I don't buy it. The salt is chemically reacting with the blood.

Peter is a chemist. So...

But I am going to pose this question to my friend who is also a chemist and see what he says. May take a day or so for him to get back to me.

Peter is a chemist. So...

But I am going to pose this question to my friend who is also a chemist and see what he says. May take a day or so for him to get back to me.

My original question was seeking chemical, not physical answers. I honestly don't know. I can see how it may alter charge densities on amino acid residues and such. Proteins are pretty stable in high salt contents, think of cheeses and cured meats. So I don't see it, but happy to learn more.

P.

Last edited:

My original question was seking chemical, not physical answers. I honestly don't know. I can see how it may alter charrge densities on amino acid residues and such. Proteins are pretty stable in high salt contents, think of cheeses and cured meats. So I don't see it, but happy to learn more.

P.

Yes. Salt acts to preserve the integrity of the protein not break it down. Hmm. Will post his answer if/after he writes back.

:straightface:

OK. Regarding salt as a remedy to lift blood stains. I just got an email from my friend. He wrote:

Textile chemistry isn't my area, so I'll fill in for Mr. Clean as best I can LOL. Brine will certainly remove old and new blood stains and it has nothing to do with breaking down proteins, because although salt denatures proteins it does not digest or easily untangle them. Good thing because we have salts in our blood ;-)

What you guys are missing is that the stain is not caused by the "protein" but rather the bonding of the iron on the active site (the tiny, jewel embedded in the overall large hemoglobin protein which is where the action is). That's the same one that changes from red to blue when it picks up oxygen, so you see even oxygen has an effect in some situations too.

If you swamp the stain in brine, the protein will unfold enough to allow the iron to dissociate from its ionic bonds and be replaced by the excess of sodium, which also is charged. The moment the iron is lost, so is the color.

The stain is now anemic, and some of the protein will also be lifted due to the electrostatic interactions, but some will stay. Just like if you cleaned with a good detergent, it gets dissipated slowly. There is no need for abrasive action due to sodium chloride and unless you dump a very lot of salt in there the NaCl will likely all dissolve. If there is excess, though, over 25% by weight, then sure, the abrasive action will help.

But really, her clothes are still somewhat soiled, but over time it will mostly get worn out of the material and be deposited in microscopic sprinkles wherever she goes in the clothes. Tell her to put an UV light on it LOL. Then next time you are in a 5 star hotel, check the sheets with a UV light too. It's always nice to see the world in a different light. Perhaps if we were cats we would still see the residual blood ;-)

OK. Regarding salt as a remedy to lift blood stains. I just got an email from my friend. He wrote:

Textile chemistry isn't my area, so I'll fill in for Mr. Clean as best I can LOL. Brine will certainly remove old and new blood stains and it has nothing to do with breaking down proteins, because although salt denatures proteins it does not digest or easily untangle them. Good thing because we have salts in our blood ;-)

What you guys are missing is that the stain is not caused by the "protein" but rather the bonding of the iron on the active site (the tiny, jewel embedded in the overall large hemoglobin protein which is where the action is). That's the same one that changes from red to blue when it picks up oxygen, so you see even oxygen has an effect in some situations too.

If you swamp the stain in brine, the protein will unfold enough to allow the iron to dissociate from its ionic bonds and be replaced by the excess of sodium, which also is charged. The moment the iron is lost, so is the color.

The stain is now anemic, and some of the protein will also be lifted due to the electrostatic interactions, but some will stay. Just like if you cleaned with a good detergent, it gets dissipated slowly. There is no need for abrasive action due to sodium chloride and unless you dump a very lot of salt in there the NaCl will likely all dissolve. If there is excess, though, over 25% by weight, then sure, the abrasive action will help.

But really, her clothes are still somewhat soiled, but over time it will mostly get worn out of the material and be deposited in microscopic sprinkles wherever she goes in the clothes. Tell her to put an UV light on it LOL. Then next time you are in a 5 star hotel, check the sheets with a UV light too. It's always nice to see the world in a different light. Perhaps if we were cats we would still see the residual blood ;-)

Thank your friend for the answer.

Instead of dousing your barbeque coals with lighter fluid starter, you can apparently throw a handful of potato chips on top of the coals and light them on fire. They're so greasy they create a burn slow enough to catch the coals on fire.

How to clean a showerhead:

DSC_0798.jpg

DSC_0799.jpg

after+shower+head.jpg

Distilled White Vinegar in a baggie, let soak for one hour. Boom.

Back
Top Bottom