Best Overall Solo Single That Missed the UK Top 20?

Best Overall Solo Single That Missed the UK Top 20?

• Dagenham Dave (Nobody Loves Us/You Must Please Remember)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
yeah it was a tough call for me between boxers, my love life and sunny which are three of my most beloved morrissey songs from one of his best periods. its weird to me how it went from vauxhall to this stuff to southpaw which was like a left turn for me. i think the court stuff obviously really effected him and the albums.

The Boy Racer was the one track off of Southpaw that fit into contemporary music of its time. While the album itself was years ahead of what was going on in 1995, Boy Racer could have seemingly fit into radio play with a little more of a push. The tune still holds up today but back then it was innovative yet hard enough rocking for what was considered popular rock music.

I feel that the Boy Racer should have charted better.

My favourite is also "My Love Life" though I did vote for "Sunny". If "Wicked Game" can be an international hit why not "My Love Life"?

My favourite is also "My Love Life" though I did vote for "Sunny". If "Wicked Game" can be an international hit why not "My Love Life"?

I know a lot of people love "My Love Life," but it never struck a chord with me. I like it okay, and I like the video okay, but to me they both really don't go anywhere. I think this is why the video actually does fit with the song nicely, because they both just drive around slowly, not going anywhere. I think Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game" is ten times better than "My Love Life." That's just how I feel about the two songs. I understand the comparison that you drew between the two, but I just hear the songs differently.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah wicked game is awesome. im a big isaak fan and play blue hotel all the time.

It still grates on me how he chose to release "Roy's Keen" as the single instead of "Lost".

"Lost" is just a truly amazing, beautiful song and I think he would have had a top 10 hit with it.

Get some new ears for Xmas.

Thanks for the advice pal. :)

"Wicked Game" for the record is a great song and I like Chris Isaak. "My Love Life" is also a great song released less than a year after "Wicked Game" (so same time period) and has similar themes and a similar musical style yet received no push and didn't become a hit. "Wicked Game" received that push and as such became a hit. Although crazily enough "My Love Life" charted higher in Ireland than "Wicked Game" (even if that doesn't correlate to overall play count it's still curious -- to such as I anyway).

Thanks for the advice pal. :)

"Wicked Game" for the record is a great song and I like Chris Isaak. "My Love Life" is also a great song released less than a year after "Wicked Game" (so same time period) and has similar themes and a similar musical style yet received no push and didn't become a hit. "Wicked Game" received that push and as such became a hit. Although crazily enough "My Love Life" charted higher in Ireland than "Wicked Game" (even if that doesn't correlate to overall play count it's still curious -- to such as I anyway).

All very good, except you seem to have overlooked the fact that 'My Love Life' is actually a piss weak song.

I've Changed My Plea To Guilty as performed on Johnathan Ross in the early 90s is my favourite Morrissey recording full stop. I much prefer it to the studio version.

Last edited by a moderator:

I never thought of those songs as being alike before (and I like Chris Isaak a lot), but I do see what you mean now that you mention it! Wicked Game did have that great Herb Ritts video with Helena C + CI looking unbelievably hot, which I'm sure helped to make it a hit.

thasts a really good song that didnt need the push but got it because its a great song. that descending simple guitar line is great and enough by itself to make the song memorable. add the great lyrics and vocals and its over the top. great production as well. also good to add that he wrote nothing like it before or after. its easier to accept it being a fantastic oddity so to speak and be less critical of it that way. if morrissey released it it would have been more of the same vein and what people expected from him and that makes people less forgiving despite quality. only song that sorta sounds like wicked game in isaaks catalog might be lie to me but thats a bout it. wicked game also has a very tried and true vocal lyrical hook thtas nice but gets old when youve heard it a million times. morrisseys songs, for better or worse, can often be much more musically complicated at times. his lyrics are always almost more complicated than those of wicked game which is kinda vague and relies on emotional empathy than it does storytelling.

thasts a really good song that didnt need the push but got it because its a great song. that descending simple guitar line is great and enough by itself to make the song memorable. add the great lyrics and vocals and its over the top. great production as well. also good to add that he wrote nothing like it before or after. its easier to accept it being a fantastic oddity so to speak and be less critical of it that way. if morrissey released it it would have been more of the same vein and what people expected from him and that makes people less forgiving despite quality. only song that sorta sounds like wicked game in isaaks catalog might be lie to me but thats a bout it. wicked game also has a very tried and true vocal lyrical hook thtas nice but gets old when youve heard it a million times. morrisseys songs, for better or worse, can often be much more musically complicated at times. his lyrics are always almost more complicated than those of wicked game which is kinda vague and relies on emotional empathy than it does storytelling.

About "Wicked Game": Despite being released as a single in 1989, it did not become a hit until it was later featured in the David Lynch film Wild at Heart (1990). Lee Chesnut, an Atlanta radio station music director who loved David Lynch films, began playing the song and it quickly became a nationwide top ten hit in January 1991, reaching #6 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, making it the first hit song of his career.

"Wicked Game" was helped along and was able to break through on the American charts which of course means it eventually became a worldwide hit. I personally think it is indeed a great song and deserved to be a hit; I'm not suggesting otherwise. But to say it didn't need push is not the case.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom