Best film/documentary about Moz?

cool ill check the more technical one out. i mostly feel as you do that they just kinda come off as superficial and cheap most of the time. i remember watching one smiths doc that had saul from creation records, porter, street and a bunch of others but it was still kinda trite. smiths under review maybe? anyway it had this totally coked up looking guy talking a mile a min that just made me grate my teeth. not worth watching

The Importance makes me cringe at some points, like the music playing as he drives in the convertible or when he awkwardly shows the camera crew around his house.

Awesome! I've only ever made it into one concert film (that I know of).

At the end of "Who Put The M" there is a guy in a Red shirt and a guy in a Black leather jacket. The camera goes through the gap between us to Salford Lads Club. I am the guy in the Red shirt. Also, two other shots of me in that DVD but I don't like those so they shall not be noted.

At the end of "Who Put The M" there is a guy in a Red shirt and a guy in a Black leather jacket. The camera goes through the gap between us to Salford Lads Club. I am the guy in the Red shirt. Also, two other shots of me in that DVD but I don't like those so they shall not be noted.

I'll make sure to avert my eyes any time I see a red shirt other than during the specified shot!

I stumbled upon that other documentary a while back...where Stephen Street, etc. discuss the albums. Definitely interesting viewing.

Awesome! I've only ever made it into one concert film (that I know of).

I can't believe after all these years that I didn't realise Morrissey shaking my hand during November Spawned A Monster at The Enmore Theatre was on this documentary! I just spotted it at around 17:51. I remember the exact lyric and him saying thank you. Bizarre how you can miss these things :rolleyes:

There's an excellent documentary called Jewel in the Crown, which follows Morrissey's evolution as a solo artist from Viva Hate to the Maladjusted era or thereabouts. It features interviews with Stephen Street, Vini Reilly, Clive Langer, Mark Nevin, and other Moz collaborators as well as various journalists and other talking heads, and delves deeply into the writing and recording process of each album. The focus isn't so much Morrissey the man, but rather his wonderful body of work, with fascinating input from those who were essential to its creation. If you're interested in the more technical aspects of creating music, it's worth watching. Last I checked, the entire documentary was on YouTube.

We started watching this tonight, and despite the lack of any of Morrissey's music, it's quite good! It was tough to watch Stephen Street and Vini Reilly disputing each other over authorship, though. I really like Vini's music, but I found him very hard to believe—same goes for some of Gannon's commentary.

We'll watch the second half tomorrow!

i dont know. ive always found the opposite hard to believe. stephen never replicated the song writing thing again despite large success but still went on to work in music and its honestly hard to see him playing the guitar like that except for maybe the guitar on suedehead which isnt the most impressive. i dont think chord progressions are songs either so that routes not gonna convince me if he only wrote the chord progressions which is what i seem to remember him claiming in his defense. i dont know, doesnt seem trust worthy either from the morrissey thing. i never knew why they ended there relationship

We started watching this tonight, and despite the lack of any of Morrissey's music, it's quite good! It was tough to watch Stephen Street and Vini Reilly disputing each other over authorship, though. I really like Vini's music, but I found him very hard to believe—same goes for some of Gannon's commentary.

We'll watch the second half tomorrow!
Street and Reilly actually made amends very recently, after Reilly's mea culpa in this interview with Julie Hamill. See the note at the bottom. It's a great interview, though a bit bleak. I'm glad you're enjoying the documentary.

Anonymous said:
I dont know. ive always found the opposite hard to believe. stephen never replicated the song writing thing again despite large success but still went on to work in music and its honestly hard to see him playing the guitar like that except for maybe the guitar on suedehead which isnt the most impressive.
I think the dispute was mainly about songwriting and arrangement credits, not instrumentation. It's blatantly obvious which guitar parts are played by Reilly; he has a very distinct sound and it's hard to believe anyone could mistake it for someone else, especially with the knowledge that he was involved with the album. I never took a side in the Street/Reilly debate, though I will say that a few songs sound more Reilly-influenced than others, particularly Late Night, Maudlin Street, which could have easily fit on a Durutti Column album.

im glad to hear about the amends cause im of course a big fan of both people. it just seems obvious to me from what i can hear and from what theyve said that the songs are what they are, good, because of both of them.

i also just wanna say that instrumentation is for me extremely integral to songwriting and therefore the credit. its integral to what makes a song listenable. many people say they wrote the chord progressionsandf therefore the song and that the notation the guitarist comes up with isnt important and i just cant get behind that.

^^^^^
Late 80s (1989).

So you've had your coffee and are ready to take on the day.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._A._Pennebaker

Slept in until 9. Still nursing my first cup of coffee. Thanks for the link. Have not seen any of his other films--but what a body of work! The mobile phones in 101 are the size of a sneaker. And the audience is smoking inside at the gigs. Times have changed--for the better.

Times have changed. I don't know that anyone has played the Rose Bowl that way since. In 1992, The Cure played half-house at the Rose Bowl...still 50,000 people. Opening acts were Dinosaur Jr. and The Cranes. It was a great show.

At The Cure show ("Wish" tour), yes.

First time seeing DM was back-to-back nights at Dodger Stadium in 1990

as a one time aside, not a derailment, i just posted a jay (from dino) solo song from his new acoustic album that i think is great. just wanted to make you aware of it if you werent already b.g. carry on

Back
Top Bottom