Happy 19th Birthday to Southpaw Grammar

Today at work, after I listened to WPINOYB for the 100th time, I put on Maladjusted, Southpaw and then the reissues of both. I definitely prefer the originals of both albums but I dig the reissues as well.

Unquestionably the most underrated Morrissey album. Though it is probably the only Morrissey album where the band out performs Morrissey.

I skipped 4th period in the 10th grade and left campus to pick up Southpaw Grammar on the day of its release. I remember paying $2 more just to buy it at the shop (Record Rack) where Morrissey had done the in-store signing in 1992. The other reason was so that I could stare at "The Loop" the French 5 track CD they had in their glass case that I never bought. My English teacher caught me crossing the street back onto campus and dumb me (thinking he would be cool about it being he was a fan of the Smiths) showed him what I bought while off campus for a period. He took my CD player away and said I could pick it up after school. It was a deal he made with me instead of turning me in for leaving campus. I only had the CD case for two more classes and remember hating the sleeve for only having half of the lyrics to the first track printed inside.

As I listened to it on the bus ride home and I loved it. I remember it lasted the entire ride home and ended as I walked up my driveway.
Southpaw Grammar was my first Morrissey purchase on the day of a release and I've tried to keep up that tradition since then.

Back
Top Bottom