Richard Blade (Sirius XM radio) talks about promoting Morrissey; writes open letter / email

Re: Richard Blade on Moz: "He is too great an artist to allow his talents to be squandered in pettin

Morrissey only seems to spend time with people on his payroll or fans (Julia, Russell Brand). They are all going to continuously tell him "yes". Richard Blade is risking being banished for his statement, but he's right.

Re: Richard Blade on Moz: "He is too great an artist to allow his talents to be squandered in pettin

That's good to hear, then. I hope this course of action somehow makes a positive difference.

(And I really had no idea Blade was ever broadcast on the East Coast—I've always just associated him with Moz's KROQ session and CA. That's neither here nor there, though!)

It probably won't, although I'd love to be wrong there. I agree, Blade could have handled it with more discretion on the olive branch.

The larger point on his potential historical impact on Morrissey's 'career' is that LA is a big market, just as NYC. Putting that kind of attention out in those formative years must have had a trickle-down effect.

I don't know who Richard Blade is but if Morrissey was a perfect human being of perfection he wouldn't have been able to make all of those brilliant records. You take the rough with the smooth to dial a cliche.

When other people have their heads on the line and have to fund paying the band, the taxman, etc, then they're allowed an equal say. Until that day comes Moz is the boss and what he says goes, that's life. If people don't like it they can f*** off and that goes more for the moaning pisswits that fill this site up than anyone.

Exactly my point.

This is how he has always done it and always will. You people do realise the person's lyrics you are listening to is a far from perfect human being right? If he was easy to deal with and had a perfect business model when dealing with record companies he wouldn't actually be Morrissey. Now you can either accept that or move on, but your whinging is pointless. You can question who he works with all you like but it's only more pointless speculation on your part.

Do any of you actually have any idea how difficult it is to get your artistic vision funnelled through a company whose sole reason to exist is to make money? I didn't think so.

How do you guys think you've been able to hear Morrissey's music all these years? It hasn't been a product brought forth out of smooth sailing that's for sure. My guess is you guys just like the sound of your own voice. You don't have anything to do with the way Morrissey conducts himself so I just don't see the point in whinging about it. None of his record deals have gone smoothly and none of them ever will. You can either accept the drama or go listen to someone who is a piece of clay. Get over it and enjoy the music while it still lasts.

His life is opera for god's sake!

Last edited:

This is how he has always done it and always will. You people do realise the person's lyrics you are listening to is a far from perfect human being right? If he was easy to deal with and had a perfect business model when dealing with record companies he wouldn't actually be Morrissey. Now you can either accept that or move on, but your whinging is pointless. You can question who he works with all you like but it's only more pointless speculation on your part.

Do any of you actually have any idea how difficult it is to get your artistic vision funnelled through a company whose sole reason to exist is to make money? I didn't think so.

How do you guys think you've been able to hear Morrissey's music all these years? It hasn't been a product brought forth out of smooth sailing that's for sure. My guess is you guys just like the sound of your own voice. You don't have anything to do with the way Morrissey conducts himself so I just don't see the point in whinging about it. None of his record deals have gone smoothly and none of them ever will. You can either accept the drama or go listen to or go listen to someone who is a piece of clay. Get over it and enjoy the music while it still lasts.

Yes, all of this. ^^^

If someone wants to actively help (like Richard Blade or Jonathan Ross inviting him on their stations/shows), I think that's great. Once public figures start putting on Amanda Palmer-esque displays of condescension, I'm not interested—and surely Morrissey isn't, either. He is the sum of his parts, and if he wants advice, he'll ask for it.

Well, aren't you a pleasant one. Blade has been very instrumental in Moz's solo career. The "moaning pisswits" may very well "f*** off" and stop paying attention to Moz and his antics and stop supporting his albums and shows. It would be what he deserves. You Morrissey Apologists are part of the problem. Always giving him a pass on his bad behavior. No one expects perfection from Moz, just decency. He's now been caught in another lie.

We don't give him a pass and we don't apologise for him either. Logically, how the hell would I do that anyway? I disagree with plenty of the comments he has made. I just don't see the point in constantly complaining about it. The internet seems to have given people the idea their bickering and whinging matters somehow.

I don't see how anyone could listen to Morrissey's music and interviews and agree with everything he says. What would be the point? Your vision of us fans as some sort of mindless cult is a fallacy. You can't love Morrissey and not hate him sometimes as well but the hate only lasts a few seconds and then I'm ready to make up.

It's not an easy relationship by any means. He said so himself some years back if I recall. Now name me another artist who could ever own up to that.

We don't give him a pass and we don't apologise for him either. Logically, how the hell would I do that anyway? I disagree with plenty of the comments he has made. I just don't see the point in constantly complaining about it. The internet seems to have given people the idea their bickering and whinging matters somehow.

I don't see how anyone could listen to Morrissey's music and interviews and agree with everything he says. What would be the point? Your vision of us fans as some sort of mindless cult is a fallacy. You can't love Morrissey and not hate him sometimes as well but the hate only lasts a few seconds and then I'm ready to make up.

It's not an easy relationship by any means. He said so himself some years back if I recall. Now name me another artist who could ever own up to that.

Sorry, I am not delusional enough to believe that buying tickets and recordings constitutes any kind of relationship with Morrissey at all. If I buy a ticket to a show, I expect him to actually show up and complete the show and be entertaining. I also only pay money to support people I believe to be decent human beings, and he is falling short on that lately. I have been a fan since the 80's and have seen Moz many times (well, as many times as he has actually shown up). Just because he admits he is an asshole doesn't actually give him license to be one.

How do you guys think you've been able to hear Morrissey's music all these years? It hasn't been a product brought forth out of smooth sailing that's for sure. My guess is you guys just like the sound of your own voice. You don't have anything to do with the way Morrissey conducts himself so I just don't see the point in whinging about it. None of his record deals have gone smoothly and none of them ever will. You can either accept the drama or go listen to someone who is a piece of clay. Get over it and enjoy the music while it still lasts.

Do you know that there are bands who are self producing, self recording and self marketing and answer to no one but themselves? Morrissey could do this if he wanted to, but he chooses not to. Obviously what he deems to be his artistic integrity doesn't mean that much to him or he would lower his standards a bit and stop trying to rely on record companies that he can never seem to get along with.

Do you know that there are bands who are self producing, self recording and self marketing and answer to no one but themselves? Morrissey could do this if he wanted to, but he chooses not to. Obviously what he deems to be his artistic integrity doesn't mean that much to him or he would lower his standards a bit and stop trying to rely on record companies that he can never seem to get along with.

I'm not so sure it's about artistic integrity. If Morrissey produced, engineered and marketed all his own music it might be great for his artistic integrity but not so good in terms of what his records sound like or whether people buy them. If you think your hairdresser is doing a bad job, cutting your own hair isn't necessarily the most logical solution to that.

I'm not so sure it's about artistic integrity. If Morrissey produced, engineered and marketed all his own music it might be great for his artistic integrity but not so good in terms of what his records sound like or whether people buy them. If you think your hairdresser is doing a bad job, cutting your own hair isn't necessarily the most logical solution to that.

I was responding to this:

Sorry, I am not delusional enough to believe that buying tickets and recordings constitutes any kind of relationship with Morrissey at all. If I buy a ticket to a show, I expect him to actually show up and complete the show and be entertaining. I also only pay money to support people I believe to be decent human beings, and he is falling short on that lately. I have been a fan since the 80's and have seen Moz many times (well, as many times as he has actually shown up). Just because he admits he is an asshole doesn't actually give him license to be one.

Who said it was a relationship? How is buying records and listening to them a relationship. Where did I say that?

So reading internet posts and missing out on a few concerts somehow has given you enough insight on Morrissey not being a decent human being? He has always been abrasive. Do you think this is something new? Is it only dawning on you now that he is difficult to work with? Anyone who knows what they want in life and art is difficult to work with.

So what are your options now? More complaining about how a pop artist doesn't match your standards of decency? Why did you join in August? Was it just to add to the hundreds of repeatedly redundant posts made by a certain group of people here who seem to think we are still vague on their feelings about WPINOYB? Because if it is we already enough pains in the arse here.

Last edited:

I am aware of that. I am also aware that Morrissey said he is not interested in DIY about a million times so I don't know what to say to that.

Well, aren't you a pleasant one. Blade has been very instrumental in Moz's solo career. The "moaning pisswits" may very well "f*** off" and stop paying attention to Moz and his antics and stop supporting his albums and shows. It would be what he deserves. You Morrissey Apologists are part of the problem. Always giving him a pass on his bad behavior. No one expects perfection from Moz, just decency. He's now been caught in another lie.

You sorts that have logged on of late moaning about what Morrissey is and what he should change are the same as those people who meet the love of their life and then over the years grind them down by trying to change all the little things that they don't like about them.

So on reflection, I think moaning pisswits was a bit light. You're the kind of people that nobody needs around them.

Again, Moz is what he is and that's what's bought out all of that music that we love (well, some of us). Take it as a whole or f*** off is what I say.

Some guy on a radio show doesn't approve of Morrissey's career choices? Oh, well f***ing hell.

Morrissey has been doing this for roughly 30 years. Do you really think he's going to change? People do not change. Get over it. It's a record deal gone bad. It isn't the end of Morrissey's world. All you have control over is how you hear his music coming out of the speakers and on stage. The rest has sweet f*** all to do with us. Close your eyes and try to imagine just how meaningless these rants about how he operates are to him. Does that put it in perspective for you? You're just howling at the moon.

What the hell do you want to be his guidance counsellor for? Life is too f***ing short...

My_Sheep_Hear.jpg

Richard Blade just updated his official Facebook page, sharing an email he sent to a fan who took umbrage with a remark he made about Morrissey during his radio show. As I'm sure most of you know, Blade has been a staunch supporter of Morrissey since the early 90s and played an instrumental role in introducing Morrissey's music to an American audience. He's far from a "hater," so the critical content of his post came as somewhat of a surprise. His words echo the sentiments many have expressed here, myself included.

I wish Moz would change in certain ways. Not in his music or political or ethical stances - I agree, that makes him the artist we love. But I feel he cheats himself in his attitude towards his live shows and often towards his fans. Too many people - hangers on - around him just agree with everything he does and are unwilling to question him for fear of being banished from his life. That's not a good environment for any artist or person. We all make mistakes - God knows I do - and we need people to point them out. NOBODY is doing that for Morrissey. That's why he feels at odds to the world.

I know the guy personally and have great respect for him but someone close to him has to say at some point "you are blowing every opportunity you are getting." But no one dares to.

He is too great an artist to allow his talents to be squandered in pettiness. I hope that someone he trusts will stand up to him one day and say "just try it this way." Some people need an intervention and I feel that at this point in his career it would serve Morrissey and all of us fans of his if he were to get that much needed direction sooner rather than later.

That's my two cents!

Thanks for listening and either way I'll keep playing Moz and The Smiths for you.

All the best

Richard

...the full post, including the email that prompted this response, can be found here (Aug. 20, 3:50pm).

See also the Richard Blade Facebook page update on Aug. 20( 5:18pm). Link posted by Miss Mozzarella (original post).

Sus Lew posted this link on my other page http://true-to-you.net/morrissey_news_140820_01 Thanks so much for the link - and I suggest everyone read it as it appears to be Morrissey's own words. HOWEVER what Moz doesn't say is how hard he worked NOT to promote the album. We tried so hard to have him on Sirius XM doing whatever he wanted - a two hour interview, a live concert an in-studio performance, just name it. 26 million listeners. They were going to fly me out to New York to host it so Moz would feel safe. But he wouldn't do it. And did he appear on other terrestrial stations that play his music - Live 105, 91X and of course, KROQ? Answer - no. And did he do local stations when he was on tour before the sad cancellation? No. If he had made the effort to get the word out perhaps the label would have been a lot more forthcoming with their promotion. But if an artist won't take the time to promote their own album then what can a record label do? THAT is the question that Morrissey needs to address - "Why did you not work to promote your own record?". None of the rest of us expects things to just handed to us, we all have to work for it whether you're Ryan Seacrest or a Barista at Starbucks. It's a new era, everything has changed. Step up Moz, put on your big boy britches and kick some ass. You are good enough to do it. Don't let it all just fall away and then blame others. You are as responsible as they are for your career.

Miss Mozzarella also posts (original post) the update to Richard Blade's page (Aug. 20, 7:13pm) with the email he sent to Morrissey:

OK - I just sent Morrissey this e mail. Fingers crossed!!
Moz, you say you have had so many problems promoting "World Peace" - well here is an open invitation to come onto Sirius XM radio and talk about, perform or whatever you would like to do for our 26 million + listeners across the USA and Canada. You know me and you know that it would be a great interview as I have been with you since 1983 and the KROQ and Howie Klein years through to today. If you would like to limit it to just an interview then that's good. If you would like to perform a few songs as well then let's do it. If you would like to do a full concert at the studios in front of a live audience then absolutely. You can determine the format and length - no restrictions. I hope you will give this your full consideration. You deserve to be heard on a national platform. I always tell my listeners that of all the thousands of interviews I've done over the years that your's was by far the best. "With Morrissey," I always say "you have to bring your 'A' game. The guy is quick, funny and intelligent, and if you don't keep up with him it's over." I would love the listeners to hear your side of the story, your experience with the 'business' side of the music biz and what you've been through over the past decade. You are beloved by millions and they in turn would be thrilled to hear the words coming directly from you. I hope to hear from you soon. Respectfully, Richard Blade.
Morrissey Official
Boz Boorer
Howie Klein

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Article: Richard Blade (Sirius XM radio) talks about promoting Morrissey; writes open letter / e

Normally an intervention works when someone has hit rock bottom. Morrissey is likely not at that point yet and may never be. Unless he is without a label, unable to sell out live shows, and penniless, he will likely never change. His ego is too big - like many addicts!

I was responding to this:

It can be done. Look at Kate Bush, for example. Uncompromising since day one.

Morrissey doesn't need an intervention. He just needs to get it together. The behind the scenes accounts of WPINOYB recording in France showed Morrissey to be the driving force almost in every way. I think forming his own label done his way is the only option at this point. I know he is not a DIY fan but he should weigh the alternatives. His new album proves he has a lot of work left in him and that he is as good as ever.

Some guy on a radio show doesn't approve of Morrissey's career choices? Oh, well f***ing hell.

Morrissey has been doing this for roughly 30 years. Do you really think he's going to change? People do not change. Get over it. It's a record deal gone bad. It isn't the end of Morrissey's world. All you have control over is how you hear his music coming out of the speakers and on stage. The rest has sweet f*** all to do with us. Close your eyes and try to imagine just how meaningless these rants about how he operates are to him. Does that put it in perspective for you? You're just howling at the moon.

What the hell do you want to be his guidance counsellor for? Life is too f***ing short...

Go back to 1991 or 1992.. even in 1997 Morrissey was everywhere.

Midnight record store signings.
Hangin' With MTV
Live on 120 Minutes with Dave Kendall
On Rockline playing live songs and taking phone calls from fans.
Giving a copy of Life at Hammersmith Odeon from the tail end of the Kill Uncle tour to KROQ where they played the entire show twice!

So your logic that people, Morrissey specifically does not change is very misguided and factually incorrect.

Here, Mr. Blade is calling Moz out on his bullshit that NO ONE ASKED. Blade said he was willing to kiss Morrissey's ass to help promote the new album and Morrissey, given full opportunity to do it any way he wanted chose not to.

Even if Harvest had no plans to promote the record, the fact that Morrissey had a chance and didn't take it means he MUST take his fair share of the blame.

Morrissey's sob story is a joke. I have no idea what Morrissey wants. I think he just wants to play victim.

Re: Article: Richard Blade (Sirius XM radio) talks about promoting Morrissey; writes open letter / e

As a kid that grew up in Los Angeles when KROQ was a tastemaker (1984 through 1990-ish), Richard Blade was my John Peel--his opinion means a lot.

With that said, he f***ing nailed it with this post.

In my opinion, Richard Blade's posting is spot on. Morrissey is his own worse enemy. All this drama--he cannot keep insisting he's ALWAYS the victim the 657th time! Come on. He did have friends who weren't in it for the spotlight, who tried to say "there's another way, Moz" but, duh, Morrissey just gets rid of them. Because at the end of the day there are too many fawning fakesters ready to get in line. Why would you ever want to confront your issues if you can just move on to the next "friend"?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom