"You have a lovely singing voice, a lovely singing voice..."

A

Anonymous

Let us now celebrate Morrissey's incredible voice.
Not just in singing but also his sexy talking voice.
Seriously, everyone goes on and on about the lyrics but very few ever give him enough credit for being a genius vocalist. His voice, as an instrument, is so expressive; he expresses so many emotions through it. It's also completely unique, his style of singing like no other... but also, how INVENTIVE is he with his voice? The sounds, the shrieks, the unique memorable way he phrases everything.

There are moments of vocal beauty and brilliance in almost every song he's ever done.
I'm listening to 'I Won't Share You' and the way he phrases "my head" when he sings "Has the Perrier gone straight to my head" is so moving and the way he stretches out "Know know know know know" so that it transforms into "no no no no no". O it's so beautiful.

Yes, that's what it all boils down to. Morrissey is a singular vocalist, capable of expressing deep, complex emotions and sudden emotional shifts - he can pack more meaning into one line (or even one syllable) than most others can express in a song (or an album, or even an entire career).

You can attack Morrissey on many fronts, but you cannot deny the power of his voice: love it or hate it, it burrows deep under the skin and stays there for life.

Last edited:
I love the way he sings "I am two people"... Just Kidding!!!

But he can drive me to tears in these songs:

Come back to Candem
Late night, Maudlin street
I know it's over

and now:

Forgive someone

I know it's over

I agree with all the songs on your list but I think I Know It's Over is such a work of rare beauty.

I'm listening to Sing Your Life, which is a song I always really liked but never one I held as highly as others, but his vocals on that are so good.
It's the way he phrases "life".

"And all those who sing the wrong the key
They stole the notion from you and me"

... Morrissey is a singular vocalist, capable of expressing deep, complex emotions and sudden emotional shifts - he can pack more meaning into one line (or even one syllable) than most others can express in a song (or an album, or even an entire career).

You can attack Morrissey on many fronts, but you cannot deny the power of his voice: love it or hate it, it burrows deep under the skin and stays there for life.

so cute and correct :)

this differs him from all other singers i've ever heard

p.s. %

Biggest career mistake/lost opportunity was not reading Autobiography. After hearing those spoken words videos, my heart sank with grief knowing just how brilliant his book would have sounded if HE had provided the vocals. :(

His singing and speaking voice is the most beautiful thing I've ever heard.

Late Night Maudlin Street gets me EVERY TIME.

So many indie/rock singers have a horrible voice but great material and a great band. He's a rarity.

What is generally being acknowledged here is what makes our man such a singular artist.
He is a marvellous songwriter and singer.
If he only did one of these things he would do well.
What lets him down is the soap opera that he appears to live in.
All this stuff about record labels, concert cancellations, death threats, racist comments etc.
It's such a distraction from a wonderful talent.

Last half of Pigsty from Greatest Hits CD2

I know it's over from the Portchester bootleg

Maudlin Street from the Boy Happy single

Back
Top Bottom