Happy 17th birthday to “Maladjusted"

fredkocherpepsi

Released 11 August 1997

Now go and see an “R” rated movie :)

The much maligned "Maladjusted" - let's revisit this - as if there was you know an old school society...

My god I can't believe that was 17 years ago.

And now here we are, looking at the start of another wilderness period.

Ha! I was going song-by-song, got to "Satan..." and the computer crashed!

I’ll try:

1) Maladjusted - This song grew on me. It’s an awesome opening track and I love it on 25Live
2) Alma Matters - I’ve seen some say this is the worst Moz single ever, which blows my mind. Super catchy and again, sounds great even years later on 25Live
3) Ambitious Outsiders - Reminds me of something from “Viva Hate”
4) Trouble Loves Me - Total gem of a Morrissey song. Classic.
5) Papa Jack - Not nearly as bad as it’s made out to be. Would’ve rather had this on the reissue* than “Sorrow Will Come In The End”
6) Ammunition - Good song. Not incredible but not bad.
7) Wide To Receive - Another really good ballad.
8) Roy’s Keen - Kinda blows my mind this was a single. It’s catchy, sure, but lyrically not one of his best by a long shot.
9) He Cried - see “Ammunition”
10) Sorrow Will Come In The End - I think he hates the judicial system? Not sure. Pointless track, the people who bought the U.K. version are lucky that it wasn’t on there.
11) Satan Rejected My Soul - Kinda an odd album closer, IMO but it works. I love this song and it is nice to end on a high note.

*I haven’t listened to the reissue nearly as much as the standard but I am not a big fan of the re-jiggered track lists that he seems to love so much. Also, I hate that he kept “Sorrow” on here.

I’ll try:

1) Maladjusted - This song grew on me. It’s an awesome opening track and I love it on 25Live
2) Alma Matters - I’ve seen some say this is the worst Moz single ever, which blows my mind. Super catchy and again, sounds great even years later on 25Live
5) Papa Jack - Not nearly as bad as it’s made out to be. Would’ve rather had this on the reissue* than “Sorrow Will Come In The End”
8) Roy’s Keen - Kinda blows my mind this was a single. It’s catchy, sure, but lyrically not one of his best by a long shot.
10) Sorrow Will Come In The End - I think he hates the judicial system? Not sure. Pointless track, the people who bought the U.K. version are lucky that it wasn’t on there.
11) Satan Rejected My Soul - Kinda an odd album closer, IMO but it works. I love this song and it is nice to end on a high note.

*I haven’t listened to the reissue nearly as much as the standard but I am not a big fan of the re-jiggered track lists that he seems to love so much. Also, I hate that he kept “Sorrow” on here.

Yeah, this is pretty much where I fall on each of these tracks, too, except I like "Roy's Keen." So that's me and nobody else, apparently! I was working at Borders when Maladjusted came out and we played it on the PA system a lot, so it's always going to remind me of setting up book display tables. That's a good thing and a bad thing, I guess.

"Trouble Loves Me" really is a perfect song. One of his ten lyrical high points, I think.

Yeah, this is pretty much where I fall on each of these tracks, too, except I like "Roy's Keen." So that's me and nobody else, apparently! I was working at Borders when Maladjusted came out and we played it on the PA system a lot, so it's always going to remind me of setting up book display tables. That's a good thing and a bad thing, I guess.

"Trouble Loves Me" really is a perfect song. One of his ten lyrical high points, I think.

1) I actually miss Borders. We had two around here and it was my favorite of the “chain” bookstores.
2) Roy’s Keen has a great melody, just still amazes me that he chose it as a single but then again...it doesn’t surprise me at all. I made a joke on my Instagram a couple months ago when I posted a screen shot of the song that it’s the “best song ever about a window cleaner”. :)

I’ll try:

Agree with much of this. Why Wide To Receive is not more, erm, widely received is an utter mystery. The arrangement is fantastic: the phased sheen in the background, the bluesy bent notes, the clarinet solo, the 12-string on the coda, the beautiful harmony vocal Alain provides. The simple yet effective - and timely, then - lyric. A thing of fragile beauty. I also love the outro on Papa Jack. It makes sense to me.

I bought the Alma Matters single a week or so before and from day one felt he would come to regret leaving Heir Apparent and I Can Have Both off the album. The reissue felt like a vindication - deleting Roy's Keen pissing me off aside.

I listened to this for the first time sitting in my car in the dirt parking lot of Lemos Feed & Pet Supply in Atascadero. I think I bought it a few months after it was released. I was out if the loop up there without KROQ and before the internet was a daily thing. I loved it. Not as much as I loved WP first time.

Just gave it another listen ........... Goodness .................... the words to the first song keep spilling out and your mind just tries to keep up. Such malice for an opening song . Great album

The title track is a ball buster! I'm so glad we got to hear it in the live set when he dropped by in 2012 Dec.

I love this album so much. I walked for miles on a sweltering hot day to buy it from the only shop I knew what had a copy, so that might account for why I hold it so close to my heart, but the album itself just appeals to me so much and I think it's actually a great piece of work. I feel like it's a better album than all of his more recent ones apart from the latest and maybe Ringleaders. It's his last English album too, with the Newley quote and everything, it just feels like the last time where he was clearly writing about a time, a place and a culture that he understood, rather than the later albums where he seems like a tourist writing about the cultures he does from a more superficial level.
I was mortified when I saw what Morrissey did with the reissue. For me, it will always be that album with that tracklist (UK version without the hideous Joyce track) and that cover.
Wonderful.

It has a few great songs. 'Maladjusted' (one of my favourite Moz songs) 'Alma Matters', Trouble loves me', 'Wide to receive'. But there's too much filler for me and it is my least favourite Moz album and the one I listen to the least.

But I might have to go and dust it off and give it a listen, to celebrate it's birthday.

I listened to this for the first time sitting in my car in the dirt parking lot of Lemos Feed & Pet Supply in Atascadero. I think I bought it a few months after it was released. I was out if the loop up there without KROQ and before the internet was a daily thing. I loved it. Not as much as I loved WP first time.

You assume everyone knows what Atascadero is. California is not the world.

Back
Top Bottom