Is Vauxhall And I Better Than Any Smiths Album?

H

Hornyssey

Some people said before that "Strangeways" is the Smiths masterpiece, but I don't think so, I think "Death at one's elbow" and "Unhappy Birthday" are just good songs but no GREAT songs just are fillers, some smiths album are so overrated, anyway what do you think?

The Smiths debut album is better than anything you will ever hear. As for strangeways, it's as good as MIM & QID, death at ones elbow is a great tune IMO, "There's somebody here, who'll take a hatchet to your ear!"....Paint a vulgar picture is just incredible, so is i wont share you, they're truly great tracks imo, not to mention A rush and a push, Stop me if you think, last night i dreamt, gf in a coma. "Death of a disco dancer" isnt great, imagine if that was replaced with "I Keep Mine Hidden". You're talking about smiths albums being overrated, i say not a chance, the smiths are the best thing since sliced bread and always will be. (and vauxhall is very good too)

Strangeways is definitely not The Smiths best album.
Morrissey and Marr say it is because they want it to look like they went out on an upward curve and some fans have fallen for it, but it was a step down from the previous two masterpieces and everyone knows it!
Vauxhall & I is obviously Morrissey's best studio album and only a fool would think otherwise.
Howevs! Even 'The Smiths' is better than 'Vauxhall & I' and that's by far the worst Smiths album.

These are the facts, girls!

Vauxhall & I?

1. Production is rubbish, even on the remaster.

2. Almost half the album's songs are cringeworthy shite:

"Hold on to Your Friends"
"Why Don't You Find Out for Yourself"
"I Am Hated for Loving"
"Used to Be a Sweet Boy"
"The Lazy Sunbathers"

Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself is a great song and I love the album. I have to be in the right mood, and the weather can't be sunny for me to listen to it, though. Weird I know.

But no, this album doesn't top The Smiths. Production aside, I actually love the debut album, even if most of the songs sounded better live.

Vauxhall & I?

"I Am Hated for Loving"
"Used to Be a Sweet Boy"
"The Lazy Sunbathers"

The irony is that that word itself is... well...

That's a really tough question because I tend to put the Smiths and Morrissey into two separate categories and not compare them, but I definitely do listen to Morrissey more frequently than the Smiths. On an individual song level, I have previously said that I think "Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself" is the best thing Morrissey has ever done, with or without the Smiths. How to rank so many very different albums against each other, though…I just can't do it.

As far as Strangeways is concerned, it's probably my second favorite Smiths album after Meat Is Murder.

meat is murder is the smiths album for me and i think there musical songwriting peak. strangeways almost has the feel of a solo album in spots.

Vauxhall & I?

"I Am Hated for Loving"
"Used to Be a Sweet Boy"
"The Lazy Sunbathers"

Bear in mind, this is a man who thinks Years of Refusal is "kick ass".

Yes, all. I really can't understand how anyone could describe Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself as "cringeworthy shit" - it's one of Morrissey's finest.

Yes, all. I really can't understand how anyone could describe Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself as "cringeworthy shit" - it's one of Morrissey's finest.

Right, lets end this thread. Not one of Morrisseys 10 studio albums are better than any of The Smiths 4, OK, we clear on that..

Right, lets end this thread. Not one of Morrisseys 10 studio albums are better than any of The Smiths 4, OK, we clear on that..

Without a doubt the production and sound quality of WBINOYB trumps The Smiths. Makes it sound like the latter is being filter through a bathtub full of water. I also say the vocals are better on WPINOYB than The Smiths. So there you have it. At least once Moz album is better than one Smiths.

Vauxhall is good but not great, with Viva Hate, Your Arsenal and possibly Quarry (despite some lyrical gaffes) all superior albums. But I'd still regard it as better than what is by far the worst Smiths album, Meat Is Murder.

Without a doubt the production and sound quality of WBINOYB trumps The Smiths. Makes it sound like the latter is being filter through a bathtub full of water. I also say the vocals are better on WPINOYB than The Smiths. So there you have it. At least once Moz album is better than one Smiths.

That's one of your worst comments ever.

Meat is Murder may well be the best thing Moz has ever been involved in.
The album that challenges that is The Queen is Dead.

I don't understand how a Morrissey fan can think that MiM is anything other than the knees of a bee.

Are you f***ing high?

Back
Top Bottom