What makes "World Peace...." such a powerful album?

I think it must be the hugely symbolic cover photo of Morrissey holding a pen while touching himself in front of a dog.

I have one. Would you like to know what it's like?

Well it can't be very exciting seeing as you've spent so much of your time telling us how much you don't like an album. You've made your point. Move on.

Well it can't be very exciting seeing as you've spent so much of your time telling us how much you don't like an album. You've made your point. Move on.

Don't be too hasty. He's been trying to squeeze a gag out of that cover for weeks. Give him some time...

That his band doesn't sounds anymore like Green Day or Avril Lavigne "Punk Rock"

That his band doesn't sounds anymore like Green Day or Avril Lavigne "Punk Rock"
Interesting you should mention sounding like Green Day.
I assume you are referring to the main criticism of YOR?
I was thinking about this myself.
My thoughts are that the latest album kinda make YOR sound better in retrospect.
After all, the heavy guitar band sound was only for one album.
If he'd stuck with it for further releases I think it would have got tired very quickly.
But, no. He did one album with a number of tracks (not all) with quite a heavy guitar sound.
And now he has moved on and we have the interesting production techniques used on WPINOYB.
So, in retrospect, it's grand that we have a heavy metal Moz album (although it's nothing like Green Day).

Yes, I agree. His vocals have always been unique.

Even though he's much older and his voice has matured...he really knows how to work it and get the best out of it.

I've always compared Morrissey to Piaf: world-weariness agrees with him. His "single take" vocals put the most studied divas to shame.

When Morrissey stops singing, there's no one who can take his place.

The production. The production is just so lovely and crammed full of lovely little details. Caring.

Yep. Such as what I suspect sounds like nails on a chalkboard at the end of "Staircase." The devil is in the details. I love it. I love it...and I hear it bellowing from my bedroom speakers right now. Yay!

Interesting you should mention sounding like Green Day.
I assume you are referring to the main criticism of YOR?
I was thinking about this myself.
My thoughts are that the latest album kinda make YOR sound better in retrospect.
After all, the heavy guitar band sound was only for one album.
If he'd stuck with it for further releases I think it would have got tired very quickly.
But, no. He did one album with a number of tracks (not all) with quite a heavy guitar sound.
And now he has moved on and we have the interesting production techniques used on WPINOYB.
So, in retrospect, it's grand that we have a heavy metal Moz album (although it's nothing like Green Day).

I really don't understand all this talk of YOR being a rock or (even more ridiculous) heavy metal album. Three songs had fairly rocky guitars (Skull, OK and AYNIM). That's it. There's nothing remotely heavy or 'rocky' about Good in your time, Carol, People grow up, Paris, Sorry doesn't help, Farewell, Mama etc.
There's a huge mixture of stuff on there. Southpaw Grammar is different - it is loud and rocky but still pretty crap (due to bad lyrics and melodies, not the loudness of the guitars).

It's not powerful in the slightest. It's full blown shite!

"A good discussion should still be possible if we respect each other's opinion"

If you don't like it fine...that's your prerogative. But can you explain with more than one word...like"shite"?

An opinion respectfully explained.....is an opinion that may be respected.

I've always compared Morrissey to Piaf: world-weariness agrees with him. His "single take" vocals put the most studied divas to shame.

When Morrissey stops singing, there's no one who can take his place.
Imagine someone else trying to sing 'Last of the Famous International Playboys' (-Miley?)

Back
Top Bottom