Why isn't there a viable third political party in the U.S.A.? Why only Republicans vs. Democrats?

Re: Why isn't there a viable third political party in the U.S.A.? Why only Republicans vs. Democrats

Money and blind loyalty.

2a6qz3b.jpg

Re: Why isn't there a viable third political party in the U.S.A.? Why only Republicans vs. Democrats

Wish their was something else. All of the alternative seem more extreme than the main two.

Mass media has trained our brains that dichotomous thinking is the only way to think so the introduction of a third party is like a virus trying to upset the system where one or the other is the way it should be.

I would like to see the Libertarians become a viable third party.
However, they cannot even organize a dog show.

I would like to see the "Green" party become viable but their emails are, visually, unpleasant. To someone, somewhere, aesthetics matter...

I'm a member of The Tea (bagger) party and we are viable.

Joe Blow, former Log Cabin Republican

I'm a member of The Tea (bagger) party and we are viable.

Joe Blow, former Log Cabin Republican

Ah The Tea party, making Libertarians look sane.

Because Americans are afraid of a good fight.

Because, as Morrissey has said, the U.S.A., like almost all governments is a dictatorship.

Election system may be a factor too.

It's strange though, as here in Europe more and more smaller parties gain influence. It has to be said though that these are often populist movements and many disapper after a while. But I guess the Tea Party offers enough populist statements.

mattisek - man in Germany you have lots of viable parties. USA only has 2. It's pathetic man. Just like our soccer team.

:)

Election system may be a factor too.

It's strange though, as here in Europe more and more smaller parties gain influence. It has to be said though that these are often populist movements and many disapper after a while. But I guess the Tea Party offers enough populist statements.

It's exactly the electoral system. In the UK others such as UKIP or the Greens in the early 90's can prove noisy enough to affect policies but when it comes to a general election they have no chance because of the money and the scale of the operation needed to win each seat let alone enough seats to gain any kind of power. Same for the US, as an outsider your best hope is to grab headlines and pressure the main parties politically. With different electoral systems people are more likely to vote for what they believe in rather than the lesser of two evils so you get more parties involved. At least in the US they have their checks and balances which makes it a little harder to steamroller policies through thanks to the lack of opposition that a two party system creates.

Yeah, Charles, but those other parties made enough "noise" such that Mr. David Cameron has to govern in a coalition-like fashion. He can't ram the Tory policies down the people's throats, because of the fragile coalition. That, in itself, is a sort of check and balance. Plus, at least members of fringe parties can sit in your Parliament and ask the PM questions. It's more than symbolic to have a House of multiple parties - and you have that in the House of Commons.

It's exactly the electoral system. In the UK others such as UKIP or the Greens in the early 90's can prove noisy enough to affect policies but when it comes to a general election they have no chance because of the money and the scale of the operation needed to win each seat let alone enough seats to gain any kind of power. Same for the US, as an outsider your best hope is to grab headlines and pressure the main parties politically. With different electoral systems people are more likely to vote for what they believe in rather than the lesser of two evils so you get more parties involved. At least in the US they have their checks and balances which makes it a little harder to steamroller policies through thanks to the lack of opposition that a two party system creates.

Thanks.

mattisek - man in Germany you have lots of viable parties. USA only has 2. It's pathetic man. Just like our soccer team.

:)

Oh, now I realise why we won the world cup:).

How does it work at regional level in the US (counties etc)? All Republican/Democrats-dominated or are there a number of others involved too?

How does it work at regional level in the US (counties etc)? All Republican/Democrats-dominated or are there a number of others involved too?

There are actually a couple of national level third party officeholders right now—Senators Angus King and Bernie Sanders, both Independents. A lot of people (myself included) would like to see Sanders run for President in 2016; if it happens, it'll be interesting to see whether he campaigns as Democrat or an Independent.

I voted for a third party Presidential candidate (Nader) in 2000, and I took a lot of grief for it from friends and family when Bush walked away with the win over Gore. I live in a state that ALWAYS swings blue, though, so my vote was really of no consequence in the overall election. I just wanted to see the Green Party get a higher popular vote count in order to qualify for funding in the next election.

But yes, third-party (usually Independent, Libertarian, or Green Party) candidates have a lot more success locally, but it's still a two-party dominated field.*

*OK, I just looked it up: There are currently 146 Libertarians and 131 Green Party members in office at the local level right now.

Back
Top Bottom