Morrissey vs Johnny Marr net worth?

SuedeMoz

Apologies if this has already been discussed here. According to celebritynetworth.com they list Morrissey's net worth as $32 million and Johnny's at $2.5 million (links below).

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/singers/morrissey-net-worth/

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/actors/johnny-marr-net-worth/

I don't know how accurate this is, but I'm somewhat surprised by the large difference. I guess Morrissey's post-Smiths output (albums & tours) has been very lucrative. Anyway, just thought it interesting.

Apologies if this has already been discussed here. According to celebritynetworth.com they list Morrissey's net worth as $32 million and Johnny's at $2.5 million (links below).

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/singers/morrissey-net-worth/

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/actors/johnny-marr-net-worth/

I don't know how accurate this is, but I'm somewhat surprised by the large difference. I guess Morrissey's post-Smiths output (albums & tours) has been very lucrative. Anyway, just thought it interesting.

Considering that Johnny's not had a steady job or output since the Smiths, no surprise. $32M for Moz? I think that's about right. I heard he made a large chunk from the sale of his house in LA years ago. And he's notorious for finding residences where he pays little to no tax.

Considering that Johnny's not had a steady job or output since the Smiths, no surprise. $32M for Moz? I think that's about right. I heard he made a large chunk from the sale of his house in LA years ago. And he's notorious for finding residences where he pays little to no tax.

Except in many places you have to pay taxes on income you earn there. So where you live doesn't help with tour and merch taxes in those cases. And certainly taxes on income from sale of a house in LA couldn't be avoided.

Last edited:
Except in many places you have to pay taxes on income you earn there. So where you live doesn't help with tour and merch taxes in those cases. And certainly taxes on income from sale of a house in LA couldn't be avoided.

I think I recall that he bought the sweetzer house for 800k and sold it for 1.5. That wouldn't really make a dent in 32 mil.

Even if he uses Switzerland as his domicile, he still has to pay taxes on any income earned in the US, UK, etc. and don't forget the many people on his payroll, touring expenses, expenses of his and his mother's lifestyles, and payout to Joyce.

Marr's figure surprises me too. Does anyone know what kind of royalties they collect from the Smiths recordings?

I think that is fair considering their post Smiths work. How many solo Johnny songs can you hum? How many can he?

I think that is fair considering their post Smiths work. How many solo Johnny songs can you hum? How many can he?

And would humming them improve them over the sung versions? kidding, I had fun at his show and like the album.

Marr's figure surprises me too. Does anyone know what kind of royalties they collect from the Smiths recordings?

Mike Joyce got £1.1m representing 3/5 of his royalties for Smiths records from 1983 to 1996. So he earned £1.8m or £1.9 altogether. I **reckon** Johnny and Morrissey would have been left with at least twice that after the court case, given additional songwriting and production royalties. So maybe £3.7 million. On top of that, there's money from touring, which can't have been piffling (particularly the US tours) and maybe merchandising. Since 1996, there have been some cover versions which were probably pretty lucrative (Tatu, Charmed theme tune, Mark Ronson, Slow Moving Millie - not a big hit, but it was on an advert). And Smiths CDs and downloads continue to sell.

Morrissey has undoubtedly made more money post-Smiths than Johnny. But Electronic had three top-ten albums in the UK and appearing on records by the likes of Oasis, Pet Shop Boys and Girls Aloud probably doesn't pay peanuts.

So I think the website has probably undervalued Johnny. But, let's face it, they're only making a random guess.

The money in music now is in touring. That's why big acts like Bowie, The Stones etc started doing massive stadium tours in the '80s and their albums turned to shit. Selling records doesn't have anywhere near the same return.
That's the major difference between Moz and Marr. While they both get the same amount from sales of Smiths records (and got the same for gigs at the time), since they split the difference in their earning capacity is massive. Morrissey has released all those albums and singles, which he gets money for; also he does TV appearances and the like, which Marr doesn't; but mainly how many tours has Morrissey down around the world since 1988?
The differences will be huge in the 26 years since...

Who gives a shit. You can't take it with you when you die.

For someone who has worked as infrequently as Johnny (sessioning aside, even his long-term projects weren't hugely successful), that's still a fairly decent pot of cash. In recent years I think quite a lot of Marr's income will have come from non-musical ventures - the signature Jaguar guitar, signature Ray Bans, and so on. He's not poor by anyone's standards.

Until he went solo, what the hell was Johnny doing all day?

I've wondered what Moz does all day when he's not touring or recording. It's not like he's cleaning or taking care of kids.

There is absolutely zero credibility to that website or any that states what someone's net worth is. It is not public information unless they die and go through probate, file bankruptcy, divorce, etc...Those figures are pulled either out the air or perhaps from their asses. They could both be worth much more. Or they could have lots of "stuff" but be leveraged to their eyeballs and need to tour to remain solvent.

makes perfect sense to me. mozs solo career sold tons and he made money. also lots of income could just come from investment. manson made more money than any one recording artist in 2013 but it was from outside investments. his net worth is like seventy million so morrissey could have also made money from earnings outside the music biz. i think people want to remember the smiths as selling more than they did

Easy solution. Stick 'em both on ebay and see how much people are willing to bid. That's how much they are worth.

funny /\ . i had no idea marr had sig ray bans. i must own these as i love those glasses (ray bans)

Back
Top Bottom