New Cure Book Sept 2014

cool thanks for the heads up. i love this kinda stuff

There's an Andy Vella print available now to promote the book! Limited to 100 copies, signed and numbered. I can't decide if I want to cough up the cash, but I had better make up my mind quickly! I love Parched Art/Andy Vella...tough to resist.

2vcdbv4.jpg

There's an Andy Vella print available now to promote the book! Limited to 100 copies, signed and numbered. I can't decide if I want to cough up the cash, but I had better make up my mind quickly! I love Parched Art/Andy Vella...tough to resist.

2vcdbv4.jpg

It's nice but I'll save my cash for the book and the double LP version of 4:13 Dream/Scram coming out later this year hopefully. Porl was my favourite Cure guitarist and the fact that he did the art as well makes me love him even more.

It's nice but I'll save my cash for the book and the double LP version of 4:13 Dream/Scram coming out later this year hopefully. Porl was my favourite Cure guitarist and the fact that he did the art as well makes me love him even more.

I'm 95% sure the cover art for 4:14 Scream will be done by Andy alone, and Robert said as much in that NME interview a few month ago. I will be absolutely shocked if Porl/Pearl has any involvement with the Cure in any capacity in the future. (Though more surprising things have happened in Cure-land in the past, so who can tell…)

And yes, Porl was my favorite Cure guitarist as well. I really miss his presence on stage.

Is this the new album that Robert Smith said isn’t good? I feel like I read him talking about releasing an album from the 2008 sessions that he doesn’t even stand behind. Or maybe I’m insane.

Is this the new album that Robert Smith said isn’t good? I feel like I read him talking about releasing an album from the 2008 sessions that he doesn’t even stand behind. Or maybe I’m insane.

He definitely hates the title, but I haven't read anything about him not standing behind the songs. I can't imagine him wanting to release something he doesn't think is good!

I've learned to only believe about 25% of what comes out of Robert's mouth, anyway. He is notorious for announcing tentative plans for releases of books/albums/concerts/DVDs that never actually materialize (or it all takes 10x longer than he imagined it would), plus he just likes lying in interviews. It's part of his charm.

Between 2008 and now, Porl left the band (again), Roger rejoined the band (again), and Reeves Gabrels somehow wound up becoming a full-time Cure. I personally will be very surprised if the next album winds up being what Robert is suggesting it will be given those circumstances, but who knows? Probably not even him...

I've learned to only believe about 25% of what comes out of Robert's mouth, anyway. He is notorious for announcing tentative plans for releases of books/albums/concerts/DVDs that never actually materialize (or it all takes 10x longer than he imagined it would), plus he just likes lying in interviews. It's part of his charm.

Between 2008 and now, Porl left the band (again), Roger rejoined the band (again), and Reeves Gabrels somehow wound up becoming a full-time Cure. I personally will be very surprised if the next album winds up being what Robert is suggesting it will be given those circumstances, but who knows? Probably not even him...

Reeves looks like a roadie. I have no idea how he made it into the cure.

The next album is just a double LP of 4:13 Dream. The songs have already been recorded. I haven't heard anything about actual new recordings.

Reeves looks like a roadie. I have no idea how he made it into the cure.

It's like Colonel Sanders wandered on stage.

The next album is just a double LP of 4:13 Dream. The songs have already been recorded. I haven't heard anything about actual new recordings.

It's leftovers from 4:13 Dream (old lineup) combined with new material (new lineup). The leftovers exist because the label refused to release a double album at the time of 4:13 Dream, but I haven't heard anything about 4:14 Scream being a double (or about it including songs that were already on 4:13 Dream). That's just based on what Robert was saying most recently, though, and it's anyone guess what he could say next month!
http://www.nme.com/news/the-cure/76461

Based on past experience, I think it's more likely that 4:14 Scream will never actually materialize, and that the band will go into the studio next year (or the year after...or the year after...) to record all-new songs.

A short interview about the book with Andy Vella:
http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2014-08-18/the-cure-photo-book-confirmed

A book featuring rare and previously unseen photographs of The Cure is set for release next month.

Collated by the band's official photographer Andy Vella, Obscure will be released on September 18 and includes a foreword by frontman Robert Smith.

Smith says the book is "dreadfully funny, terribly honest and strangely melancholic."

Vella co-created the artwork for many of The Cure's albums, including Faith, The Top, The Head On The Door, Disintegration and Wish, and has worked with the band since 1981.

The book features photographs spanning four decades and includes shots from this year's gig at The Royal Albert Hall.

"I get something different from Robert because I've known him for so long", Vella tells Classic Rock. "He plays to my lens in a completely different way to others. When I'm photographing other people, for example fashion shoots, it's very much like I'm in charge, but when I photograph The Cure, they are. Quite often, the band don't take me very seriously: Boris Williams [former drummer] used to throw stuff at me, while Roger O'Donnell would always say that my flash hadn't gone off. As a result, I'm able to capture the band enjoying themselves in a way that isn't usually seen.

"It really annoys me when I read about the band being such miserable bastards, because they're really not, and I think I capture that. I want Cure fans to see them in the way that I do. You can go on the web and see loads of shots of Robert, but the problem with press shoots is that they always show the band in a certain way. This is different: it's a little bit fly-on-the-wall.

"I think fans will end up loving the band more than they do already. When I was putting this all together, I was thinking 'there's so much stuff!', but it feels like a really powerful collection. It's not pretentious, and it's not po-faced: from page to page, it's more like a documentary. And that's what I wanted."

(via Chain of Flowers)

It's like Colonel Sanders wandered on stage.

It's leftovers from 4:13 Dream (old lineup) combined with new material (new lineup). The leftovers exist because the label refused to release a double album at the time of 4:13 Dream, but I haven't heard anything about 4:14 Scream being a double (or about it including songs that were already on 4:13 Dream). That's just based on what Robert was saying most recently, though, and it's anyone guess what he could say next month!
http://www.nme.com/news/the-cure/76461

Based on past experience, I think it's more likely that 4:14 Scream will never actually materialize, and that the band will go into the studio next year (or the year after...or the year after...) to record all-new songs.

Robert Smith did post on the cure's site that it has taken too long to get around to this 4:14 Scream release so at least he is bothering to keep us updated. Fingers crossed.

It's here!! The book is really, really nice. The paper and printing quality is very good—so rich and velvety and Cure-ish in every way. Lots of photos I've never seen before!

10611115_322115837970190_193955906_n.jpg

It's here!! The book is really, really nice. The paper and printing quality is very good—so rich and velvety and Cure-ish in every way. Lots of photos I've never seen before!

10611115_322115837970190_193955906_n.jpg

Ooohh can't wait to get my copy!

Back
Top Bottom