What is the song referenced by Morrissey on 'Oboe Concerto'?

How does this song go? Can you hum a few tunes for me?

david t.....you know the song. I'd sing it for you but....it has no tune, and it has no meaning. It's in your head right now....and mine too.

Everybody's carrying that song around. We need distractions to keep the truth at bay....the awful truth.

The song is the song of the siren.....the song of death..... If you know Morrissey's catalogue and you don't listen just superficially you'd know it...

We all have this song stuck in our head....everyone of us. The grinning skull is singing in your ear right now but you distract yourself from it.... by doing anything....anything at all but facing it. What does it mean...what does it mean? Morrissey sings in the scathing Art Hounds...

When Morrissey performs and rips his shirt off in concert after giving it everything he has he's saying look at me God or mr. Death....I did all I could as an artist....I don't have anything else....you can take my ass now.

When he talks to the world via his web site he doesn't sign under some fake ass name. When he performs or does an album it's him at his creative best making a statement about the earth and you and me and him......

He's a human being that wants to be heard.....we all want to be heard. But we were all born hysterical and spend our whole life it seems trying to get over it. We do what we can but earth is the cruelest planet that you will never understand....

Death makes life seem like a fraud....and maybe it is. Maybe your life and everything you've accomplished means no more than a dinosaur fart in a windstorm....there's a good chance that that is the truth.

Morrissey sometimes thinks that if people would not kill and eat animals we would stop being such murderous bastards....but he really knows better....that's the reason for the horrifying screams at the end of I"m Not a Man...

This album maybe the best he's every done.....but it definitely won't be the most popular. It's too damned real.....

So get over your selves......Death is waiting. You can run...but you can't hide.... The realization that we are on a spinning planet somewhere in space and all we know for certain is that we die....everyone of us....should make us better people. But the lie will continue.....

Round, round, the rhythm goes round, round, round, the rhythm of life goes round...

This is why I think (and I seem to be somewhat in the minority) that age suits Morrissey so well: the older he gets, the darker the joke becomes. What was a distant "someday" to the youth has become tomorrow to the man.

As for the ritual of the shirt-ripping - that becomes ever more like defiance: "I am a living sign: see what I've become, and what you soon shall be" (to his younger fans anyway). He's a crooning memento mori (a memento Morrissey, if you will).

The game is rigged, there is no escape, each man kills the thing he loves, and we are all worthless worm meat in the end.

In the meantime, kiss me a lot. :D

Are you Roy?

9288_1718443041536926_4632305535290860948_n.jpg

The Illu-mammary-nati

I didn't know we had to answer riddles to become true fans. It's news to me. Why didn't someone tell me? This whole time I have been masquerading as a Morrissey fan.

I'm sorry but your fan membership has been revoked. You didn't read the fine print. So sorry.

david t.....you know the song. I'd sing it for you but....it has no tune, and it has no meaning. It's in your head right now....and mine too.

Everybody's carrying that song around. We need distractions to keep the truth at bay....the awful truth.

The problem is you are taking your personal interpretation of the song and saying it is a fact that this is what he means and anything else anyone thinks is categorically wrong. We all take our own meaning for everything in life.

I think it's an interesting take and does make sense but that doesn't make it fact or knowledge.

Round, round, the rhythm goes round, round, round, the rhythm of life goes round...

This is why I think (and I seem to be somewhat in the minority) that age suits Morrissey so well: the older he gets, the darker the joke becomes. What was a distant "someday" to the youth has become tomorrow to the man.

As for the ritual of the shirt-ripping - that becomes ever more like defiance: "I am a living sign: see what I've become, and what you soon shall be" (to his younger fans anyway). He's a crooning memento mori (a memento Morrissey, if you will).

The game is rigged, there is no escape, each man kills the thing he loves, and we are all worthless worm meat in the end.

In the meantime, kiss me a lot. :D
Yes...yes....you are a fan.

The problem is you are taking your personal interpretation of the song and saying it is a fact that this is what he means and anything else anyone thinks is categorically wrong. We all take our own meaning for everything in life.

I think it's an interesting take and does make sense but that doesn't make it fact or knowledge.
Ok....bored. What's your interpretation?. What's that song that Morrissey can't stand?

Are you Roy?

It really doesn't matter what my first name is.

I was trying to get the so-called fans that were arguing about something that is now a legal process to step back and look again at Morrissey's new album and see what the underlying psychological and philosophical meanings were. I had a feeling that most of them hadn't really given the album a good listen....or really thought about it. I was right...

But I bet you knew the song....

Ok....bored. What's your interpretation?. What's that song that Morrissey can't stand?

I think you are putting everything into a little box and I don't listen to music that way.

I don't know if Morrissey has a specific song in mind that makes him think about death and he can't get it out of his head as he sees he has reached a point where it is more than likely that he is closer to his death than he is to his birth or if it's a metaphorical song as you suggest.

You said to davidt earlier that this song was going through your head and his too. That's a projection. Maybe when I'm 55 I will hear that song as well but only davidt can tell you if he hears it and only Morrissey can tell you if that was the song he meant.

Like I said before, it's a good take on it. I gave you credit for that and will again but you can't claim to KNOW.

This is one of the most frustrating things Morrissey fans do. They state things as facts about what Morrissey is thinking or state why he did something.

I don't know for sure why anyone I know says or does anything. To think you could KNOW the thoughts and intentions of anyone is laughable. If that someone is someone you've never met it's ridiculous.

I was trying to get the so-called fans that were arguing about something that is now a legal process to step back and look again at Morrissey's new album and see what the underlying psychological and philosophical meanings were. I had a feeling that most of them hadn't really given the album a good listen....or really thought about it. I was right...

You clever swine.

I only ask because I heard Roy's Keene?

Has anyone else noticed the song sounds just like Best Days by Blur off their Great Escape album. Just food for thought.

Has anyone else noticed the song sounds just like Best Days by Blur off their Great Escape album. Just food for thought.

True. It also really reminds me of Darlinghurst Nights by The Go Betweens, VERY similar melody. And for some reason it also really reminds me of Death Of A Disco Dancer, a song that frequently gets stuck in my head, ironically enough

I think you are putting everything into a little box and I don't listen to music that way.

I don't know if Morrissey has a specific song in mind that makes him think about death and he can't get it out of his head as he sees he has reached a point where it is more than likely that he is closer to his death than he is to his birth or if it's a metaphorical song as you suggest.

You said to davidt earlier that this song was going through your head and his too. That's a projection. Maybe when I'm 55 I will hear that song as well but only davidt can tell you if he hears it and only Morrissey can tell you if that was the song he meant.

Like I said before, it's a good take on it. I gave you credit for that and will again but you can't claim to KNOW.

This is one of the most frustrating things Morrissey fans do. They state things as facts about what Morrissey is thinking or state why he did something.

I don't know for sure why anyone I know says or does anything. To think you could KNOW the thoughts and intentions of anyone is laughable. If that someone is someone you've never met it's ridiculous.

Yeah....you will probably never see this but here goes:

There is some truth in what you say....it is difficult to "know why anyone says or does anything". But you have to try to understand or we'll just walk around bouncing off of each other and learn nothing.

Fear of life...and fear of death are the primary things that we respond to all of our lives....all of these fears we hide in our unconscious mind....but sometimes they come to the surface and cause big problems. Anxiety, violence, drug abuse etc...

Trying to understand the overwhelmingness of life....is the greatest challenge we face. Art helps....especially from artists that dig deep like Morrissey.

Anyway...I only posed this because on the other thread it was obvious that no one in that discussion actually listened to the song and had an idea of what Morrissey was getting at. They were just arguing about something that's in the hands of the authorities....and getting nowhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom