MORRISSEY as crooner. What songs, preferably 2004 Quarry to present are sung in true crooner style?

Re: MORRISSEY as crooner. What songs, preferably 2004 Quarry to present are sung in true crooner sty

Mexico (2004)

Re: MORRISSEY as crooner. What songs, preferably 2004 Quarry to present are sung in true crooner sty

Friday Mourning

to add one i think i have forgiven jesus could count

"The More You Ignore Me, the Closer I Get"
"Let Me Kiss You"
"Kiss Me a Lot"
"I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris"
"Interlude"
"Moonriver"

It depends how technical you want to get. There are hints of his crooner side in lots of other places. These are the more traditional crooner tracks though.

Secondarily:

"Drag the River"
"Julie In the Weeds"
"My Dearest Love"
"Friday Mourning"
"You Were Good In Your Time"
"Dear God, Please Help Me"
"I've Changed My Plea To Guilty"
"I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now"
"To Me You Are a Work of Art"
"My Life Is a Succession of People Saying Goodbye"
"Mexico"
"I Am Two People"
"Come Back To Camden"
"Trouble Loves Me"
"Ammunition"
"I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday"
"Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together"

*"Vauxhall and I" is tinged throughout with his crooneresque style. Really the first time he had widely incorporated the more mature crooner vocal style.

Last edited:

Derek17, great lists! "Kiss Me Alot" seems too fast a song to qualify. What about that song strikes you as crooner-ish?

'Julie in Weeds' sounds like a good croon.

Derek17, great lists! "Kiss Me Alot" seems too fast a song to qualify. What about that song strikes you as crooner-ish?

You're right I was debating that but I think it's a modern take on a classic sort of love song. Lyrically he kept it simple like something Elvis or Billy Fury might have sung.

^^^^^
Cheers.

"Come Back to Camden"...which is my personal favorite...and my daily alarm clock each morning...because everyone should wake up to the vocals on that track (and then start the day depressed and pining away for a past love).

^^^^^
:thumb:

Come Back to Camden wins hands down.

Everything with The Smiths - not a crooner

Everything Solo - a crooner

You know kind of like Sting? The Police - not a crooner.

"The Dream of the Blue Turtles" - a crooner.

Everything with The Smiths - not a crooner

Everything Solo - a crooner

That has some truth to it as a general rule (although with many exceptions).

yeah death of a disco dancer comes right to mind. was listening to lucky lisp the other day and he sings that song beautifully. holds the you for so long and its terribly smooth

Never Played Symphonies, one of the great lost (kind of ) Morrissey tracks.

I think every song, of the six songs on the deluxe CD, really highlight the crooner style. He seems to sing these so effortlessly. When I first heard those songs, especially tracks 2,3,4,5 I just thought "Moz as crooner."

Back
Top Bottom