Reviews in. Haters have hated. You have debated. 2 weeks on what do you think of "World Peace" now ?

Reviews in. Haters have hated. You have debated. 2 weeks on what do you think of "World Peace&q

• bonus: mixed reviews, low sales, hate expressed, has made me realize this album is a piece of shit!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: Reviews in. Haters have hated. You have debated. 2 weeks on what do you think of "World Peace" n

C'mon "piece of shit" vote. You can do it!

Re: Reviews in. Haters have hated. You have debated. 2 weeks on what do you think of "World Peace" n

C'mon "piece of shit" vote. You can do it!

I tried to vote twice, because it looks like you're supposed to vote on the substantive album and the bonus - but no dice.

Stick a piece of shit on the board for me if you can.

WPINOYB has been on high rotation ever since it came out, and it's blocked out most other music; as always when Morrissey's on the top of his game, his voice drowns out everyone else's. I think it's a great album: right up there with Vauxhall and Arsenal.

As I've mentioned before: I'm old enough to remember The Smiths. Morrissey knocked me out in 1984, but there have been long stretches in his career when I've found him to be absolutely insufferable: for instance, count me in as one of those people who cannot stand Southpaw Grammar: for me, that album represents the nadir of Morrissey's lyrical output (and vocal prowess). That album was mean-spirited, packed with mostly trivial, charmless songs and the artist was on autopilot (although "Boy Racer" is a good tune). That Morrissey was, for me, a write-off. WPINOYB is lightyears ahead sonically, lyrically and vocally: just listen to "Mountjoy," "I'm not a Man" or "Neal Cassady Drops Dead": these songs are thoughtful, interesting and beautifully articulated (and in the case of the latter, very funny). Even "Drag the River," a "B-side," has lovely lyrical passages. It's nearly two decades on, and Morrissey has found his way back to being an engaging artist with a voice to die for.

Sonically, WPINOYB is exactly where Morrissey needed to go: Gustavo Manzur's guitar style teases out the sensual aspects of his vocals. Morrissey has always risen to the musical bar, and this style of music suits him to a T. He was fighting vocally with the aggressive noise of the last two albums; here the musical setting highlights his range - his vocal swoops and falsettos are beautiful. Quite the feat for a singer in his mid-50s.

Lastly: the production is warm and inventive. I can see where some would find the electronic beeps and bloops irritating, but for me they lend an otherworldly feel to the album as a whole. Joe Chiccarelli managed to find the human element in electronic fiddling which (as I know first hand) is not an easy task. The whole band is at their best - as some reviewers have pointed out, this is one of the rare Morrissey albums where the music is as necessary as the vocals.

WPINOYB has been on high rotation ever since it came out, and it's blocked out most other music; as always when Morrissey's on the top of his game, his voice drowns out everyone else's. I think it's a great album: right up there with Vauxhall and Arsenal.

As I've mentioned before: I'm old enough to remember The Smiths. Morrissey knocked me out in 1984, but there have been long stretches in his career when I've found him to be absolutely insufferable: for instance, count me in as one of those people who cannot stand Southpaw Grammar: for me, that album represents the nadir of Morrissey's lyrical output (and vocal prowess). That album was mean-spirited, packed with mostly trivial, charmless songs and the artist was on autopilot (although "Boy Racer" is a good tune). That Morrissey was, for me, a write-off. WPINOYB is lightyears ahead sonically, lyrically and vocally: just listen to "Mountjoy," "I'm not a Man" or "Neal Cassady Drops Dead": these songs are thoughtful, interesting and beautifully articulated (and in the case of the latter, very funny). Even "Drag the River," a "B-side," has lovely lyrical passages. It's nearly two decades on, and Morrissey has found his way back to being an engaging artist with a voice to die for.

Sonically, WPINOYB is exactly where Morrissey needed to go: Gustavo Manzur's guitar style teases out the sensual aspects of his vocals. Morrissey has always risen to the musical bar, and this style of music suits him to a T. He was fighting vocally with the aggressive noise of the last two albums; here the musical setting highlights his range - his vocal swoops and falsettos are beautiful. Quite the feat for a singer in his mid-50s.

Lastly: the production is warm and inventive. I can see where some would find the electronic beeps and bloops irritating, but for me they lend an otherworldly feel to the album as a whole. Joe Chiccarelli managed to find the human element in electronic fiddling which (as I know first hand) is not an easy task. The whole band is at their best - as some reviewers have pointed out, this is one of the rare Morrissey albums where the music is as necessary as the vocals.
Oooh sonically, you like that word, you used it twice. You seem smart and wrote a long drawn out essay that no one gives a shit about. How does that make you feel

That's a wonderful review and so true.
Thanks!

Whilst listening to WPINOYB last night it did make me feel that I love it more than I did when I first had it. It put me in mind of 'Banana Blush' - the recordings of Sir John Betjeman from which Morrissey borrowed "A Child Ill" for intros at his gigs some years ago.

By comparison I also bought the James album a month or so ago and didn't get past track 3 it was so awful - and I bought it only because someone here was raving about it.

Whilst listening to WPINOYB last night it did make me feel that I love it more than I did when I first had it. It put me in mind of 'Banana Blush' - the recordings of Sir John Betjeman from which Morrissey borrowed "A Child Ill" for intros at his gigs some years ago.

By comparison I also bought the James album a month or so ago and didn't get past track 3 it was so awful - and I bought it only because someone here was raving about it.

I didn't think much of James album but then again I wasn't expecting to, they were great in their time. I was expecting a lot from morrissey but it's not clicking for me

Oooh sonically, you like that word, you used it twice. You seem smart and wrote a long drawn out essay that no one gives a shit about. How does that make you feel

How does it feel to be a c***? Satisfying?

Go away!

How does it feel to be a c***? Satisfying?

Go away!

Oh you've took a bit of banter to a new low using the C word. Lighten up, that was uncalled for

gotta agree with you about southpaw (ive barely ever played and it just doesnt last. i always skip to boy racer and now honey as thats a really really goood song), he did a much much better job with maladjusted and we it got re released it was even better and made it one of my fav moz album. well said

Thank you for taking the time to read the whole post (and so closely!). And thanks for the compliment. WPINOYB is a sonic masterpiece. There, I've said it again. :)

How does it make me feel? Very happy to virtually connect with other folks who share my obsession. I think you're wrong though: I think other posters here enjoy reading my posts as much as I enjoy reading theirs (with a few notable exceptions).

But Anaesthesine, did not the Southpaw sessions produce the glorious 'Nobody Loves Us'?

But Anaesthesine, did not the Southpaw sessions produce the glorious 'Nobody Loves Us'?

Yes indeed. One of the best songs he ever wrote, and by far the best thing to ever come out of those sessions. And where did that song end up? :rolleyes:

The album was just dire: I cannot fathom how anyone could think that Morrissey's creative career is on a downward trajectory. The man himself is clearly having great difficulties these days, but his work is just fantastic.

yeah im really staring to feel that something is squeezing his skull as its been very hard for him to resist the temptation of saying something in the past. if hes talking time off to feel better then i hope he takes all the time he wants as ive already got the album. the silence cant just be from a respiratory infection and in all genuine sincerity even if it means the end of him making music, i hope he just feels better and comes out happy and content.

If he does have a recurrence of depression, if may be because the recent workload has taken its toll, physically.
He wrote the autobiography and recorded his best album in years, not to mention the novel he's apparently writing. It may have caught up with him.
I hope he's well.

I hadn't listened to it for around 10 days and then put it on coming home after a weekend of nightshifts. It made perfect sense.

i love the echo sounds and effects in my joy that create that hollow feeling of being inside something (a prison im guessing in this song). makes you feel enclosed and empty at times.

How frustrating this album is!

No question it would be up there with his best if he'd spent a little longer on the lyrics... The music is consistently brilliant and in fact many of lyrics are decent. It's just the occasional lazy rhyme or lack of subtlety that dampens my overall opinion of the record.

WPISNOYB - Worst offender. The whole song is lyrically embarrassing
Neal Cassady - One of my favourites. The lyrics have received a good deal of criticism and I can see why. I find the 'rap' just about tolerable. But wouldn't have taken much to refine it.
I'm not a man - The 'cancer of the prosate', and 'never eat an animal' lines mar what should have been a highlight of the album.
Earth is the loneliest - It's really just the 'humane' line that really grates with me. Other than that it's inoffensive if not a bit bland.

I don't mind the lyrical simplicity of either 'Kiss me Alot' or' The Bullfighter Dies'. Both are meant to be catchy pop songs and work well on that level.

The rest of the album is more or less up to his normal standards. 'Istanbul', 'Staircase', 'Smiler' and 'Mountjoy' are four of the best songs he's put out in years... maybe even rivalling some of his Vauxhall output.

The bonus tracks walk the same fine line. At times inspired and then seconds later utterly cringeworthy. Art Hounds could have been one of his best tracks EVER in my opinion. Fantastic vocals, some classic Moz lines. The passion in his voice and general energy of the track is almost enough to make me forgot about the 'withered and small' lyric. Haven't listened to the others quite so much but have already detected moments of brilliance and horrible lines I wish I could tweak.

The production is sublime throughout, as it his voice. A breath of fresh air following the middle of the road rock that typified Years of Refusal. If only someone involved with the album had called him out on the lyrics and persuaded him to make a few edits. I imagine he would have been too stubborn to change anything at any rate.

It feels like I'm writing a really negative review and that doesn't do it justice. It is very, very good album and I've loved having it on repeat this week. But for me it is a real If only..... album. Should have been classic.

what about the world peace lyrics bug you specifically? could you give an example

Back
Top Bottom