The optimal 10-track WPINOYB album

A

Anonymous

What's your optimal 10-track World Peace is None of Your Business album? Which tracks? Which track order? I think there's a truly great album among the eighteen tracks that make up the deluxe edition. What do you think?

I think the album is perfect, but if I had to whittle it down to 10, I'd go (in this order):

Staircase at the University
Kiss Me a Lot
Drag the River
Istanbul
Smiler with Knife
I'm Not a Man
Scandinavia
Forgive Someone
Kick the Bride Down the Aisle
Mountjoy

It's impossible. I didn't want to take the others out and it feels so much weaker without them. Also, the running order is pretty much perfect on the proper release. Moving the songs around weakens the impact, I think.

Ditch Istanbul, The Bullfighter Dies and although it's got a catchy tune I'd scrap Staircase too, I don't want to sing along to someone splitting their head three ways. Than bang one of the two or three very good b-sides on there and you're away.

Ditch Istanbul, The Bullfighter Dies and although it's got a catchy tune I'd scrap Staircase too, I don't want to sing along to someone splitting their head three ways. Than bang one of the two or three very good b-sides on there and you're away.

Just sing lunch instead of head.

After a great deal of thought, I reckon:

1)Art-hounds
2)Art-hounds
3)Art-hounds
4)Art-hounds
5)Art-hounds
6)Art-hounds
7)Art-hounds
8)Art-hounds
9)Art-hounds
10)Art-hounds

I would say:

1. Art-Hounds
2. World Peace Is None of Your Business
3. Staircase at the University
4. Kiss Me a Lot
5. Forgive Someone
6. Istanbul
7. One of Our Own
8. Neal Cassady Drops Dead
9. The Bullfighter Dies
10. Mountjoy

I think maybe it would have been best to go with 10 tracks rather than 12. It just tightens the album up a bit and if you release 4 singles two b-sides each makes sense at least traditionally speaking. So 10 main tracks, 8 bonus tracks.

Last edited:
I would say:

1. Art-Hounds
2. World Peace Is None of Your Business
3. Staircase at the University
4. Kiss Me a Lot
5. Forgive Someone
6. Istanbul
7. One of Our Own
8. Neal Cassady Drops Dead
9. The Bullfighter Dies
10. Mountjoy

I think maybe it would have been best to go with 10 tracks rather than 12. It just tightens the album up a bit and if you release 4 singles two b-sides each makes sense at least traditionally speaking. So 10 main tracks, 8 bonus tracks.

Geezus for a second there I was about to pounce on you for ranking Mountjoy at the bottom but then common sense prevailed.

Side One

Kiss Me a Lot
One of Our Own
Staircase at the University
Smiler with Knife
Forgive Someone

Side Two

Istanbul
Drag the River
Neal Cassady Drops Dead
Julie in the Weeds
Mountjoy

Side One

Istanbul
One Of Our Own
Drag The River
Art-Hounds (sans the twenty second intro)
Neal Cassady Drops Dead (And Allen Ginsberg's Tears Shampoo His Beard)

Side Two

Kiss Me A Lot
Smiler With Knife
Kick The Bride Down The Aisle
Mountjoy
Oboe Concerto

*-I love the last five songs that Moz chose to close out his album, and the order in which he placed them. So I kept them the exact same way.

*-These are my ten favorite songs on the album, although I'm still trying to figure out how "Julie In The Weeds" didn't make the Top Ten. I love that song. I guess it's my 11th favorite on the album.

Here's my list from my tenth favorite to my number one favorite song on the album....

#10) Neal Cassady Drops Dead

#9) Kiss Me A Lot

#8) Istanbul (I forgot how good this song is. When the album broke I kept skipping this song, because I listened to it sooo much when it was first unveiled as a single. Today I started listening to it again. Outstanding song.)

#7) Drag The River ( A phenomenal song in every way.)

#6) Oboe Concerto ( Most folks seem to be lumping this song in with the stellar "Death of a Disco Dancer." As for me I'm reminded of "Certain People I Know," a much more dramatic "Certain People I Know." This song is phenomenal.

#5) One Of Our Own (Moz at his best, and Gustavo's music is a home-run.)

#4) Art-Hounds ( A masterpiece.)

#3) Mountjoy ( A masterpiece. For many years I've considered the lyrics in Billy Joel's "James" to be the best I've ever heard sung. Not anymore, the lyrics in "Mountjoy" are.)

#2) "Kick The Bride Down The Aisle" (A masterpiece in every way.)

#1) "Smiler With Knife" ( Possibly the most beautiful song I've ever heard in my life. Absolutely beautiful.)

1) Art Hounds
2) Istanbul
3) Staircase At The University
4) Kiss Me A Lot
5) I’m Not A Man
6) The Bullfighter Dies
7) Smiler With Knife
8) Kick The Bride Down The Aisle
9) Mountjoy
10) Oboe Concerto

I suppose Scandinavia is very close to replacing Kick The Bride Down The Aisle...

1. World Peace Is None of Your Business
2. Neal Cassady Drops Dead
3. Scandinavia
4. I'm Not A Man
5. Staircase At The University
6. Kiss Me A Lot
7. Drag The River
8. Art-hounds
9. Mountjoy
10. Oboe Concerto

Tracks 1-8 are the the most consistently good songs that Morrissey has released in a decade, though I'm Not A Man should appear later in the tracklisting and Earth earlier. Tracks 9-12 can be dropped, Smiler and Mountjoy have great lyrics but are let down by the dull music (kill me if you must). Of the Deluxe tracks, Drag the River and Art-hounds are the best. So....

Side One
1. World Peace Is None of Your Business
2. Earth Is the Loneliest Planet
3. Neal Cassady Drops Dead
4. Istanbul
5. Staircase At The University

Side Two
6. The Bullfighter Dies
7. Kiss Me Alot
8. Drag The River
9. I'm Not A Man
10. Art-hounds