For the boys: why is Morrissey so special to you?

• Thread starter To embarrassed about this request to include a nam
  • Start date
T

To embarrassed about this request to include a nam

I know this is probably going to be met with sarcastic and flippant posts, but I hope I can get at least SOME honest and insightful replies:

I'm fascinated and intrigued by the response that Morrissey gets from his male fans, both from seeing them at his concerts and reading about what he means to them on this discussion board. Personally, I don't know any big Morrissey/Smiths fans, let alone male ones, so I was wondering if you can give me some insight as to what it is about him (besides the music, if there is anything else) that appeals to you so much. It's obvious that our love for him goes beyond the music.

The reason I'm so curious is because I know that the mere mention of Morrissey to the unenlightened would just elicit responses like: "oh, he's that depressed guy?" or "he's femmy, isn't he?" and those are such stupid responses, really. So it would take quite a self-assured male to cut through all the BS and proudly admit to liking the guy.

So what is it, guys? Can you open up and tell me how you got into him/the Smiths and what he means to you? Gay, straight, bi, etc...anyone's response will be most appreciated.

Thank you!

I don't know that it takes all that much bravery to admit to liking Morrissey.

I like him mostly because his lyrics hit me harder and truer than anyone else's. His records are like ships sent out on the sea, telling us we are not alone, and helping to give us the courage to survive a hostile world.

Plus he has great style and is a funny motherf*cker.

Boy with a report in his mind

> I know this is probably going to be met with sarcastic and¿ flippant posts, but I hope I can get at least SOME honest and¿ insightful replies:¿ I'm fascinated and intrigued by the response that Morrissey gets¿ from his male fans, both from seeing them at his concerts and¿ reading about what he means to them on this discussion board.¿ Personally, I don't know any big Morrissey/Smiths fans, let¿ alone male ones, so I was wondering if you can give me some¿ insight as to what it is about him (besides the music, if there¿ is anything else) that appeals to you so much. It's obvious that¿ our love for him goes beyond the music.¿ The reason I'm so curious is because I know that the mere¿ mention of Morrissey to the unenlightened would just elicit¿ responses like: "oh, he's that depressed guy?" or¿ "he's femmy, isn't he?" and those are such stupid¿ responses, really. So it would take quite a self-assured male to¿ cut through all the BS and proudly admit to liking the guy.¿ So what is it, guys? Can you open up and tell me how you got¿ into him/the Smiths and what he means to you? Gay, straight, bi,¿ etc...anyone's response will be most appreciated.

Man write your own damn school report.. this sounds like some report for a socialogy class.. give me the 5.00$ for participating and I will spill all otherwise shove off and i a m emailing your teacher right now saying that you arent even trying and so now you are going to flunk out and get a job making ballon animals on a a street corner except noone one will come to see you because much like mimes people don't like ballon animals anymore. um ok

Cheers~!
MLL

It's because some time ago, I met someone and I felt like "You're the One For Me Fatty" spoke directly to me. Several months later, I felt like "I Don't Mind If You Forget Me" spoke directly to me. So thusly, I suppose a dialogue was established.

i like him because he is a good guy. a great heart, a great friend, a great soul.

everybody can say he is bad, heartless...

but i know it's not true.

next point.¿ I know this is probably going to be met with sarcastic and¿ flippant posts, but I hope I can get at least SOME honest and¿ insightful replies:¿ I'm fascinated and intrigued by the response that Morrissey gets¿ from his male fans, both from seeing them at his concerts and¿ reading about what he means to them on this discussion board.¿ Personally, I don't know any big Morrissey/Smiths fans, let¿ alone male ones, so I was wondering if you can give me some¿ insight as to what it is about him (besides the music, if there¿ is anything else) that appeals to you so much. It's obvious that¿ our love for him goes beyond the music.¿ The reason I'm so curious is because I know that the mere¿ mention of Morrissey to the unenlightened would just elicit¿ responses like: "oh, he's that depressed guy?" or¿ "he's femmy, isn't he?" and those are such stupid¿ responses, really. So it would take quite a self-assured male to¿ cut through all the BS and proudly admit to liking the guy.¿ So what is it, guys? Can you open up and tell me how you got¿ into him/the Smiths and what he means to you? Gay, straight, bi,¿ etc...anyone's response will be most appreciated.¿ Thank you!

> I know this is probably going to be met with sarcastic and¿ flippant posts, but I hope I can get at least SOME honest and¿ insightful replies:¿ I'm fascinated and intrigued by the response that Morrissey gets¿ from his male fans, both from seeing them at his concerts and¿ reading about what he means to them on this discussion board.¿ Personally, I don't know any big Morrissey/Smiths fans, let¿ alone male ones, so I was wondering if you can give me some¿ insight as to what it is about him (besides the music, if there¿ is anything else) that appeals to you so much. It's obvious that¿ our love for him goes beyond the music.¿ The reason I'm so curious is because I know that the mere¿ mention of Morrissey to the unenlightened would just elicit¿ responses like: "oh, he's that depressed guy?" or¿ "he's femmy, isn't he?" and those are such stupid¿ responses, really. So it would take quite a self-assured male to¿ cut through all the BS and proudly admit to liking the guy.¿ So what is it, guys? Can you open up and tell me how you got¿ into him/the Smiths and what he means to you? Gay, straight, bi,¿ etc...anyone's response will be most appreciated.¿ Thank you!

LIKE MOZ, I CAME FROM A BROKEN HOME AND A VERY DYSFUNCTIONAL FAMILY. ALCOHOLISM, ADULTERY, AND EVERYTHING ELSE IN A HOSED UP FAMILY THAT WOULD MAKE ANY FORMER "SWEET BOY" MISERABLE. MOZ AND THE SMITHS HELPED ME REALISE THAT I WAS NOT THE ONLY ONE OUT THERE. UNFORTUNATELY, I THINK MANY PEOPLE INTERPRET MOZ AS BEING UNHAPPY OR GAY OR WHATEVER AS "FASHIONABLE"; THAT'S HE WRITING MUSIC FOR THAT PURPOSE. TEH BOTTOM LINE IS IN THE 80'S THE SMITHS FINALLY CAME ABOUT AS A BAND THAT THE COMMON DYSFUNCTIONAL, ABUSED, DEPRESSED TEEN COULD RELATE TO, A VERY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, AND ALL QUITE COMMONPLACE. IT WAS NOT YOUR TYPICAL ROCK AND ROLL. I AM A STRAIGHT MAN, ALMOST 40 WITH A GROWN DAUGHTER, AND A RELATIVELY HAPPY LIFE. I THANK MOZ FOR MAKING ME REALISE I WAS NOT ALONE

Why Morrissey is so special to me

When i first saw Morrissey, longer ago than i care to remember, i was a shy, confused 15 yr old boy with a copy of Hatful of Hollow and a fledgling weight problem. But when i first set eyes on Morrissey i was absolutely entranced, and life was never quite the same again.
Its difficult to say this without delving into the realms of cliche, but Morrissey has always been for me when i've needed him. To give a trivial example, last night i was bored, feelling sorry for myself as a much looked forward to weekend crumbled into a shambles. I put on a bootleg video of Morrissey in New York and half an hour later i was grinning from ear to ear, singing along, trying to stop myself from twirling round the room and tripping over the dog.
Through Morrissey i have met some of the most wonderful people i could ever have wished to meet, and made some dear, dear friends - you know who you are. I have followed him around Britain, Ireland and America, shivered on cold pavements in Motherwell and sweated on hot sidewalks in San Francisco. I've seen concerts which still bruing tears to my eye when i think of them, and places which i would never have seen otherwise.
He can make me laugh, make me cry and make my heart soar so much it feels like im floating 3 feet over the ground.
And now at 29, i still have that copy of Hatful of Hollow, and i still have that weight problem. But i still have Morrissey, and thats what matters.

Don't forget the songs that made you cry, and the songs that saved your life

I can understand why you are intrigued with our fascination with Morrissey. Sometimes I stand back and take an objective look at my worship of the man and think that it is absurd. All of my friends think that I am a weirdo for liking him so much and spending all my extra time and money on Morrissey and the Smiths. But then I realize that he has been there for me. I have been a fan of him for about 7 years, but in the last year or year in a half, my love of him and his music has expanded greatly. This is because I have been struggling with severe depression and endured two stints in a mental hospital and two suicide attempts in the past year. I feel like he is the only one who has been by my side the whole time. When I feel angry or alone, I listen to his music, and sometimes sing along, and I don't feel quite so alone. I listen to the song "Asleep" and I feel like he knows how I feel about life and wanting to end my life. He is so special to me that I can't explain it, but I'm greatful for him and his words. Also, in the past year or so, I have become friends with some of the people on this page and that makes me feel like I'm not so alone. He has helped me immensely and I feel like I love him. By the way, I'm a very straight male. "When you laugh about people, who feel so very lonely their only desire is to die, well I'm afraid, it doesn't make me smile."

> The reason I'm so curious is because I know that the mere¿ mention of Morrissey to the unenlightened would just elicit¿ responses like: "oh, he's that depressed guy?" or¿ "he's femmy, isn't he?" and those are such stupid¿ responses, really. So it would take quite a self-assured male to¿ cut through all the BS and proudly admit to liking the guy.¿ So what is it, guys? Can you open up and tell me how you got¿ into him/the Smiths and what he means to you? Gay, straight, bi,¿ etc...anyone's response will be most appreciated.¿ Thank you!

i've been waiting for something like this to be asked.... i made two post earlier but they both got deleted.. now how upssetting can that be?.. anyway.. i've always love morrissey for his music and his image..everything about him is nothing but poetry.. he is a walking poetry book.. like a drug.. his music seeps through my blood veins.. and gives me dream-like images and emotions..his music is inspiring..uplifting.. and poetic.. .. his image is natural and simplistic and he is very handsome.. this is one of the reason why he is loved by so many people.. becuause he is absoutely beautiful...
now it doesn't take a bisexual or a gay person to see this.. it just depends on the level of being open minded.. most guys i know would get disgusted at the sight or though of morrisey.. and becuase of morrissey's feminine-like behaviour.. they can't associated themselves being like that...they're completely blinded by their male macho-ess.. and would have to walk with a heaved chest to feel comfortable about themselves...it really difficult for them to admit that another guy is handsome or beautiful becuase they refuse to ackowledge it.. they would subconsciouly block it out or not even think about it or talk about it .. they have to constantly remind themselves or prorammed to remind themselves that they are manly and tough.. and admitting to another guy being hansome is "gay".... this is a prime expample of being shallow and close minded.. this is why i always hear the word "fag" after the word morrissey, followed by a string of hateful comments.. i dont understand why a person like morrissey who is so kind and loving can be hated so much just for that..

Back in the day, my cousins listened to the Smiths, I wanting to fit in with them, would listen with them, not really realizing the value of their songs. Years passed, and at the age of 16, I found a cassette of Best of the Smiths I. Well I listened and soon found out that I could really relate to the songs, as they played on the stereo. I started learning more about Morrissey, through his interviews, music, and friends. What I found out really made me feel more than a "fan" love, I felt that this man was truly my best friend. With his music which dealt with a wide variety of topics he would be with me forever. Morrissey, during interviews, seems more intelligent than anyone else in the music industry I have seen. The words he uses to answer questions express his sincerity. And to all of this Morrissey teaches us males, that it is okay to be sad, cry, and deal with issues which society has restricted us from. When Moz talks about his sexuality and is not afraid to say that he is not straight, gay, and bisexual, I think he is facing society and telling it I will not classify myself because no matter what, I am human over all, and I want to feel love from another human, not another "labeled person." His attitude towards these types of issues is what attracts me to him. I also like that even though he is a public figure, we truly can say that we don't know him overall. He is so mysterious, what ever he does, he remains at a distance. I think this helps us fans, understand Morrissey and his power to remain yet just another human. Morrissey is a man, and yes I am a man, and if I feel love towards him, it would be more of a love which I can say I would feel towards God (which I haven't found), Morrissey has lead me through life with his words, his music, and his mere existence.

Such beautiful sentiments!!

Thank you all for the wonderful responses I've gotten so far. I feel the same way about the man: his individuality, his openness with his feelings, his "realness" in an age where to be opinionated and set in your ways just isn't fashionable.

To those of you who mentioned a true love for the man, without feeling the need to "apologise" in any way, or explain that it's "not in THAT way..." was really what I was looking for. I mean, I understand that people can relate to his lyrics in terms of loneliness and wanting, but it isn't just the songs that draw you to him - it's more what he represents as a "male individual" that is seldom addressed in today's society.

Thanks for openning up to me, and keep them coming, please!

PS: and for that sarcistic reply from MLL, I'm NOT a boy, and I'm NOT a student, writing a report. I'm just a curious girl who wishes she knew people like the above individuals.

All other singers have nothing to say.

> I'm fascinated and intrigued by the response that Morrissey gets¿ from his male fans, both from seeing them at his concerts and¿ reading about what he means to them on this discussion board.¿ Personally, I don't know any big Morrissey/Smiths fans, let¿ alone male ones, so I was wondering if you can give me some¿ insight as to what it is about him (besides the music, if there¿ is anything else) that appeals to you so much. It's obvious that¿ our love for him goes beyond the music.

Well, the man is amazing. He only needs one name to be recognized. He is probably the only artist alive that has a grasp of common sense. I can't relate to the morbid and disposable 'rock heroes' on Empty-Vee. His image was very astounding to me, the first time I ever heard of him on T.V. He was in some mall, and fans were gathered around him, crying. I wondered how one man can have that kind of effect on people. Better yet, how can one man have that kind of patience and generosity to embrace his fans. There are plenty of celebs who just walk right by a crowd of fans. Onstage, Moz seems almost welcoming to fans that jump on stage just to hug him in mid-song. Not very many artists love their fans that much.

It encouraged me to listen to The Smiths, wondering what the obsession is about. And, here I am. I found he had much more to do with me than I imagined. There is no other artist as honest as Morrissey. Every emotion he's captured in song, he found every word for. The right melodies are captured along with it. And, these are not halfass, half-baked garage band melodies, but the most experimental, virtuosital pop music of this generation. He backs up the music with absolute poetry. For years, artists will try to write songs about certain love situations, or emotions, but they will just fall short to what Moz has already done.¿ The reason I'm so curious is because I know that the mere¿ mention of Morrissey to the unenlightened would just elicit¿ responses like: "oh, he's that depressed guy?" or¿ "he's femmy, isn't he?" and those are such stupid¿ responses, really. So it would take quite a self-assured male to¿ cut through all the BS and proudly admit to liking the guy.

Well, the tough, "I'm a real man coz I can kick your ass" image never appealed to me. I'm not a very big guy, and at 20 I realized that I could never be Big Poppa Pump. I'm not the kinda guy that wears jeans the size of my neighborhood, Vans shoes, or a T-shirt of my favorite team. I don't like guy stuff like football, as a matter of fact the closest it is my obsession with wrestling [which is not even a real sport]. Moz is the only artist I can concieveably relate to.
I believe that the strength of a person lies behind their thoughts. And, Morrissey is extremely intelligent. More than an original artist, he is an original person altogether. I believe strength also lies behind what one chooses NOT to do. He's Veg, which is certainly a motion I couldn't do myself, but it says alot of character, for he has much discipline to do so. We both have one common lifestyle in celibacy, whereas I have so much respect for Moz in that sense. I've suffered plenty in this lifetime, and there has been no other kind of artist to reflect these thoughts. I can't relate to the Kurts or Corgans or Marilyn Mansons that come around. They have nothing to say.

Obviously, my story is cliche and reflects that of every other male Mozfan, but it's the truth. Without Morrissey, I certianly wouldn't be who I am today.

First of all, I never thought I had to be brave to admit that I loved Morrissey or his music. His music is honest and he has a huge amount of artistic integrity. I would think you would have to be brave (or stupid) to admit that you have no taste and no intelligence by saying that you don't like Morrissey.

I grew up listening to The Cars, Missing Persons, Tears for Fears, etc., but I was always looking for something more in my music. As a teenager, I wrote songs with titles like "Am I in Love with a Recluse", but I didn't know of anyone who sang the kind of music I was looking for.

I had never even heard The Smiths until I was 20. It was late at night in Medellin, Colombia, South America. I was an LDS missionary at the time and I was having a hard time sleeping one night so I turned on a little pocket radio next to my bed. The announcer kept on talking about a band called "the esmits". That's how Spanish speaking people say the name Smith if they have a strong accent, so I wondered if a band would really call themselves The Smiths. Then I heard "There Is a Light that Never Goes Out." It made me want to laugh and cry at the same time. I never forgot about that song.

There wasn't any time on my mission to buy or listen to music (if you've been there you would understand) so it wasn't until I was in a music store back in the states about a year later that I came accross Morrissey again. "Suedehead" was playing and I told my brother, who was with me at the time, that I really liked it. I asked a Salesperson to tell me who was singing. Soon I bought the Viva Hate album.

As things turned out I would be going through a few heartbreaks, the biggest of which was the divorce of my parents, and some huge loneliness while I was in college. During that time, instead of having to face everything on my own I found Thomas Hardy novels and records by The Smiths. I worked as a window washer to help me get through school and I remember listening to my walkman as I hung over the side of 9 story buildings and having tears fill my eyes.

I got my degree in English, married, have three kids, own a computer business, and live in a small farming town where everyone listens to country music. I still write quirky songs, and Morrissey is still my favorite songwriter and singer. Not only do I find that his songs are timeless, but I find that every album has songs that are timely in my life. Last year as I was getting ripped off by a lawyer, I could drive around listening to Morrissey sing "Lawyer, Lier". I have at least a hundred other examples of the timeliness of his songs.

I'm going to have the same problem others have had with this question and end my post using cliches and sounding trite. Morrissey's music has given me compassion when I've needed it and has helped me feel compassion for others when others have needed it. I can't think of popular music doing anything more beautiful than that.

Paul

MY VIEWS ON MORRISSEYS APPEAL...........

Anyone, feel free to respond at my addy...

He's one of those rare artists or "icons" that appeals to both men and women, just like James Dean. For a couple of reasons; his imperfection (..sarcasm, depression, arrogance, antisocial nature, rebelliousness...) are traits the "common person" can identify with, which is why I was initially drawn to him: it was a reflection of myself! He also has a feminity that "most" men try to suppress, but I think exists in ALL men--he allows you to get in touch with your more "emotional, sensitive, honest" side. Most men try to act "macho, paternal, strong" way--Moz makes you realize that this is just a facade. As for his features, the "eyebrows" of course, the deep hollow browline: when you combine the "brow and eyebrows": it looks like one "mysterious hole". Don't forget his "quiff"--as with all icons, you try and emulate your heroes: but since you can't copy his chiselled jawline, eyebrows, roman-nose, or deep eyes...the next easiest thing is "styling your hair" like his. Which is why most Moz fanantics have his early Smiths hairstyle--like me!!!

Re: MY VIEWS ON MORRISSEYS APPEAL...........

> Anyone, feel free to respond at my addy...¿ He's one of those rare artists or "icons" that appeals¿ to both men and women, just like James Dean. For a couple of¿ reasons; his imperfection (..sarcasm, depression, arrogance,¿ antisocial nature, rebelliousness...) are traits the¿ "common person" can identify with, which is why I was¿ initially drawn to him: it was a reflection of myself! He also¿ has a feminity that "most" men try to suppress, but I¿ think exists in ALL men--he allows you to get in touch with your¿ more "emotional, sensitive, honest" side. Most men try¿ to act "macho, paternal, strong" way--Moz makes you¿ realize that this is just a facade. As for his features, the¿ "eyebrows" of course, the deep hollow browline: when¿ you combine the "brow and eyebrows": it looks like one¿ "mysterious hole". Don't forget his¿ "quiff"--as with all icons, you try and emulate your¿ heroes: but since you can't copy his chiselled jawline,¿ eyebrows, roman-nose, or deep eyes...the next easiest thing is¿ "styling your hair" like his. Which is why most Moz¿ fanantics have his early Smiths hairstyle--like me!!!
I've been a morrisey fan for some years now,and his appeal to me rests mostly with his truthful lyrics and music.Some receding hairlines later his presence still awakens my very being.What I find so amusing is why he doesnt release books of tour reflections or even his own current ideas on music or animal rights.Just to name a few.
Mr.Roy Marques Mississauga,Canada

Re: Don't forget the songs that made you cry, and the songs that saved your life

> I can understand why you are intrigued with our fascination with¿ Morrissey. Sometimes I stand back and take an objective look at¿ my worship of the man and think that it is absurd. All of my¿ friends think that I am a weirdo for liking him so much and¿ spending all my extra time and money on Morrissey and the¿ Smiths. But then I realize that he has been there for me. I have¿ been a fan of him for about 7 years, but in the last year or¿ year in a half, my love of him and his music has expanded¿ greatly. This is because I have been struggling with severe¿ depression and endured two stints in a mental hospital and two¿ suicide attempts in the past year. I feel like he is the only¿ one who has been by my side the whole time. When I feel angry or¿ alone, I listen to his music, and sometimes sing along, and I¿ don't feel quite so alone. I listen to the song¿ "Asleep" and I feel like he knows how I feel about¿ life and wanting to end my life. He is so special to me that I¿ can't explain it, but I'm greatful for him and his words. Also,¿ in the past year or so, I have become friends with some of the¿ people on this page and that makes me feel like I'm not so¿ alone. He has helped me immensely and I feel like I love him. By¿ the way, I'm a very straight male. "When you laugh about¿ people, who feel so very lonely their only desire is to die,¿ well I'm afraid, it doesn't make me smile."
Lets be truthful here,if Morrissey was a fake artist would he have such a loyal following as now? If this artist was not truly derserving of our collective affection,we might as well say were fans of dance music. But seriously,his lyrics just make us fans greatly appreciated in sharing his collective genius.

Back
Top Bottom