25 Solo Projects That Didn't Completely Embarrass These Artists' Bands - NME

Belligerent Ghoul

Hall of Famer
http://www.nme.com/photos/25-solo-p...etely-embarrass-these-artists-bands/345316/1/

As Morrissey wows his public once again with 10th album 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business', it's time to reflect on artists who haven't completely shamed their bands with their solo careers and side-projects. For every Morrissey, there's a Gary Barlow, taking time between his group's albums to really homogenise his music, so it's a risky path. Here are some who negotiated it successfully.

some of those are really questionable imo. julians and kyles especially. lou barlow from dinosaur jr. did sebadoh which was of course very ground breaking and very different from dino.

I'd add The Glove to this list! Some of the coolest stuff Robert Smith and Steve Severin have ever done. The Creatures, too…

Chino's side projects:

Team Sleep
3206205421_5c2b51839d.jpg

Palms
PalmsCove.jpg

Most of these performers weren't really that great to begin with for their solo stuff to be an embarrassment anyway. They are hardly in the league Moz n' Marr.

chino has another one out now but cant remember what its called. had a couple of good songs on it but i wasnt a fan of it really. surprised brian ferry wasnt on there.

chino has another one out now but cant remember what its called. had a couple of good songs on it but i wasnt a fan of it really. surprised brian ferry wasnt on there.

There are quite a few that should be up there and most that shouldn't.

ah it was ttt crosses that was chinos new one. agree about the list but doesnt the nme make a lot of weird lists.

To be on this so called list you have to have something to lose to embarrass your previous efforts and most of these people do not rate at all. Siouxsie should be up there. Her Creatures project with her husband was insanely good and so was her solo album!

I don't know Bob Mould mate. Who is he? I thought I'd leave it to you rather than wiki :)

To be on this so called list you have to have something to lose to embarrass your previous efforts and most of these people do not rate at all. Siouxsie should be up there. Her Creatures project with her husband was insanely good and so was her solo album!

I don't know Bob Mould mate. Who is he? I thought I'd leave it to you rather than wiki :)

Oh my...where do I begin? :)

Bob was the guitarist singer for Husker Du in the 80’s. An incredible power punk/pop trio that paved the road for so many great bands. Then he put out two solo LP’s, then formed another band SUGAR who are also great. Sugar broke up in ’95 and then he went solo again. He dabbled in electronic stuff for a bit in the early 00’s but now he’s back to crunchy, delicious punk/pop type stuff. I could go on and on....

Oh my...where do I begin? :)

Bob was the guitarist singer for Husker Du in the 80’s. An incredible power punk/pop trio that paved the road for so many great bands. Then he put out two solo LP’s, then formed another band SUGAR who are also great. Sugar broke up in ’95 and then he went solo again. He dabbled in electronic stuff for a bit in the early 00’s but now he’s back to crunchy, delicious punk/pop type stuff. I could go on and on....

Okay I have heard of Husker Du. I will investigate. Thanks :)

That's what I'm talking about!

to be somewhat controversial among my peers on the scene ill say i didnt much like husker du except for maybe 2/3's of zen arcade. they were the first hardcore band to sign to a major so they did pave they way in that sense. sugar were really good though and i really think grant hearts solo stuff is amazing (i think he just put out a really good record though i may be thinking of mould). if youre gonna check out bob mould then check out grant heart as well. i was always more a fan of the minuet men who i see as kinda comparable though.

That's what I'm talking about!

Amen.

I will hopefully add Chrissie Hynde to this blah, blah list when i finally hear her solo album. Although to be truthful most of the Pretenders albums since the 90s have basically been solo albums as she has written just about everything herself anyway.

to be somewhat controversial among my peers on the scene ill say i didnt much like husker du except for maybe 2/3's of zen arcade. they were the first hardcore band to sign to a major so they did pave they way in that sense. sugar were really good though and i really think grant hearts solo stuff is amazing (i think he just put out a really good record though i may be thinking of mould). if youre gonna check out bob mould then check out grant heart as well. i was always more a fan of the minuet men who i see as kinda comparable though.

I definitely love Grant Hart’s contributions to Husker Du. In fact, I think on “Candy Apple Grey” for instance, his songs are better than Bob’s. But solo wise, I’m Bob all the way.

Also this:

734490_4964247777685_438692265_n.jpg

I will hopefully add Chrissie Hynde to this blah, blah list when i finally hear her solo album. Although to be truthful most of the Pretenders albums since the 90s have basically been solo albums as she has written just about everything herself anyway.

Oh, it's quite good!! I haven't been listening to it much because I fell into a Moz vortex soon after CH's album was released, but I need to give it more time. Definitely worth checking out.

Back
Top Bottom