Is MOZ obsessed / fixated with death ?

Is MOZ obsessed with death ?

• Total voters
I wouldn't say he's obsessed with death or dying, but he certainly isn't afraid to confront it. I do think that (both lyrically and in interviews) he has become less "welcoming" (for lack of a better word) of death than he was when he was younger.

I think he's obsessed with the big wheel generator. :D

Every song on the album, including 2 CD, so 18 songs, mention death whether it's him slitting his throat because someone forgave someone (seems like an extreme reaction), or "we all lose" (AlmondJoy) by which he means lose life, (stunning insight), yeah I would say so. The man is obsessed. He has become a one-trick Tony The Pony. The level of denial here is incredible. I think PeaChick lost her day job.

I think it's so blatantly obvious that he is. If you are looking for truth, you should have made the poll private. No one is gonna touch this with a 10 foot poll. This subject is taboo.

I think this is more a question of semantics than anything. First we'd have to define "obsessed," hah. :rolleyes:

I think it's so blatantly obvious that he is. If you are looking for truth, you should have made the poll private. No one is gonna touch this with a 10 foot poll. This subject is taboo.

Taboo to who? You maybe. Not to most others. Another case of someone on Solo missing a spine.

He is not obsessed with death. Nor is he a nihilist. He's just a man capable of realizing death is a part of every life. He is an existentialist. He thinks about life and death.

So an event that happens to every single living thing on this planet and beyond is taboo?

Maybe you're thinking of shampoo?

Last edited:
I think obsessed is the wrong word. In my opinion, he most definitely has a healthy interest in death. In the past he has mentioned that he's thought often of ending his own life, but that was very early on in his career. As he ages, I believe he has grown to respect life on a general level, and has found ways to enjoy it. Depression, which he does suffer from, can be quite debilitating. I think that's why he understands and supports those who choose death over life. A good example is when he said Kurt Cobain's suicide was honorable or when he wrote about Margaret Dale and said, "We all weary of living in the same skin day after day, in a world where only the blandly trivial are allowed to be heard, but there is nothing wrong with taking your destiny into your own hands, just as there is nothing wrong in understanding what is meant for you and what isn't."

I don't think this subject is taboo, either. Soft drinks are a taboo. Death is certain and...just a fact of life.

I think obsessed is the wrong word. In my opinion, he most definitely has a healthy interest in death. In the past he has mentioned that he's thought often of ending his own life, but that was very early on in his career. As he ages, I believe he has grown to respect life on a general level, and has found ways to enjoy it. Depression, which he does suffer from, can be quite debilitating. I think that's why he understands and supports those who choose death over life. A good example is when he said Kurt Cobain's suicide was honorable or when he wrote about Margaret Dale and said, "We all weary of living in the same skin day after day, in a world where only the blandly trivial are allowed to be heard, but there is nothing wrong with taking your destiny into your own hands, just as there is nothing wrong in understanding what is meant for you and what isn't."

I don't think this subject is taboo, either. Soft drinks are a taboo. Death is certain and...just a fact of life.

Saving lives is honorable; destroying them isn't. Ask Cobain's daughter if she thinks her daddy's death was honorable. Surviving despite depression and/or suffering makes one valiant. Giving up makes one a coward. His opinions regarding suicide are mucked up. That he felt the need to put them to print shows how tasteless and irresponsible and self-centered the man can be. (Can't we all be at times? Yes. But he is a public figure which carries more social weight: role modeling, influence. )

Saving lives is honorable; destroying them isn't. Ask Cobain's daughter if she thinks her daddy's death was honorable. Surviving despite depression and/or suffering makes one valiant. Giving up makes one a coward. His opinions regarding suicide are mucked up. That he felt the need to put them to print shows how tasteless and irresponsible and self-centered the man can be. (Can't we all be at times? Yes. But he is a public figure which carries more social weight: role modeling, influence. )

Just because your art or music is in the public domain that doesn't mean you now have to be a role model. How people behave and treat each other is their own responsibility. It's not up to celebrities and artists to show us the way. They have enough trouble keeping their own lives on track. Do you really want guidance from them?

No one knows what was going on inside Cobain's head. Yes it is always impressive when someone gets the black dog off their shoulder but the last thing people need is to be labeled a coward if they fail to rise above it and fall by the wayside. Committing suicide doesn't make one a coward. Sometimes it's beyond their control. Look up some stats re male depression and it's suicide rate. Are they all cowards too? Frankly I am kinda surprised at your angle on this.

btw I don't agree with Morrissey's honourable comment. I remember when he said it and I just sighed.

Last edited:
No one knows what was going on inside Cobain's head. Committing suicide doesn't make one a coward.

It certainly doesn't make one a hero. I know what was going on. Chemicals. Heroin addiction. Mucked up dopamine and serotonin levels. Rehab and therapy and medication take effort. Pulling a trigger is easy... cowardly. There is nothing glamorous about suicide. Just ask the survivors. My guess is you have never lost a close loved one to suicide. It is always those who have not that defend suicide as some legitimate escape route. Suicide is a form of murder. It is murdering the self. And it creates victims just like other forms of murder. Most likely that is why it is taboo in most societies. It violates the social contract. And we are social animals despite what depressives like Morrissey wish to proclaim.

It certainly doesn't make one a hero. I know what was going on. Chemicals. Heroin addiction. Mucked up dopamine and serotonin levels. Rehab and therapy and medication take effort. Pulling a trigger is easy... cowardly. There is nothing glamorous about suicide. Just ask the survivors. My guess is you have never lost a close loved one to suicide. It is always those who have not that defend suicide as some legitimate escape route. Suicide is a form of murder. It is murdering the self. And it creates victims just like other forms of murder. Most likely that is why it is taboo in most societies. It violates the social contract. And we are social animals despite what depressives like Morrissey wish to proclaim.

You're talking out your arse and it's too tiresome to explain why but you are.

You're talking out your arse and it's too tiresome to explain why but you are.

It is too tiresome to explain? Why don't you step up to the plate and give it a shot. Or do you prefer to take the easy way, the cowardly way: ad hominem attack with no intelligent refutation of my argument. My guess is you react emotionally and not logically to the stimuli surrounding you. Thus you CANNOT construct a rational retort. Prove me wrong wise guy (gal).

Back
Top Bottom