Will Johnny outsell Morrissey with "Playland?"

eugenius

Gabba Gabba Hey
With a scheduled release date of Oct. 6, does Marr sell more in week 1 then Moz?

UK and US?

If so, it would be safe to say Marr's online presence and touring could be a major factor.

Edit in the title: Playland, not Playground.

Last edited:
Re: Will Johnny outsell Morrissey with "Playground?"

I've just popped into the future to check. Very interesting.

If his last album is any indication, no.

He may or may not, but he will doubtlessly complete more live dates.

I've just popped into the future to check. Very interesting.

While you're out in the future, love, can you check and see when my ultimate package of "World Peace" ships?

:lbf: That would suck for Moz.

Personally, I don't think it's gonna happen. Perhaps if it was a "comeback" album after several years like Morrissey's was, but Johnny just put out "The Messenger" last year. And I think people were slagging off the vocals and lyrics on that more than any one thing has been slagged-off the most about "World Peace."

Well johnny can actually get through a tour without drama.

With a scheduled release date of Oct. 6, does Marr sell more in week 1 then Moz?
UK and US? If so, it would be safe to say Marr's online presence and touring could be a major factor.

Not a chance in a million years. With all the hype that surrounded Marr's first solo album, and all the goodwill that was directed towards him as an indie legend, he only just made the top 10 last year. He'll be lucky to reach the top 20 with the new one unless the album is a massive improvement on Messengers - hugely unlikely considering the gestation period.

i dont know. the messenger was something of a lets wait and see what happens kinda affair for a lot of people. for me as well. with his first solo album people had a lot of expectations, will he finally do something of note and character, and it kinda came off pretty bland and worst of all just boring imo. i think people have been waiting to see if johnny would live up to the expectations people have had on him since he left the smiths and he never really fulfilled those expectations while i feel morrissey did right away. i mean what has johnny done thats of note or moving or worthwhile since he left the smiths to become a full fledged member of the pretenders or television or modest mouse or the the? the healers is better left forgotten in my book and only electronic worked and that was sorta down to sumner. he would have to seriously up the character factor for it to do well, even as well as the messenger. after buying the messenger and seeing it played twice live i can say that i have very little interest in what hes doing at the moment. i guess i just dont think hell deliver what i want to hear or surprise me in any way. i guess i finally have given up and just dont care. hopefully thatll chacnge in the future because he shows so much potential. he needs a vocalist/lyacist so badly. id rather see him go the bernard route and make fantastic albums with fantastic singers instead of him joining already established bands as anonymous players. he needs a mcalmont

"Will it" ?? Will it?? f***ing will it! Don't know mate.

I can't tell u weather it will or not, my psychic skills haven't be honed as much as these other guys but I could tell you what I think, but only if, you're really interested..

I thought it was "Playland"? I doubt it will outsell World Peace - but then I doubt that Johnny cares much about chart positions in general, so it doesn't really matter.

I thought it was "Playland"? I doubt it will outsell World Peace - but then I doubt that Johnny cares much about chart positions in general, so it doesn't really matter.

It is called playland

No chance. But then neither Johnny nor his record company will be expecting it to.

It'll be an interesting race because while Marr doesn't seem to give a shit about the charts, he's already hustling the ramp up on the release date.

It's that old advertising maxim: If they hear about the product enough, they'll eventually buy it.

Well johnny can actually get through a tour without drama.

...and without a decent vocal performance.

It's not really about whether he (or Morrissey) cares about chart positions. It's whether he's happy with a record deal which can be supported by the sales he is likely to achieve. Marr is likely to be happy with a much smaller-scale record deal than Morrissey. Maybe one that requires only 10,000 UK sales whereas Morrissey's will need perhaps closer to 100,000. That's why Morrissey has long gaps in putting out new stuff, and Marr can do so when he feels like it.

...and without a decent vocal performance.

Come on. Nobody goes to see Johnny Marr for his voice, do they?

Back
Top Bottom