Neal Cassady Drops Dead

martynsolo

I have to say that I have listened to Morrissey's new album including bonus tracks and only two or three songs stand out, and when I say "stand out" I mean that very slightly. The album is not his best. I cannot have all the songs on the ipod shuffle because they are so noisey and I cannot stand Morrissey's voice when he does the falsetto or starts wailing.

There is only two songs that really held some interest: Julie in the weeds and Neal Cassidy Drops Dead.

Julie starts off well. Morrissey's voice is nice. No wailing. Just a luxurious voice. The song is let down by the instrumental peace in the middle, which sounds like George Michael's Last Christmas song. I don't know what it is with Morrissey songs lately, but they end as soon as they begin. Julie is okay. It is a tight song. But it just lacks gravitas, at least compared with Girlfriend in a Coma or even A Girl I used to Know.

Then there's Neal Cassidy. The song has plenty of screech and scrunge in it. It is loud. Menacing. The song reminds me of Lockdown from the Transformers 4 Extinction movie. The best bit of the song is the Spanish guitar piece in the middle, perhaps because it is a break from the screeching and scrunging? But the guitar piece is too short, and before you know it back comes the loud music.

Maybe it is just me but loud, screeching music hurts my ears, and Morrissey is trying to compete with the instruments. I prefer softer songs, songs with feeling, melancholic, and quintessential Englishness. Not sure why Morrissey prefers this heavy-laden songs. Don't get me wrong, they have their place: All You Need is Me would probably not sound as well if it featured softer instruments.

Overall the new album is a let down for me. The instruments are too loud, too sanitized in places, and the arrangement just lacks originality. Most of the songs feature that all too predictable (Spanish guitar excepted) instrumental middle bit, that goes dah, dah, dah, dah, duhhhh...dah, dah, dah, dah, duhhhhh. :squiffy:

If Morrissey intends to do another album I hope he resists the urge to create noisey songs, and roll out some iconic songs influenced from his early solo career, and just make sure that the instruments accompany the voice not compete with it. The voice is great. And Morrissey, no more wailing or high falsettos and no more quirky "yayahhaihaihs" like you did with Bullfighter. :thumb:

Re: Neal Cassidy Drops Dead.

I have to say that I have listened to Morrissey's new album including bonus tracks and only two or three songs stand out, and when I say "stand out" I mean that very slightly. The album is not his best. I cannot have all the songs on the ipod shuffle because they are so noisey and I cannot stand Morrissey's voice when he does the falsetto or starts wailing.

There is only two songs that really held some interest: Julie in the weeds and Neal Cassidy Drops Dead.

Julie starts off well. Morrissey's voice is nice. No wailing. Just a luxurious voice. The song is let down by the instrumental peace in the middle, which sounds like George Michael's Last Christmas song. I don't know what it is with Morrissey songs lately, but they end as soon as they begin. Julie is okay. It is a tight song. But it just lacks gravitas, at least compared with Girlfriend in a Coma or even A Girl I used to Know.

Then there's Neal Cassidy. The song has plenty of screech and scrunge in it. It is loud. Menacing. The song reminds me of Lockdown from the Transformers 4 Extinction movie. The best bit of the song is the Spanish guitar piece in the middle, perhaps because it is a break from the screeching and scrunging? But the guitar piece is too short, and before you know it back comes the loud music.

Maybe it is just me but loud, screeching music hurts my ears, and Morrissey is trying to compete with the instruments. I prefer softer songs, songs with feeling, melancholic, and quintessential Englishness. Not sure why Morrissey prefers this heavy-laden songs. Don't get me wrong, they have their place: All You Need is Me would probably not sound as well if it featured softer instruments.

Overall the new album is a let down for me. The instruments are too loud, too sanitized in places, and the arrangement just lacks originality. Most of the songs feature that all too predictable (Spanish guitar excepted) instrumental middle bit, that goes dah, dah, dah, dah, duhhhh...dah, dah, dah, dah, duhhhhh. :squiffy:

If Morrissey intends to do another album I hope he resists the urge to create noisey songs, and roll out some iconic songs influenced from his early solo career, and just make sure that the instruments accompany the voice not compete with it. The voice is great. And Morrissey, no more wailing or high falsettos and no more quirky "yayahhaihaihs" like you did with Bullfighter. :thumb:

Sshhh you're not allowed to say that on here. You'll hang for it boy.

LOL that's not Morrissey.

I rank Neal Cassady alongside How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel? in a category that I never thought I'd have to place any Moz song; "Great music, let down only by some terrible lyrics".

I rank Neal Cassady alongside How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel? in a category that I never thought I'd have to place any Moz song; "Great music, let down only by some terrible lyrics".

For me, that's true of so many songs on World Peace... for example, I love the drum pattern and music overall to One of Our Own, but the lyrics are cringeworthy in places ("He took the plug and hit the rug" - even Moz's obligatory use of the phallic 'plug' seems embarrassing). The lazy misogyny of Kick the Bride, etc... the list goes on.
Who would ever have predicted that a Morrissey album could have been so much better if they'd only replaced the lyricist/singer?

:

And there we have it - even Michael Bay fans think the album is shit.

I can't be the only one on here that finds Neal Cassidy Drops Dead to be absolutely terrible, can I?

I can't be the only one on here that finds Neal Cassidy Drops Dead to be absolutely terrible, can I?

Nope, you are not.
Removed from my version of the album on itunes, along with Earth Is The Loneliest Planet, which I find quite frankly unlistenable.
Smiler is gone too - boring, boring, boring...
The rest of the album is great.

Nope, you are not.
Removed from my version of the album on itunes, along with Earth Is The Loneliest Planet, which I find quite frankly unlistenable.

You must not be listening right, smiler is littered with complex sub plots and haunting melodies, by far one of morrisseys most artistic efforts.

Only jokin, its shit.

No there is like 2 or 3 of you. I would've though more but then that poll shot up for Neal Cassady quite rapidly.

No there is like 2 or 3 of you. I would've though more but then that poll shot up for Neal Cassady quite rapidly.

Haha 2 or 3 of you, condescending prick, trying to play it down. Theres loads that do like it and loads that dont, just let it be.

Nope, you are not.

Neal & Smiler are really bottom of the barrel songs that don't work on any level. Should've been relegated to the bonus/b-tracks & replaced by the superior Action & Art-Hounds.

Back
Top Bottom