Johnny Marr album 'Playland' released October 6th

Johnny Marr’s Second Solo Album ‘Playland’ to be Released October 6th

Johnny Marr’s upwards trajectory continues unabated with the release of his second solo album ‘Playland’ which is out on October 6th on Warners. Work on ‘Playland’ commenced in London in the Spring as soon as the year of touring in support of ‘The Messenger’ came to a close. It finds Marr continuing the creative connection that was forged on ‘The Messenger’ with collaborator and co-producer Doviak as well as the other musicians who performed on the album and accompanying tour.

As Johnny states: “When The Messenger came out I kept on writing. I liked that the band had a momentum going on tour and a connection with the audience, and I thought that energy would be good to capture on the new record.”

More on the official Johnny Marr website: http://www.johnny-marr.com/music-re...olo-album-playland-to-be-released-october-6th

Re: New Johnny Marr album 'Playland' released October 6th

Am I the only one who finds the timing of this announcement slightly suspicious? Morrissey releases a new album which gets mainly very positive reviews (especially from the big music mags) and then Johnny Marr announces his own album....which isn't out for another three months. On the surface it seems childish to me.

Am I the only one who finds the timing of this announcement slightly suspicious? Morrissey releases a new album which gets mainly very positive reviews (especially from the big music mags) and then Johnny Marr announces his own album....which isn't out for another three months. On the surface it seems childish to me.

Not really. Three months is round about the usual notice for a major album release. 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business' was announced something like five months ahead of its release. Had the announcement of Johnny Marr's album been made on the day that Morrissey's album was released (14/07/14), now THAT would have been suspicious.....

Goodwill and the novelty factor of first solo album got Johnny through the first album 'campaign' - he'll need a seriously improved batch of tunes to match its success this time round.
M Maher

Back In The Box
Easy Money
Dynamo - same name as song released by Bernard Sumner's side project Bad Lieutenant
Candidate - Joy Division song title
25 Hours - almost like Joy Division song title (Twenty Four Hours)

The Trap
Playland
Speak Out Reach Out - reminds me of Stretch Out And Wait
Boys Get Straight
This Tension
Little King

"Back in the Box" is also the title of a David Byrne song.

Back In The Box
Easy Money
Dynamo - same name as song released by Bernard Sumner's side project Bad Lieutenant

The Trap
Playland
Boys Get Straight
This Tension
Little King

Back In The Box
Easy Money

The Trap
Playland
Boys Get Straight
This Tension
Little King

"Easy Money" is the name of a Nick Cave song...

"Boys Get Straight" makes me think of Bowie's "Boys Keep Swinging."

Boys Get Straight reminds me of Boys Say Go by Depeche Mode

This Tension reminds me of Fragile Tension by Depeche Mode

Good point well taken. I suppose the thing that surprised me the most was that the announcement featured as rolling news on the RTE News channel (in Ireland) and I wasn't expecting it, and wasn't expecting it to warrant nationwide news.

At times we are not that happy with Morrissey Covers, well this one is not really that exciting either.....I have not bought his first solo album, might give it a try now....and if I like it will get his next one...

Cheers Moz

Yes....and limited to 1000 copies in the UK....

Cheers Moz

the johnny marr and the healers cover was horrible. not even gonna mention the title of the album

JOHNNY-MARR.jpg

what a fantastic band though..Zak Starkey on Drums and Alonza Beavin on Bass..getting to see them in smalls venues was amazing

the johnny marr and the healers cover was horrible. not even gonna mention the title of the album

JOHNNY-MARR.jpg

cool, record had it moments but there were things that held it back for me and made it pretty uneven, even in the same song. dont wanna just trash it or anything as whats the point in that, theyre all great players i agree but it wasnt for me. probably much better live i imagine.

'Boomslang' was mostly awful - vacuous lyrics, and plodding Oasis-style Dad rock music.
'The Messenger' was a HUGE improvement, so I'm feeling pretty positive about 'Playland'.

Back
Top Bottom