Why do some people hate WPINOYB ?

Why do some people hate WPINOYB

• Total voters

Dabb hands

I had the good fortune of hearing all 18 songs for the first time - all at once. There were other hold outs, I'm sure we had a different experience than those who (admittedly) were already familiar with four (to eight) of the tracks.
I also did not stream, so I read every review and comment on all the tracks (even Aghuta's) before hearing. It was easy for me to except and love unconditionally knowing in advance about 'everything' that people found objectionable. It makes me sad to hear that people who have loved 'everything' else - hate this. I want them to have what 'they' want too; It's about taste, but also expectations, timing, and perception - not just differing opinions.

Last edited:
I had the good fortune of hearing all 18 songs for the first time - all at once. There were other hold outs, I'm sure we had a different experience than those who (admittedly) were already familiar with four (to eight) of the tracks.
I also did not stream, so I read every review and comment on all the tracks (even Aghuta's) before hearing. It was easy for me to except and love unconditionally knowing in advance about 'everything' that people found objectionable. It makes me sad to hear that people who have loved 'everything' else - hate this. I want them to have what 'they' want too; It's about taste, but also expectations, timing, and perception - not just differing opinions.

Don't be sad for the ones left behind. They have plenty of other Morrissey albums they can listen to. You can't please everyone and that includes Morrissey himself.

Great poll.

I don't think it is number 5. I don't feel that the vast vast (yes I used that twice) majority would go against the grain just because. Critics and fans have expressed the sentiments of 1, 2, 3, and 4 below. I don't agree with those that hold the "crap" argument (#1 below) because I feel the album has enough strong tracks to stay clear of crap territory.

I don't agree with the "familiar" argument (#2) below, as a general notion, because I feel the last four albums (Quarry, ROTT, YOR, and World Peace) have all been quite different. To build on this, when I go to Morrissey shows, I see as many young, new, fans as I do longtime fans. It's not like U2 - where the majority of fans are the same age as Bono. At Morrissey shows, I see the children of people my age and these young people are not stuck on The Smiths, Viva Hate, Vauxhall, etc. This is to say they don't have a familiarity complex if you will. So, while "some" fans hold this view, there are enough new fans who don't, enough old fans whose tastes have evolved to liking Morrissey's newer material, and enough old fans that have left for this very reason, that the "some" who hold this view make up a small fractional portion of those that post here. Why would someone come here, and why would they hang around, when Morrissey broke from the past with Quarry and never looked back?

I do believe "longing for the past" (#3 below) is a valid reason to be let down, and despite the wide and diverse demographics of this site, The Queen Is Dead, Vauxhall & I, and Viva Hate, and older material top the polls. Given that there are people on this site ranging from say 18 to 50 something, even those young people, people who have been turned on and tuned into Moz from Quarry forward still hold the older albums in very high regard. So, while I agree with the first half of your statement "long for the past" I disagree with "remember it better than it was" because it was great. This is not a knock on the new material.

To address the "too ethnic" argument (#4 below), I don't think anyone will admit to even the most subtle hint of racism on this site even if they are racist. I do think that the "too ethnic" argument is valid insofar as it is jarring to hear Moz and the music of "Earth is The Loneliest Planet." I was dancing in the aisle at a concert to this song...and so in a good way I was jolted. Others, find that sound (not because they are racist for the vast vast majority) jolting in a bad way. I cannot blame them. While new sounds, notably keyboards, flute, etc. found way onto Quarry, and a children's chorus, orchestra, etc. were employed on ROTT, it is not far fetched to say that this Spanish-y sound is a radical departure, because other than "When I Last Spoke To Carol" from YOR, this sound has never been as strong even on songs with Mexican / Mexican-American themes ("First of the Gang to Die" - "Don't Make Fun of Daddy's Voice" - "Mexico").

In conclusion, I reject the notion noted in #5 below that fans are cutting against the majority just "because." I believe those that think it is "crap" noted in #1 below should give the album some time and/or consider if their disappointment stems from cancellations and things unrelated to the quality of the album. I reject the notion of "familiarity" - as a general idea - as stated in #2 below because the fan-base is comprised of enough young fans whose familiarity may have begun at Hollywood High in 2013, the subtraction of older fans who left, and enough older fans who stayed and whose tastes have evolved such that it is only from the touchy march of time, and not personal listening experience, that they would take umbrage based on "familiarity."

I accept #3 "longing for the past" and see nothing wrong in holding this view. We are discussing an artist who, if he played, an entire concert of never performed b-sides, from the 20th century, so more than 14 year old songs, could have thousands in near pandemonium.

As for me, I liked this album at first listen (on Tuesday) AND I find it is a grower. Are these things opposed? No. Can they be happening at the same time? Yes. And so while I am not suggesting your poll is in any way oversimplified, people are not the same everywhere, people are complex, most Morrissey fans are highly astute and schooled and well-versed in the Great Man's back catalog. The same person who thinks it's crap today may feel differently as time passes. I apologize if I failed to answer your question or contradicted myself. I'm sure my post can be picked apart and that's OK. People contradict themselves often. It is further proof that we are complex beings. Enjoy the album, ignore the haters, don't read reviews or opinions if they kill your joy. I have submitted, and David T. has kindly published, between 40 and 50 reviews of this album alone and hundreds in the past of other albums. Admission: I have not even read one review. I never do. I just give the name of the author, publication, grade/number of stars, and link to the review and leave it there, because, for the most part, the reviews of critics kill my joy, detract, and distract from my listening experience. Thanks for posting this poll. It's very good.

- Ghoul

------------

Dabb hands wrote:

1) Because it's bad, convoluted, crappy and lazy
2) Because they prefer things they are familiar with and have gotten used to
3) Because they long for the past and always remember it better than it was
4) Because it's too ethnic
5) Because they can only side w/ things that the majority are against

yeah, good poll, hence my thumbing you :thumb:
as for the poll options, I love the album and am often deeply nostalgic for the past :blushing:
which is why I did not vote for #1 or #5 :straightface:
also, another reason to consider might be that studies show people who like the new album are smarter than those who don't :p:eek:

You miss the option: because they are stupid hipsters that only like the first three Smiths' albums nad thinks anything after these are crap and cannot open to something new. . .

Anyway the new album IS GREAT!

Party #3 but also #1, lazy in parts. Morrissey's lyrics are no where near as strong as they used to be, for whatever reason, I don't know. His writing hasn't got the same depth to it, there's no disputing that, anyone who does, is doing so out of blind loyalty. I'm a moz fan like anyone else and have spent fortunes on even his shittest work but let's call a spade a spade. Kiss me a lot, repeated over and over for 4 minutes, cumon we've been waiting 5 years for a new album is this the best he could do? Didn't boz say moz had a plethora of songs to chose from? If these are the best then god help the next album, Kiss me a lot kiss me a lot, really moz 5 years. "One of our own" I've said it before, it's rhyming for beginners, lead-head, round-ground, blast-plast-very last, plug-rug, f*** me are u having a laugh, I had my head in my hands listening to that, oh no moz what you doing. I can no longer convert my friends to moz with the argument I've always used, which is "he's a genius lyricist, no one compares, how can u not like him, his words are unrivalled", they'll throw me back in my cage if I made them listen to this album. I'll stick to the 90's solo & the smiths. Viva moz, you're a legend but for 5 years in the waiting, it's a poor effort.

You miss the option: because they are stupid hipsters that only like the first three Smiths' albums nad thinks anything after these are crap and cannot open to something new. . .

Anyway the new album IS GREAT!

First 3 albums? I wouldn't give them that much credit. They know what's on The Sound of The Smiths and that's about it.

Party #3 but also #1, lazy in parts. Morrissey's lyrics are no where near as strong as they used to be, for whatever reason, I don't know. His writing hasn't got the same depth to it, there's no disputing that, anyone who does, is doing so out of blind loyalty. I'm a moz fan like anyone else and have spent fortunes on even his shittest work but let's call a spade a spade. Kiss me a lot, repeated over and over for 4 minutes, cumon we've been waiting 5 years for a new album is this the best he could do? Didn't boz say moz had a plethora of songs to chose from? If these are the best then god help the next album, Kiss me a lot kiss me a lot, really moz 5 years. "One of our own" I've said it before, it's rhyming for beginners, lead-head, round-ground, blast-plast-very last, plug-rug, f*** me are u having a laugh, I had my head in my hands listening to that, oh no moz what you doing. I can no longer convert my friends to moz with the argument I've always used, which is "he's a genius lyricist, no one compares, how can u not like him, his words are unrivalled", they'll throw me back in my cage if I made them listen to this album. I'll stick to the 90's solo & the smiths. Viva moz, you're a legend but for 5 years in the waiting, it's a poor effort.

It's a great album. There I've disputed it. I must therefore be a blind loyalist.

Blind Loyalists Of The World Unite.

Last edited:
What a ridiculous set of options. The only possible answer is De gustibus non est disputandum. Forget everything else.

P.

Last edited:
It's a great album. There I've disputed it. I must therefore be a blind loyalist.

Blind Loyalists Of The World Unite.

Where would you rank it with the likes of viva hate, your arsenal, Vauxhall, any of the smiths albums? Because the great albums are what moz will be measured on, anything remotely sub par will be considered a let down in my opinion.

Probably hate is not the right word but I think it is pretty normal that some Morrissey fans think that this Album is not that great afterall. I would be very surprised otherwise....you cant expect everyone to agree that this is a truly great effort.
Take Maladjusted : most people think it is not a good album, well let me tell you : I really like most the tracks if not all......but that's my opinion ;)

Cheers Moz

Probably hate is not the right word but I think it is pretty normal that some Morrissey fans think that this Album is not that great afterall. I would be very surprised otherwise....you cant expect everyone to agree that this is a truly great effort.
Take Maladjusted : most people think it is not a good album, well let me tell you : I really like most the tracks if not all......but that's my opinion ;)

Cheers Moz

Of course its normal and i dont see why an opposing opinion should get peoples backs up. Opinions only matter to the person they belong to, so as long as u believe in it, a differing one shouldnt ruffle you, (not you personally). Everyones leaping to the defence of Morrissey, does he really need defending, does the album need defending, if its as great as people are making out then surely it does not. Anyway i'm sticking by mine and saying it's on a par with his last 2, (which isnt saying much) but to label it "great" as some are, after just 5 days... *big sigh*

I agree w/ you 100% about Morrissey lyrics, it is not news - I first felt this way when I first heard 'Sing Your Life' - that was in 1991. And I'm still here and it's why I created the poll. I don't agree that it's down to laziness. If he doesn't enjoy writing, then why is he writing books. I think he prefers that results in his craft when he says less as opposed to more, having already said more, - before. I hate dragging out examples (because we can all do this all day) but when I read the lyrics to 'Staircase' they appeared useless. When I listen I enjoy him repeating the lines twice - he sets the scene then I use my own thoughts (along with the music and his inflection) to add details to the developing story in my head, which is personal to me; and I think that is the intention.
That plane that went down Wednesday was in Ukraine so now when I listen to the lyrics to the title song I will remember that that happened the day after the album came out (-always more being revealed) - the lyrics don't have to be definitive to resonate.
Thank you for thoughtful responses - everyone.

I voted for #5 but to be honest, I don’t really think that’s the case...just the one that fit the most out of the choices.

I think it boils down to a couple things:

1) They just plain don’t like it. No rhyme or reason. They gave it a shot and it did nothing for them. They went in wanting to like it but just couldn’t do it.

2) They knew they were going to hate it before hearing it.

3) The internet. Allow me to explain....I think in this day and age, the fact that we can just download something from a leak, hear it streaming, etc. can actually hurt an artist like Moz. People can hear the album once and dismiss it quickly without having to invest anything. Let’s think back to say, the pre-wilderness years when “Maladjusted” was the new album. People couldn’t just go online and check it out before buying. The die hard fans went to the store on the release date and plunked down $15 for the CD. I don’t know about you, but when I buy something, I’m going to be more prone to try and let it “grow on me” than I am if I just download some mp3s for free. That doesn’t really happen anymore since everything is at our fingertips.

People couldn’t just go online and check it out before buying. The die hard fans went to the store on the release date and plunked down $15 for the CD. I don’t know about you, but when I buy something, I’m going to be more prone to try and let it “grow on me” than I am if I just download some mp3s for free. That doesn’t really happen anymore since everything is at our fingertips.

That's absolutely true, and not just among the die-hard fans. Pre-internet, I bought LOADS of albums just out of plain curiosity. I dislike streaming services for a whole host of reasons that I won't bother getting into here ( :rolleyes: ), but one of the worst side effects is that albums are dismissed without any time spent becoming familiar with them. I can't tell you how many bands/albums people have told me I might like that I've given 20-30 seconds to on YouTube before deciding I "don't like them." Pre-internet, I would've bought the album and listened to the whole damn thing multiple times.

Back
Top Bottom