What is Jesus Alejandro Tobias's finest hour ?

What is Jesse Tobias's finest hour ?

• Total voters
im not a man along with world peace and kiss me are the song i find myself sing the most."so much bigger and better than" goes round and round

Is that it? One line out of a six minute song is what you're wanking about, must be shit

This is just plain nasty. What a mean spirited thing to say.
This thread is celebrating Jesse.

It's a fact that he's come into his own on the new album. His songs are fab, his playing is great.
Johnny Marr has moved on... Alain Whyte has moved on... The world has moved on...

Oh Velvis, take the cotton wool out of your ears. My comment wasn't "nasty". It reflected my view that he's an utterly God-awful songwriter and guitarist, who Morrissey kept in the band for friendship and companionship rather than anything to do with his musical ability. Nothing more, nothing less.

I like his songs and I think he's a good egg. The anti-Jesse crowd are clearly just jealous of his looks and his bond with Morrissey.
Viva Jesse!

no not just one line, thats just the one line i felt like mentioning

You're wasting your breath Velvis.

He is? A couple of days ago, you asked myself and another "detractor" if there was anything we liked about Morrissey's post-wilderness albums.

I responded honestly and rather than engaging with anything I've said, you take side-swipes like this and continue with your general mantra that The Nasty Detractors are a bunch of losers stuck in 1984, who just want Johnny Marr back and haven't gotten their head around Viva Hate yet, never mind the rest of Morrissey's career. Because those narrow-minded shut-ins have to be the only people who think Jesse Tobias, or Ringleader, or anything solo-Morrissey does could possibly be a stonking great pile of shit, right? :rolleyes:

He is? A couple of days ago, you asked myself and another "detractor" if there was anything we liked about Morrissey's post-wilderness albums.

I responded honestly and rather than engaging with anything I've said, you take side-swipes like this and continue with your general mantra that The Nasty Detractors are a bunch of losers stuck in 1984, who just want Johnny Marr back and haven't gotten their head around Viva Hate yet, never mind the rest of Morrissey's career. Because those narrow-minded shut-ins have to be the only people who think Jesse Tobias, or Ringleader, or anything solo-Morrissey does could possibly be a stonking great pile of shit, right? :rolleyes:

You're wasting you're breath amy

Really? Have u heard any other morrissey songs?

This is the sort of patronising response that I would expect from people on this site. This is why I generally don't post or come here anymore. Of course, now I expect comments such as 'good riddance' etc.

This is the sort of patronising response that I would expect from people on this site. This is why I generally don't post or come here anymore. Of course, now I expect comments such as 'good riddance' etc.

forgive me, smiler with knife is one of morrisseys greatest ever songs, what was I thinking to diss it, its way better than that shit he released in the late 80's early-mid 90's, this new style is the way forward. I remember someone called oboe concerto great because of the way he says "concherrrto", morrissey rolling his 'R's, when did he start doing that, that's reason enough to like the album. Forget late night maudlin street, seasick yet still docked, I know it's gonna happen, suedehead, speedway, interesting drug, now my heart is full, I know very well, mute witness, you know what forget all them cos there f***ing shit, what do I know, I'm living in the past, Smiler with knife, now there's a tune.

Coincidence or not, he seems to butcher Alain's songs when playing them live. Cf. versions of First of the Gang To Die, Let Me Kiss You, You're The One For Me, Fatty, and Reader Meet Author (Alain's solo) with Alain versus versions with Jesse's. The latter at the BBC in February 2009 is about as awful as it gets.

This.

My attitude toward Jesse has softened as of late, but for a very long time I was harshly critical of him, mainly for reasons stated above. Seeing Alain perform with Morrissey is not a requisite for preferring his playing to Jesse's---I hadn't gone to my first Morrissey show until long after he'd left the band. The only point of reference I needed for comparison was the recorded songs. The two guitarists have drastically different approaches to the instrument, and what Jesse sorely lacked was the nuance, stylistic diversity and restraint that Whyte demonstrated in both studio and live settings. Jesse's playing was hamfisted and sloppy, drowned in distortion and riddled with error. Never had a musician in Morrissey's band made so many f***ing mistakes, and so frequently.

However, it seems that Jesse's musicianship has improved over the last two years or so, and I am thrilled with how tasteful the guitar playing is on the new album (Jessie's included). His capabilities as a songwriter seem to have improved as well, though I'm not sure to what degree the stylistic changes can be credited to the band as opposed to Chiccarelli.

That said, while criticism of Jesse Tobias has been far from unjustified over the years, the crux of the problem rests squarely with Morrissey, as he calls the shots. Jesse is in the band, playing guitar the way he plays, because Morrissey wants it that way. I remember the 2009 live arrangement of "This Charming Man" drew ire amongst fans because that wonderful, iridescent guitar riff was replaced with gauche power chords. Understandably, Jesse came in for a lashing, though Gustavo later revealed in an interview that the song was played in that manner at Morrissey's behest.

For whatever reason, Jesse's bold and brash approach to guitar playing appealed to Morrissey at the time, and so it became a dominant component in his music----many would argue to his detriment. Why it appealed to Morrissey is the really interesting question. Amy brings up the fact that he was obviously smitten with Jesse; few people would argue he wasn't. It's absolutely the reason why Jesse so rapidly ascended in status and influence within Camp Morrissey. However, I also think Morrissey was genuinely ready for a shift in sound and Jesse showed up at the right place, right time.

Last edited:
Oh Velvis, take the cotton wool out of your ears. My comment wasn't "nasty". It reflected my view that he's an utterly God-awful songwriter and guitarist, who Morrissey kept in the band for friendship and companionship rather than anything to do with his musical ability. Nothing more, nothing less.

Amy if you think that 'I'm Not a Man' and 'Smiler With Knife' are "utterly God-awful songs" then I would say that you are the one with cotton wool in your ears.

Do not fool yourselves. Tobias will never write songs as good as: Irish Blood English Heart, First of the Gang to Die, Come Back To Camden. This is to make no list of all the great songs on Viva Hate, Bona Drag, Your Arsenal, Vauxhall and I, etc. Tobias is a liability. He also has the disposition of a Rent Boy. His finest moment was being a Red Hot Chili Pepper and touring with Alanis Morrisette - lesser artists than Morrissey who would not let Tobias write one song.

He also has the disposition of a Rent Boy.

But on the downside...
If you mean by that that he's hot and you definitely would (as would we all, of course) then you've hit on the exact cause of all the nastiness towards Jesse. He's sex on legs and he's great chums with Morrissey and we can't stand it!
He writes awesome songs, though - and we can all appreciate that, even while we seethe at the unfairness of such a fine specimen of humanity also penetrating Morrissey's intimate circle.
Maybe World Peace is None of Your Business is finally an opportunity for all of us to let bygones be bygones and just enjoy the pure sexy talent of Our Lord Jesus Tobias?

But on the downside...
If you mean by that that he's hot and you definitely would (as would we all, of course) then you've hit on the exact cause of all the nastiness towards Jesse. He's sex on legs and he's great chums with Morrissey and we can't stand it!
He writes awesome songs, though - and we can all appreciate that, even while we seethe at the unfairness of such a fine specimen of humanity also penetrating Morrissey's intimate circle.
Maybe World Peace is None of Your Business is finally an opportunity for all of us to let bygones be bygones and just enjoy the pure sexy talent of Our Lord Jesus Tobias?

"He's sex on legs and he's great chums with Morrissey and we can't stand it!" Learn to speak for yourself and stop using "We" as a means for gaining support, Marred.

"He's sex on legs and he's great chums with Morrissey and we can't stand it!" Learn to speak for yourself and stop using "We" as a means for gaining support, Marred.

You know you want some Jesse-love up your bumbum.
Such a shame he has some taste and good eyesight. :(

forgive me, smiler with knife is one of morrisseys greatest ever songs, what was I thinking to diss it, its way better than that shit he released in the late 80's early-mid 90's, this new style is the way forward. I remember someone called oboe concerto great because of the way he says "concherrrto", morrissey rolling his 'R's, when did he start doing that, that's reason enough to like the album. Forget late night maudlin street, seasick yet still docked, I know it's gonna happen, suedehead, speedway, interesting drug, now my heart is full, I know very well, mute witness, you know what forget all them cos there f***ing shit, what do I know, I'm living in the past, Smiler with knife, now there's a tune.

What the hell is your problem? It's subjective, isn't it? Yes, there are plenty of great songs throughout his career, and he is still creating more. Mountjoy is another one. Disagree if you must, but don't tell me I'm wrong.

What the hell is your problem? It's subjective, isn't it? Yes, there are plenty of great songs throughout his career, and he is still creating more. Mountjoy is another one. Disagree if you must, but don't tell me I'm wrong.

Agreed, Mountjoy is heart-smashingly beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom