What is Jesus Alejandro Tobias's finest hour ?

What is Jesse Tobias's finest hour ?

• Total voters
Ok no problem. I just wasn't aware there was any hidden agenda.

Sorry it's not you it's just lately there has been so much anonymous posting that after a while I have no idea who I am talking to replying to. There's no hidden agenda. Some people just love to hate him to a degree that goes beyond disapproving of his guitar playing.

His finest hour will be the moment he leaves.

This is just plain nasty. What a mean spirited thing to say.
This thread is celebrating Jesse.

It's a fact that he's come into his own on the new album. His songs are fab, his playing is great.
Johnny Marr has moved on... Alain Whyte has moved on... The world has moved on...

It's not that nasty, nasty would be saying I hope he dies of a million bee stings and then has his body defecated on by an angry bear whilst crows pluck his eyes from his sockets.

This is just plain nasty. What a mean spirited thing to say.
This thread is celebrating Jesse.

It's a fact that he's come into his own on the new album. His songs are fab, his playing is great.
Johnny Marr has moved on... Alain Whyte has moved on... The world has moved on...

You're wasting your breath Velvis.

'You Have Killed Me' is definitely my favorite, though I like many of these songs.
One thing we have to keep in mind when criticising a particular co-writer's set of songs, I think, is that we all know how odd Morrissey's choices can be sometimes, so we'll never really know if any of these co-writers have come up with stuff that is superior than what is known but which was rejected - for whatever reason - by Her Royal Mozness, in his infinite wisdom.

I just never really understood the hate. And this isn't the first place I've seen him get trashed.

Maybe it's because both times I saw Moz live Jesse was in the band (never got to see him during the Alain era) and I thought he did a fine job.

Maybe it's because both times I saw Moz live Jesse was in the band (never got to see him during the Alain era) and I thought he did a fine job.

I've seen Moz more than a dozen times with Alain (who I have an enormous amount of respect for), and more than a dozen times with Jesse. His style isn't the same, of course, but I like Jesse's energy a lot. I know absolutely nothing about the technical aspects of playing guitar, so I can only judge with my ears—and I like what Jesse has brought to the band, both in terms of songwriting (especially on the new album) and live performance. It's been a full decade with Jesse now, and if his presence does nothing else but compel Morrissey to want to continue writing and recording new music, that's the most important thing to me.

I've seen Moz more than a dozen times with Alain (who I have an enormous amount of respect for), and more than a dozen times with Jesse. His style isn't the same, of course, but I like Jesse's energy a lot. I know absolutely nothing about the technical aspects of playing guitar, so I can only judge with my ears—and I like what Jesse has brought to the band, both in terms of songwriting (especially on the new album) and live performance. It's been a full decade with Jesse now, and if his presence does nothing else but compel Morrissey to want to continue writing and recording new music, that's the most important thing to me.

Very well said. In my mind, if he's good enough for Moz, he's good enough for me!

...and one day, Jesse will move on. And many, many people will sigh with relief. ;)

It's not that nasty, nasty would be saying I hope he dies of a million bee stings and then has his body defecated on by an angry bear whilst crows pluck his eyes from his sockets.

No that's bordering on psychotic you sick twat. At least Amy had the balls to log in - you Anonymous posters who make these snide comments are just cowardly - why not log in.?

Sorry but I just can't converse with anonymous anymore.

A good policy I think.

I just never really understood the hate. And this isn't the first place I've seen him get trashed.

Same here. I've seen Moz 6 times and all have been with Jesse in the band. And although I agree that he sounds great live and brings a lot of energy to the line up, I do really regret not seeing Alain live. A lot of my favourite Moz songs are Alain co-writes so it would have been nice to see him play some of them.

I think he has composed many great songs, but I particularly like "Smiler With Knife". In fact, I think it's as good as any Morrissey/Smiths song. I want to kiss it all over it's face......I think.

I think he has composed many great songs, but I particularly like "Smiler With Knife". In fact, I think it's as good as any Morrissey/Smiths song. I want to kiss it all over it's face......I think.

Really? Have u heard any other morrissey songs?

As one who has very vocally been in the anti-Jesse camp - having seen his very first Morrissey show, I come quite qualified - I can readily admit that his songs on WPINOYB are superior to his tracks on ROTT and YOR. But, having seen him in concert over 10 times, I think he is thoroughly overrated as a live guitarist. The hammer-ons, bends, and nasty guitar tone are very anodyne with Morrissey's songs. Coincidence or not, he seems to butcher Alain's songs when playing them live. Cf. versions of First of the Gang To Die, Let Me Kiss You, You're The One For Me, Fatty, and Reader Meet Author (Alain's solo) with Alain versus versions with Jesse's. The latter at the BBC in February 2009 is about as awful as it gets.

Alain often gets stick for his renditions of Smiths songs and many have said that Jesse played them in a vastly superior fashion. Most naysayers will usually point to The Headmaster Ritual on Who Put The M..., which is not a fair point of comparison because there seems to have been tuning issues, plus Alain was already clearly not at his best. This doesn't even contemplate the fact that Boz played most of the solos on Smiths songs from 1995-2004. And, if one listens to the 1997 live version of Paint a Vulgar Picture, Alain's solo is spot on with JM's original. He was also playing a version of Bigmouth Strikes Again with Red Lightning at the latter part of 2004, probably not coincidentally at the same time Morrissey resurrected it. His playing is very estimable in comparison to Jesse's - let alone the fact that he was handling vocals and didn't have an additional guitarists to add texture. You could also argue that Alain never played on as many Smiths songs, so how can you fairly compare the two with different sample sizes?

The vast majority of us totally get it that the Alain era is over - he has moved on as much as Morrissey has. But the circumstances and questions as to why remain. I think many of us perceive an element of injustice to his departure/dismissal and, naturally, that places some onus on Jesse, the one left behind. It's not fair, but life isn't.

Last edited:
No that's bordering on psychotic you sick twat. At least Amy had the balls to log in - you Anonymous posters who make these snide comments are just cowardly - why not log in.?

What's so brave about logging on under a made up username like 'Velvis'? How is that in any way, any less anonymous than posting as 'Anonymous'?
If you have the courage of your convictions, post under your real name, and change your profile picture to a picture of yourself, rather than Evlis Presley. Otherwise, if you want to keep hiding behind a mask, then shut the f*** up criticising other people. Deal?

You thought that was nasty, huh, I didn't even get to the anal ra... You know what, never mind

What's so brave about logging on under a made up username like 'Velvis'? How is that in any way, any less anonymous than posting as 'Anonymous'?
If you have the courage of your convictions, post under your real name, and change your profile picture to a picture of yourself, rather than Evlis Presley. Otherwise, if you want to keep hiding behind a mask, then shut the f*** up criticising other people. Deal?

True that my annoymous friend, t-rooooooo dat

im not a man along with world peace and kiss me are the song i find myself sing the most."so much bigger and better than" goes round and round

Back
Top Bottom