What is Jesus Alejandro Tobias's finest hour ?

What is Jesse Tobias's finest hour ?

• Total voters
The day I met Morrissey he kneeled down on the ground and scratched my dogs ears and talked to him for quite a while. Good guy Jesse Tobias. :sweet:

There really should be a poll - I'm being serious here - so people can state the reasons for which Jesse Tobias is hated so much. He's not the greatest guitarist on earth, that's for sure, but he's not bad at all either. Yes, he gets a bit physical and repetitive sometimes, but he's contributed to many great songs so far, and his songwriting style fits quite well in the whole formula and concept. So what's the reason for all the disgust that he seemingly causes among Morrissey fans?

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that he replaced Alain.

Every song Boz has contributed to the last four albums, and every song Alain has contributed to the three albums before World Peace are better than everything Tobias has written, with two exceptions: You Have Killed Me, I'm Not A Man.

There really should be a poll - I'm being serious here - so people can state the reasons for which Jesse Tobias is hated so much. He's not the greatest guitarist on earth, that's for sure, but he's not bad at all either. So what's the reason for all the disgust that he seemingly causes among Morrissey fans?

You've just stated it yourself: he is an exceedingly average guitar player. It's probably an over-reaction, but when you love Morrissey, and know he should be working with the very best guitarist he can lay his hands on, yet instead you see him dragging this chump around with him for the past decade, well - it does start to get slightly frustrating.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that he replaced Alain.

It's ironic that fans would have it out for Jesse Tobias for replacing Alain Whyte - ironic because I recall so much bitching on this site and others (and among some critics) that Morrissey needed to ditch Whyte (and Boorer) and work with new collaborators. I've heard Alain's writing repeatedly derided as bland, formulaic, chug-rock, background music, etc., by both fans and critics (an assessment I would mostly disagree with ... and occasionally agree completely with).

Alain co-wrote many of Morrissey's best solo songs and albums (Arsenal, Vauxhall, some of the great mid-90s singles and b-sides, Quarry, Ringleaders) and defined Morrissey's solo sound for many years. However, he also co-wrote some of Morrissey's relative weakest songs and albums (Southpaw, Maladjusted).

Jesse hasn't accumulated as many writing credits, but his record compares favorably to Alain's - he co-wrote two of Morrissey's best solo albums (Ringleaders and World Peace); however, his contributions to Years of Refusal were weak and really brought that album down. His writing on the new album definitively settles any questions of whether he can fill Alain's shoes - the new album is one of Morrissey's best, and Tobias's writing is uniformly excellent.

His finest hour will be the moment he leaves.

^^^^^

Oh crumbs!

We couldn't find any results for jesse tobias with these filters applied.

----

“alain whyte” We found 9,400 items!

It doesn't take a genius to work out where the completely unjustified hatred for Jesse Tobias comes from on this site.

Back
Top Bottom