What is the best thing about WPINOYB, in your opinion?

Fulham Road Lights

Ill-adjusted
There's lots of things I love about the new album, but one in particular is jumping out at me this minute. The final verse of Forgive Someone.

'Shorts and supports and faulty shower heads
At track and field we dreamt of our beds
In the bleachers you sit with your legs spread, smiling
"Here's one thing you'll never have"'

I think this is one of the best lyrics on the whole record. I love the way he sings it, together with the "Our truth will die with me" refrain. It's just so... so Morrissey. It's original, witty, clever, poetic. Not like those clumsy lines earlier in the album like "kiss me all over my face" and "press the blade against my skin, never to make love again". There's no subtlety there. They're just so obvious. Morrissey is at his worst when he churns out lazy lyrics.

What do you think?

The vocals. Moz cracks me up with his pronunciations and over the top falsettos. Nobody adds cheeky humor like this. Nobody!

"I'm Not A Man." Specifically Gustavo's gentle keyboard playing during the verses, and the overall concept of the song.

Musically, it sounds like Kill Uncle done properly to me and it's perfect. But the lyrics, oh, the lyrics! Even though he's as blunt and unambiguous as ever, some of them are perfect - the brilliant stories of Istanbul and Mountjoy, the introspection of Oboe Concerto and the Smiths-esque writing of Staircase; I think just for addressing the failures of masculinity in I'm Not a Man deserves a round of applause. Neal Cassady drops dead still interests me, and I've read some brilliant interpretations on here. His own jokey beat poetry perhaps? Ginsberg's bitterness toward Cassady becoming a 'victim' and choosing to have a family rather than to be an 'adventurer' alongside him?

'Earth is...' still disappoints me lyrically, though I understand and enjoy the simplicity of 'Kiss Me A Lot'. Above all, to have been gifted an album with so many high points this far into his career is all I care about; nothing is ever perfect, and there is more than enough to enjoy on here, musically, lyrically and vocally.
Well done, Moz! :)

I love so much about it but one thing that really sticks out is the production. Cheers to Joe Chicarelli.

I love that at the end if Art-Hounds after 'functions as a word' line I'm pretty sure he's stiffling a laugh.

Back
Top Bottom