WPINOYB: Is the album growing on you?

hect0r

For those of you that weren't initially feeling this album... Is it growing on you?

I listened to the album when it streamed on NPR and the only song that jumped out and grabbed me was 'Istanbul'. But I went out and purchased the deluxe edition this morning, and I have to say the album is starting to grow on me. 'I'm Not a Man' and 'Staircase at the University' still aren't doing it for me, but I'm warming to the fact that the album is pretty good overall.

In terms of the bonus tracks, 'Julie in the Weeds' is very Smiths-like. Great tune.

It seems like, for me, a lot of Morrissey's work doesn't do it for me immediately. Shamefully, I scoffed at the Smiths in earlier days, only to later discover the Truth. :D

Last edited:
I truly believe it gets better with each listen. Enjoy !

Morrissey's songs have a way of burying themselves in my brain. So, you never know, I might.

I mean, I even like his singing on 'Oh Phoney'. :p

That song is one of my Moz guilty pleasures.

I wouldn't say the album is "growing on me", as I pretty much liked it from the first time I listened to it. That phrase definitely applies for me to the Deluxe tracks, though- at first I didn't think much to them other than Art-hounds but now they are all growing on me, especially Forgive Someone and Julie In The Weeds.

That song is one of my Moz guilty pleasures.

I wouldn't say the album is "growing on me", as I pretty much liked it from the first time I listened to it. That phrase definitely applies for me to the Deluxe tracks, though- at first I didn't think much to them other than Art-hounds but now they are all growing on me, especially Forgive Someone and Julie In The Weeds.

Foolish me. I wrote "Julie in the woods". Annnnnnd edit!

It is literally growing on me. What is this green stuff coming out of it?

It's a good album with a few weak tracks. I really don't get how people are hailing it as a new high for Morrissey. The songwriting just isn't as good as it was on his last three. I can remember being totally floored listening to Ringleaders for the first time. With this, I'm very relieved that the predictions of a total artistic disaster so regularly made on this site have not come to be. But I really can't see how anyone can be in awe of this album.

Is it just me, or does when last i spoke to carol make much more sense on this album than Years of Refusal? The flamenco feel stuck out like a sore thumb in 2009 but now imho it would be right at home on wpinoyb..

It's a good album with a few weak tracks. I really don't get how people are hailing it as a new high for Morrissey. The songwriting just isn't as good as it was on his last three. I can remember being totally floored listening to Ringleaders for the first time. With this, I'm very relieved that the predictions of a total artistic disaster so regularly made on this site have not come to be. But I really can't see how anyone can be in awe of this album.

I am in awe of it. I wanted to be in awe of Ringleaders, (Rome, Morricone, Visconti, the 5 star review Paul Morley gave it in advance) but I wasn't. I just liked it a lot. This one I'm in awe of.

Is it just me, or does when last i spoke to carol make much more sense on this album than Years of Refusal? The flamenco feel stuck out like a sore thumb in 2009 but now imho it would be right at home on wpinoyb..

I agree! It’s almost like a little preview of what was to come.

Yeah, it's still growing on me. I liked it from the get-go, but the more I listen, the more I love it. It's the Morrissey album I've been wanting for the past 20 years! The only songs I hesitate on and sometimes want to skip are Earth is the Loneliest Planet and the title track, but that might just be because I'm anxious to hear the rest of the songs again. I have a feeling that in time I'll want to listen to the album in full.

I'm in the minority in liking YOR the most of his previous three albums, and Carol is my favorite song on there. Now I kind want to swap it with Earth...hmmm.

Back
Top Bottom