Silence of the Mozzer - Moz strangely silent around release of new album

I do agree with this, but I would imagine this (or at the very least, that there would be no physical singles released) was stipulated in his contract with Harvest. He had to have known…

My own guess, based on nothing at all, is that there simply was no money available from the contract to release physical singles. Physical album(s), then digital. It's a hell of a call these days to release physical singles, especially when the number of albums (in whatever format) sold gets you to number 2. Would there be any b-side material? Does ASCAP (or similar) list any more new material we don't know about? My guess is that when the tour came to an end, for whatever reason, though it looks like health, Harvest would have said - we simply can't afford to keep doing this. To their credit, they pushed as hard as they could on their income stream - the album. But that's all there is. I would be amazed if the second album came to fruition. I'd like it to, but I think there would have been an escape clause in the contract. I think (again, based on nothing), that it's over.

P.

Last edited:
And whose fault is that?

Regardless of whether Harvest could have done a better job promoting the album, as some have suggested, at least they promoted it at all. If Morrissey wanted his singles and album to perform well commercially, then he should have worked with the label to promote the album. A few scattered updates on TTY that only fans will see doesn't cut it. I just don't understand this persecution narrative some fans subscribe to (often perpetuated by Morrissey himself), wherein Morrissey is always done in by the supposed ineffectuality of everyone around him.

The fact of the matter is that Morrissey did the bare minimum to promote the album in a significant, visible way and now he is reaping what was sown. Whether the lack of promotion on his end was due to illness, obstinancy, or something else entirely is immaterial; it takes two to tango, and ultimately Morrissey shares the responsibility for any perceived shortcomings in the album's promotional campaign and chart performance.

If the songs were any cop, they would have sold themselves.

A friend who knows Chrissie Hynde mentioned to me yesterday that word was Moz has been battling with a MAJOR recurrence of clinical depression. Which if true, explains recent unavailability and behaviour.

A friend who knows Chrissie Hynde mentioned to me yesterday that word was Moz has been battling with a MAJOR recurrence of clinical depression. Which if true, explains recent unavailability and behaviour.

Well that would be very sad, and I wish him a speedy recovery. I know what that is like. Drugs help but ultimately it's time, family and friends that brings you back to where you want to be.

P.

If it's true, that's very sad indeed. I hope he gets through it speedily.

Has Morrissey officially said anything about having clinical depression in the past? I'm not up on his interviews or comments.

Years of Refusal strikes me as a work riddled with attempts to fight the black clouds of depression - such a dark (and therefore perversely satisfying) album.

If it's true, that's very sad indeed. I hope he gets through it speedily.

Has Morrissey officially said anything about having clinical depression in the past? I'm not up on his interviews or comments.

Years of Refusal strikes me as a work riddled with attempts to fight the black clouds of depression - such a dark (and therefore perversely satisfying) album.

He has. In The Importance Of...he talks about being on medication for a lot of his time in The Smiths.

P.

Surely you agree that it was Harvest's idea to release the 3 singles in 3 consecutive weeks. Then whose fault is it when this campaign fails?
They didn't hold a gun to his head and force him to comply with this promotional strategy. Again, Morrissey shoulders some of the responsibility.

I was hoping this wasn't the case. Alas. This should have been a triumphant period for him. I hope he's hanging in there and has a good network of support.

Lots of speculation here.

My bottom line is this:

1) I think WPIONYB is great. I have nothing to gain or lose by thinking so, no hidden agenda. I just think it's an awesome album and I'm thankful to have 18 new Moz songs to listen to this summer, especially at this point in my life.

2) I hope he's doing well.

My bottom line is this:

1) I think WPIONYB is great. I have nothing to gain or lose by thinking so, no hidden agenda. I just think it's an awesome album and I'm thankful to have 18 new Moz songs to listen to this summer, especially at this point in my life.

+1

This really is the bottom line. All the bile and persistent pettiness from the haters clearly driven by jealousy (see how they attack Morrissey more than they attack the album) is just sad, really. The album is one of his best and I too hope he's doing okay. Thanks, Moz. xxx

My bottom line is this:

Well said. It is a great album (certainly in the better half of his albums) and therefore it is all the more unfortunate that commercially it didn't live up to its potential.

I know I've said it before, but I'll state it again here. A lot of great things, be it movies, tv shows, music...whatever, are not always appreciated for what they are until much later. I truly believe WPINOYB will be one of those cases. In the meantime, all we can do as fans is prepare our "I told you so's" I guess.

Also, clinical depression is no joke. If that's the case, I truly feel our boy.

Well said. It is a great album (certainly in the better half of his albums) and therefore it is all the more unfortunate that commercially it didn't live up to its potential.

It's been out two weeks, Houdini, not two years. It's done as well as anyone could expect to date given exposure for the single (Istanbul).
If an edited Staircase is released it will revive the album - mark my words.
Also, it stands a good chance for end-of-year awards (in the UK at least) which will do wonders for sales.

I know I've said it before, but I'll state it again here. A lot of great things, be it movies, tv shows, music...whatever, are not always appreciated for what they are until much later. I truly believe WPINOYB will be one of those cases. In the meantime, all we can do as fans is prepare our "I told you so's" I guess.

Also, clinical depression is no joke. If that's the case, I truly feel our boy.

Ahah, hence the inclusion on ROTT of "In The Future When World Peace Is Worth Listening To"

Yes, 'word' was also that Morrissey left the Bowie tour in 1994 because of 'depression'. Some things never change.

My bottom line is this:

And there's the voice of reason. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom