What, if anything, would you change about the new album?

S

Skylarker

I actually think it's pretty perfect. I've changed some of the songs here and there around but I honestly don't really have any serious complaints.

But here is the place for you to correlate any personal whims or gripes you have with it..i.e. running order, trading of b-sides for album tracks, changes you'd make to certain songs, etc.

Some members have posted fan-edits they've done and the re-sequencing of songs has been mentioned elsewhere; basically I just want a cohesive thread where fantasy edits of the album are discussed and grouped.

Re: What, if anything, Would youchange about the new album?

Sorry for the sloppy subject header typos; typing fast. If any mod would be willing to fix it, gracias.

The album title - it's named after the song with the most foolish lyrics, really drawing attention to them.
Bit embarrassing, really. Earth is the Loneliest Planet would've been better (as would many more).

I would have had "Drag the river" & "Art Hounds" on the main album in place of a few weaker tracks and done away with the deluxe and just have a really strong standard 12 track. Even 10 or 11 strong tracks would have done, (like Arsenal & Vauxhall). There's too much going on for my liking.

The cover. I respect Morrissey enough as an artist to not want to change what he created, but I cannot believe that he approved that final mess of a sleeve design.

A couple things I would change if I had the patience to attempt it...

World Peace Is None Of Your Business - speed up slightly.

Istanbul - Echo "oh, what have I done" twice in the background at a lower volume during the instrumental section following that line. Add another chorus of "In Istanbul, give him back to me, Oh Istanbul give me back my brown-eyed son" after "identify the kid is mine" line then proceed with normal ending.

Earth Is The Loneliest Planet - Remove Kristeen Young.

The Bullfighter Dies - Speed up slightly. Turn up lead guitar more in the mix and make the accordion less prominent.

Kick The Bride Down The Aisle - Remove Kristeen Young.

Mountjoy - After every two verses have the chorus of "You see we all lose, we all lose".

I would've wished he'd tour on it....... :)

As I said in the worst track thread, include Chiccarelli's original "rock" cut of Bullfighter and replace Kick the Bride with Art-hounds and the album would be near perfection. I like the idea of Earth Is The Loneliest Planet being the title track, though it is a little Moz cliché.

I was hoping they'd have something up their sleeve regards a sleeve change. I've grown tired of this one, was revealed day the first single came out, would have been better to use that artwork on cd, 7" & 12" singles of WPINOYB and come up with something fresher for the album.

The sleeve is a shame, it could've been so much better. People were having a go at him for using old photographs of himself, I wonder if he did this to have a go back in a very strange way.

As for the songs, all I would change is the first 1:35 of I'm Not A Man. At a push maybe Art-Hounds instead of Earth Is The Loneliest Planet but better still just add it to the album proper.

Album title: "World of Morrissey is none of your business". Sounds pretty apt to me. (in a good way of course)

Take off "Smiler w/ Knife" and "Mountjoy" and replace with Scandinavia and another song (TBD).

i would re sequence it a bit for balance and to make it more digestible but really he almost seems like thats exactly what he doesnt want. to me it kinda feels like maladjusted which before the re sequencing was very difficult for me to get into and listen to as an album without jumping all over the place. the re sequencing made it much more digestible and helped set the right tone mental state for the albums digestion. i mean is it any surprise that the unexpected silence on track three comes right after a song featuring deliberate non conventioinalists as characters. i almost see that silence as more attached to neal cassidy than i do to im not a man but if he put it at the end of neal we would be able to skip it which i think is exactly what he didnt want us to be able to do. i think he wanted us to have to sit through that frustrating bewildering moment of silence. no pop star wants to deliberately break the spell of there own record on the listener unless its for a point. that said i think i might prefer a more rock guitar version of bull fighter even though i really like the version present on album as well (its for sure not my least fav track). thats all

I would have had "Drag the river" & "Art Hounds" on the main album in place of a few weaker tracks and done away with the deluxe and just have a really strong standard 12 track. Even 10 or 11 strong tracks would have done, (like Arsenal & Vauxhall). There's too much going on for my liking.

Yeah.

I think the running order I'm most happy with is

World Peace Is None Of Your Business
Istanbul
Neal Cassady Drops Dead
Drag The River
Staircase At The University
Kick The Bride Down The Aisle
The Bullfighter Dies
Kiss Me a Lot
Mountjoy
I'm Not a Man
Oboe Concerto
Art-Hounds

I think Earth sounds too corny and contrived. Not a horrible track, just clumsy and forced lyrically and WAY too Spanishy. When the Spanishy stuff accents things on other songs, and is used in moderation, it's kind of different and nice but on that song it is over the top.

Smiler is gorgeous but it's too pretty; it slows down the record.

I think the other b-sides are great but I think they should remain b-sides.

Remove Kristeen Young.

That's the tour manager's job.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove Kristeen Young

I don't know anything about Kristeen Young - I don't really follow Morrissey on tour or anything - but her voice on some of the songs on this album really adds something. Makes some bits very exciting - when she's singing it sounds unhinged in a great way.

I don't know anything about Kristeen Young - I don't really follow Morrissey on tour or anything - but her voice on some of the songs on this album really adds something. Makes some bits very exciting - when she's singing it sounds unhinged in a great way.

Only, she did the exact same wailing on "Sweetie-Pie" and "That's How People Grow Up" already...her work on this album is just redundant.

I like the idea of making Earth is the Loneliest Planet the title. To whit, I'd make it track one. Make World Peace a b-side.
Then I'd make Neal Cassady a b-side.
Add Drag the River and Forgive Someone in the first half.
Lop off the first 90 seconds of I'm Not A Man.
Add Art Hounds to the end.

Or, as far as the deluxe tracks go, lop off One of Our Own and call the resulting fifteen track album the only version.

But ultimately once the first 90 seconds of INAM is over, I'm quite content with the rest as is.

I removed the intro to "I'm Not A Man," removed "Staircase At the University" completely, and moved "Oboe Concerto" to after the deluxe edition tracks.

It occurred to me earlier today just how perfect the standard album would've been if "Oboe Concerto" had been nixed and "Mountjoy" was the closing track. Also, if it had an actual cello rather than a synthesized cello.

"I'm not a man" was on absolute radio tonight, i never heard it but seen it on their playlist. I've been curious to what the radio edit would sound like coz even with the first part lopped off, it still goes beyond six minutes. I'd also shorten a few outro's on a couple of songs, just when you think they've finished, they go on that 30-40 seconds too much, becomes a drag, There's a lot of wasted minutes on the whole.

Back
Top Bottom