What, if anything, would you change about the new album?

Re: What, if anything, Would youchange about the new album?

Oh, that's easy: The f***ing flamenco guitar.

I've been listening to the LP all week while typing away at work and I cringe pretty hard every time the new guy busts out a Spanish guitar solo. I'd prefer Jesse's clumsy solos over Flamenco Joe any day.

Indeed, agreed - proceed to smoke weed..

But seriously - the whole Spanish vibe is killing it for me.
Thankfully my favorite tracks don't have it.

I've been listening to the LP all week while typing away at work and I cringe pretty hard every time the new guy busts out a Spanish guitar solo. I'd prefer Jesse's clumsy solos over Flamenco Joe any day.

I'm not sure why there's so much Spanish influence. I do give him credit for trying new styles, and not creating the same old rock songs as before

I would have put Art-hounds on the album.

There is Spanish influence because he is catering to his huge Spanish fan-base. Just a way to sell more records

I love all of the Flamenco-style guitar, and I'm a New York Scandinavian-Jew. It's what makes the album feel full and new and distinct. There's an avant garde-ishness to the way it's used, too; it's very exciting.

But I guess this is a thread where you're only supposed to talk about what you don't like, so I'll be quiet now.

I love all of the Flamenco-style guitar, and I'm a New York Scandinavian-Jew. It's what makes the album feel full and new and distinct. There's an avant garde-ishness to the way it's used, too; it's very exciting.

But I guess this is a thread where you're only supposed to talk about what you don't like, so I'll be quiet now.

The only flamenco part that bothered me is the end of Staircase but it's growing on me and this is coming from an Australian-Maori-English-Scottish-Irish-Scandinavian-Jew :)

Last edited:

I don’t agree with you, but Flamenco Joe made me LOL, so for that you get a thumbs up.

Remove Kristeen.

This is what I posted a week or so ago re. 'changes to the album':

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/131527-Leak-World-Peace-Is-None-Of-Your-Business-here?p=1986851812#post1986851812

And this is why I made these changes...

Neal Cassady, the first casualty, just doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the album, found myself skipping it far too many times, so I removed it.

I'm Not a Man is one of my favourite tracks in the album, along with Mountjoy and Art-hounds, however the intro drags and is rather pointless, the same can be said of the outro, so I decided to remove them both. This turns a very good song into an excellent one, as I've said, one of the best on WPINOYB.

The Spanish guitars at the end of Staircase add nothing to the track, they seem to be there for the sake of it, so they had to go.
Generally speaking, the Latin/European sound was over-used in this album in my opinion, this is why Earth had to go too, it was either that one or Bullfighter to remain, and Bullfighter wins hands down. A very catchy pop song.

Smiler does nothing for me, the lyrics are intricate and Morrissey's singing is top notch, however I find the music rather dull, as a song it doesn't work for me at all. A fine poem perhaps, but not a great song...so out came the axe.

Finally, the intro to Art-hounds is redundant and does not compliment the rest of the song, it appears to be bolted on to the main track, almost as an afterthought, it doesn't improve it one bit, so off it went.

I was rather disappointed with the deluxe version of the album after the first week of listening, and having made these changes, I am much happier with it now.
This now sounds like a Morrissey album to me.
I expect many to disagree, but remember this is just a matter of opinion, there is no 'right' or 'wrong'.

The "singles" came out far too early and the sleeve was revealed ages before its release date....and no physical singles on top of everything. What happened to you Steven?
Probably the record company is in charge and not him.....

Cheers Moz

This is what I posted a week or so ago re. 'changes to the album':

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/131527-Leak-World-Peace-Is-None-Of-Your-Business-here?p=1986851812#post1986851812

And this is why I made these changes...

Neal Cassady, the first casualty, just doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the album, found myself skipping it far too many times, so I removed it.

I'm Not a Man is one of my favourite tracks in the album, along with Mountjoy and Art-hounds, however the intro drags and is rather pointless, the same can be said of the outro, so I decided to remove them both. This turns a very good song into an excellent one, as I've said, one of the best on WPINOYB.

The Spanish guitars at the end of Staircase add nothing to the track, they seem to be there for the sake of it, so they had to go.
Generally speaking, the Latin/European sound was over-used in this album in my opinion, this is why Earth had to go too, it was either that one or Bullfighter to remain, and Bullfighter wins hands down. A very catchy pop song.

Smiler does nothing for me, the lyrics are intricate and Morrissey's singing is top notch, however I find the music rather dull, as a song it doesn't work for me at all. A fine poem perhaps, but not a great song...so out came the axe.

Finally, the intro to Art-hounds is redundant and does not compliment the rest of the song, it appears to be bolted on to the main track, almost as an afterthought, it doesn't improve it one bit, so off it went.

I was rather disappointed with the deluxe version of the album after the first week of listening, and having made these changes, I am much happier with it now.
This now sounds like a Morrissey album to me.
I expect many to disagree, but remember this is just a matter of opinion, there is no 'right' or 'wrong'.

Neal Cassidy is edging up to my favorite in a fast way.

Tiny niggle, Moz seems to be getting into the habit of repetition. lines of lyrics are being repeated, all the time. less repetition of lines.

Tiny niggle, Moz seems to be getting into the habit of repetition. lines of lyrics are being repeated, all the time. less repetition of lines.

I agree. I agree. I agree.

A bit off-topic but do we know who the female voice is in the intro and outro of 'One of our own' It doesn't sound like Kristeen. And I'm sure she already said, before the albums release that she's only on 2 songs. 'Earth' and 'Bride'

Agreed. The image is not convincing. Is he holding a cigar, a dog treat (made of meat product?!), Mont Blanc?

I'd probably change the song order and take out a couple of album tracks and replace them with bonus tracks. I've made a couple of alternative playlists on my iPod but I can't decide with one I like best.

As for the songs themselves. I'd only chance 2 things. On 'Kick the bride down the aisle' I'd add a 3rd chorus after the "your that stretch of the beach" part. Firstly because it's such a great chorus and secondly because without it I just feel the instrumental outro goes on for a bit too long.

Also like most people I'd cut down the intro on I'm not a man but not the whole intro because we already have a song on the album, 'Smiler with knife' where Moz's vocal comes in straight away. I'd maybe cut it down to 20-30 seconds.

Get rid of:

I Am Not a Man
Bullfighter

These two should be relegated to B Side status. The lyrics are cringe worthy.

Back
Top Bottom