Bits of WPINOYB that remind you of other songs

esskay

Any bits of the new record remind you of other records? Can be Morrissey or other artists...

For example:

1. The instrumental bit of Smiler With Knife between 1:21 and 1:45 really makes me think of Don't Cry by Guns N' Roses.

2. The chorus of Kick the Bridge Down the Aisle sounds like the "I don't want to be judged any more" bit of Harsh Truth of the Camera Eye AS WELL AS Johnny Marr's outro to Please Please Let Me Get What I Want.

List more!

"One of Our Own" has a certain mid-'90s-era And Also The Trees-ishness to it that I really love. I can't even pinpoint one particular AATT song it sounds like, but I dig it. I never thought I'd be comparing a Morrissey song to AATT!

The beginning of "Scandinavia" makes me think of Twin Peaks/David Lynch movies/Angelo Badalamenti every time it starts.

My husband commented that "Julie in the Weeds" sounds like John Mellencamp's "Cherry Bomb," which is grounds for potential divorce.

Julie In The Weeds reminds me of Sitting In The Park by Georgie Fame (and others)

The end of "Smiler With Knife" reminds me of "The Man Who Sold The World" which I think someone already pointed out.

The beginning of "Staircase At The University" briefly reminds me of "You're The One For Me Fatty" which again, I think has already been pointed out but last night when we were watching "25: Live" and "Fatty" started my wife looked at me like "Wait...he did Staircase back then?" but then quickly realized that wasn't the case.

The beginning of WPINOYB sounds like Nancy Sinatra's "These Boots are Made for Walking." The beginning jingly part.

When he says 'I'm not a man' it reminds me of '...because they are my feelings' from The Public Image so much.

The only thing that immediately caught my attention was the chorus of 'Kick The Bride Down The Aisle'... It did sound similar to the 'Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want' outro.

Additionally, the music 'Neal Cassady Drops Dead' reminds me of something St. Vincent would do... I can't think of an example though...

Last edited:
The Bullfighter Dies starts to reminds me of I Can Have Both, just faster.

The guitar solo about 2/3 of the way through World Peace is None of Your Business sounds similar to how Jesse would solo on 2011-2013 live versions of Ouija Board.

"World Peace" reminds me of Sparks. Particularly "Never Turn Your Back on Mother Earth". "Smiler" has a Scott Walker flavor.

Just had a brilliant late night listen, and the wind instrument part (Boz's clarinet?) toward the end of 'Staircase...' reminds me of Marianne Faithful's 'Come and Stay With Me' which, incidentally, is one of Moz's favourites I think?
For anyone who hasn't heard it, it's only two-minutes fifteen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qmq_KDKu8Y

The intro to Mountjoy reminds me of the intro to Wonderwall by Oasis (groan).

I'm Not A Man just reminds me of Kill Uncle as a whole.

The beginning of One Of Our Own, particularly the wailing, reminds me of the start of That's How People Grow Up, to the extent that last night I had it on and when the vocal came in I went 'I was wasting my time... oh hang on'!

The "Round, round. The rhythm goes round" part in Oboe Concerto reminds me a bit of the "you kick them when they fall down" part in That Joke isn't funny anymore.

Back
Top Bottom