Killjoy, spoilers, rampant speculation, beware, use caution. Which track on the album is weakest?

Killjoy, spoilers, rampant speculation, beware, use caution. Which track on the album is weakest?

• Total voters
Re: Killjoy, spoilers, rampant speculation, beware, use caution. Which track on the album is weakes

'Earth Is The Loneliest Planet' by far...it is so far away in quality from everything else that was recorded, you wonder how it ever made it beyond the demo stage.

Re: Killjoy, spoilers, rampant speculation, beware, use caution. Which track on the album is weakes

'Earth Is The Loneliest Planet' by far...it is so far away in quality from everything else that was recorded, you wonder how it ever made it beyond the demo stage.

The music's kind grown on me, but not really. The words are awful. Definitely the poorest track...well really the only one even remotely worthy of being deemed poor.

"Smiler with Knife" while superior IMHO, reminds me thematically of "The Father Who Must Be Killed." I realize the lyrics are very different. That song, nearly ruined ROTT for me. What is going on in "Smiler with Knife?" What do you think that song is about?

I was torn between earth and world peace, but world peace has that oh oohhhhh yoooouuuu fooool part I really like so yah I vote for earth is the loneliest planet

sorry morrissey

Oh god, the choice....

Ultimately, given it names and leads the album, 'World Peace.. ' has to be the one. Morrissey's grasp of the machinations of global economic and political powerplay must have Thomas Pinketty shitting himself.

oh, look who it is

give aunt mabel a kiss from us

oh, look who it is

give aunt mabel a kiss from us

Good idea! Why not include the most awesome bonus tracks too?

'Art Hounds' has to be a prime contender here - a song that wields its satirical scalpel with the same nuanced comedic grip as Mrs Brown's Boys D'Movie.

That's interesting because I really like the lyrics, but don't much care for the song. It's not the music, more the delivery for me. I adore the spoken word version for the promo video. I would love to hear an enterprising fan take some music and layer it with the spoken word audio ala Jim Morrison and An American Prayer. I love Mozzer'rich baritone delivery.
The music's kind grown on me, but not really. The words are awful. Definitely the poorest track...well really the only one even remotely worthy of being deemed poor.

what is that clunker AlmondJoy about?

I know most people love Mountjoy, but it gets my vote. I love the lyrics, but feel they were wasted on a really dull backing track. World Peace and Earth would come next, but it's the opposite for them, I really enjoy the music, but the lyrics are dire.

I have to say Bullfighter. Though I did prefer the more muscular live version, I think.

I know most people love Mountjoy, but it gets my vote. I love the lyrics, but feel they were wasted on a really dull backing track.

I agree about the dull backing track.

"Smiler with Knife" while superior IMHO, reminds me thematically of "The Father Who Must Be Killed." I realize the lyrics are very different. That song, nearly ruined ROTT for me. What is going on in "Smiler with Knife?" What do you think that song is about?

You'll enjoy this thread.

I like Earth Is The Loneliest Planet, the lyrics may be typical Moz but its what he does best and its one of the catchiest songs on the album.

As for the weakest track its a tie between The Bullfighter Dies and Kick the Bride, but with Bullfighter its more the production thats the problem than the song itself whereas Bride is just a bad song (though I like the "Stretch of the beach" line). Include Chiccarelli's original "rock" cut of Bullfighter and replace Bride with Art-hounds and the album would be near perfection.

Thanks for making these various polls, btw. I quite enjoy them.

Last edited:

The Bullfighter Dies. It's on permanent skip.

Last edited:

i went for staircase. i like the subject matter but the music kinda bores me especially the drums which are very cool in other spots and were awesome when i saw them live. it has its moments but not my fav. sorry to see earth is so low. lyrics sound fine to me even if its morrissey saying things hes said before but that guitar is outta the park.

I'm not sure about 'Smiler with Knife'. Yes, it's nice and moody in the context of the album - but it's also somewhat repetitive and slightly dull, isn't it?

I just really hate Smiler With Knife. I hate Morrissey's vocal, I hate the music that plays whilst he's singing, I hate the lyrics, and I know it sounds strange but I hate the split second of silence between each verse, and I hate the way that his vocal comes back in and I hate the way the music starts up again. But I do quite like the music that plays when he's not singing, and the coda. So I think, Smiler With Knife gets my vote. The next two weakest songs for me are Earth and Bullfighter, but I don't hate anything about those songs, I simply dislike them. Kiss Me A Lot doesn't do much for me either. As someone said on another thread, it sounds like something they'd dance to on Strictly Come Dancing. Bleurgh. And I dislike the lyrics. Morrissey might like kissing, but the idea of him singing about kissing someone a lot isn't what attracted me to him. What attracted me to him is that he would sing about not having anyone to kiss a lot.

Heh, Smiler With Knife blew my mind with its greatness the first time I heard it. Possibly my favorite song on the entire album, and that's saying a lot. But the oddness that gives it charm will turn others off...

But what I DO NOT understand is the unbridled contempt for Earth is the Loneliest Planet. DO NOT.

Since the first garbled Youtube of it in concert I saw, the hooks grabbed me. I could sing it instantly, and loved it. When the studio version hit Spotify, after WP and Istanbul, I said to myself, NOW WE ARE TALKING. I played the shit out of it.

Tons of hooks, makes me want to jump up and dance, snaking vocal melodies wrapping me up like a boa constrictor, and a classic downer title to go with the ecstatic music, as per classic Moz. Not to mention the f'ing brilliant evolution of Morrissey as artist, embracing Spanish guitars and making it sound like Morrissey. Oh, an alternative universe where Esteban Mauricio teamed up with Juan Moro would be so neat to peek into...

DO NOT get it, and won't ever get it. Earth Is The Loneliest Planet is instant classic Moz for me, and always will be.

agreed. loved it instantly and also dont get what people hate about it.

Back
Top Bottom