Asperger's?

A

Anonymous

I know there's been thread about this before. However, I have a new idea about it.

First, of all I think people stereotype men with asperger's as science guys with no empathy who like trains. Some are like that but not everyone shares the same list of traits or expresses them the same way. (So many doctors even stereotype and are not informed with the progression of diagnosing this in adults - who had a lifetime learning coping skills on their own and don't lack the empathy.) There are men and women with asperger's who have plenty of empathy and emotion. Also, I hope this isn't an offensive thread because some of the best people had asperger's - like Glenn Gould.

Anyway, my new idea with this is that perhaps this is why he seems not to be able to notice people's intentions or if they're "posers" (copying what he says/likes). I don't even want to mention the name of one example of this because I think it will annoy people to bring it up again.

(I think it's unfair to analyze him like this, but I also think since he's a public figure it's going to happen anyway.)

Funny this should pop up, I was going to mention in the latest TTY thread how his obsession with chart placings almost adds credence to this theory.

I have often thought this.
He might have it at a milder degree than most, however.
I, too, have been suspected to have Asperger's, which is a coincidence as I can relate to Morrissey greatly.

Symptoms include social discomfort, misunderstanding of 'social cues', narrow interests, obsessions/fixations.

Also, it is assumed, that those with Asperger's exhibit characteristics such as a limited facial expressions and a monotonous speaking voices.

Individuals with Asperger's are often accused of being selfish, arrogant, narrow-minded and offensive. As a result, it is difficult to maintain relationships.

That being said, I am slightly sceptical about the diagnostic criteria for Aspergers, as it often changes.

Funny this should pop up, I was going to mention in the latest TTY thread how his obsession with chart placings almost adds credence to this theory.

It does, doesn't it?
An interesting observation.

Last edited:
The 1984 Earsay interview is a good indication that he may have a milder form that he's been able to handle as he's gotten older.

Would explain a lot.

Also, it is assumed, that those with Asperger's exhibit characteristics such as a limited facial expressions and a monotonous speaking voices.

Although, having facial expressions and not speaking in a monotonous voice doesn't rule it out. Some people with mild asperger's learn to mimic and many won't understand that they're mimicking. It becomes second nature and they don't understand that it came more naturally to others.

The 1984 Earsay interview is a good indication that he may have a milder form that he's been able to handle as he's gotten older.

Would explain a lot.

That interview immediately sprung to mind when I stumbled upon this thread.

Although, having facial expressions and not speaking in a monotonous voice doesn't rule it out. Some people with mild asperger's learn to mimic and many won't understand that they're mimicking. It becomes second nature and they don't understand that it came more naturally to others.

Absolutely.

I've heard this theory before, but I don't really buy it. Antisocial behavior and an obsessive personality aren't necessarily indicators of Asperger's Syndrome, and some of the other symptoms mentioned (specifically limited facial expression) he doesn't exhibit at all.

Interestingly, symptoms of AS have some overlap with several Cluster A and B personality disorders. Morrissey's documented chronic depression, aloof behavior, paranoia, persecutory delusions, and superstition, for example, are all tell-tale signs of personality disorders that fall within these two classifications. If he is indeed "not right in the head," as he claims in I Like You, I think it's more likely something along these lines than a neurological disorder like AS.

I've heard this theory before, but I don't really buy it. Antisocial behavior and an obsessive personality aren't necessarily indicators of Asperger's Syndrome,

I agree we will never know and are only speculating. However, I don't think he exhibits any antisocial behavior, and, yes, I never heard of antisocial behavior being part of asperger's.

I've heard this theory before, but I don't really buy it. Antisocial behavior and an obsessive personality aren't necessarily indicators of Asperger's Syndrome, and some of the other symptoms mentioned (specifically limited facial expression) he doesn't exhibit at all.

Interestingly, symptoms of AS have some overlap with several Cluster A and B personality disorders. Morrissey's documented chronic depression, aloof behavior, paranoia, persecutory delusions, and superstition, for example, are all tell-tale signs of personality disorders that fall within these two classifications. If he is indeed "not right in the head," as he claims in I Like You, I think it's more likely something along these lines than a neurological disorder like AS.

Also, I don't think he has any kind of personality disorder. I don't think asperger's is considered a personality disorder.

I, personally, draw the line at personality disorders when it comes to diagnoses. Co-morbidity, as you have mentioned, is often the the conundrum that psychologists/mental health professionals face.

However I must highlight the difference betwteen supposed 'personality disorders' and Asperger's.

Personality disorders are a mental health issue, whereas Asperger's is a developmental disorder. Therefore the two can exist at the same time, theoretically. Although I believe that the former is bogus.

P.S. I must clarify, that I am in no way trying to diagnose Morrissey with anything.

P.S. I must clarify, that I am in no way trying to diagnose Morrissey with anything.

I started the thread and didn't mean for it to turn negative. I actually think if he had asperger's it would be even more attractive. Of course, we don't know, and I do realize I'm only forming an image of attractiveness based upon bits of his public persona.

I started the thread and didn't mean for it to turn negative. I actually think if he had asperger's it would be even more attractive. Of course, we don't know, and I do realize I'm only forming an image of attractiveness based upon bits of his public persona.

Sorry, I didn't intend for it to be a negative comment.
I hope my post didn't offend you. :(
I simply ended my post with that statement because I was afraid of coming across as a 'know it all', so to speak.

I understand your intentions, and quite enjoy your non-assumptive stance. :)

I do believe that our Morrissey exhibits traits of ASD. However it is suggested that everyone has traits of autism - A diagnosis is only made if those traits interfere with the ability to get on with life. Which may or may not be true for Morrissey.

P.S. Interesting thread. I'm going to shut-up now.

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't intend for it to be a negative comment.
I hope my post didn't offend you. :(
I simply ended my post with that statement because I was afraid of coming across as a 'know it all', so to speak.

I understand your intentions, and quite enjoy your non-assumptive stance. :)

I do believe that our Morrissey exhibits traits of ASD. However it is suggested that everyone has traits of autism - A diagnosis is only made if those traits interfere with the ability to get on with life. Which may or may not be true for Morrissey.

P.S. Interesting thread.

I didn't think your post was negative. I wasn't sure if you thought the thread had turned negative. My opinion is he has a very mild form, but I'm just saying I know my opinion is just my own speculation. Also, another trait I just thought about is how he is a little formal in interviews, interactions - even performances, which I think could be another subtle sign.

I wouldn't rule something like this out, he has some pretty consistent facial twitches too which is Aspy territory, but the one kid I do know who certifiably has it is lightyears more bizarre than Morrissey. Moz might have a twilight version of it, not quite light, not quite dark but both. Having said that Aspy people aren't very loquacious and that recent interview where he waxed on and on about politics like a 50s gay socialite was not along the lines of someone with Asberger's. Maybe being drunk is the Aspy kryptonite? I dunno, it doesn't really matter what box is ticked on his DSM chart, next people will be saying that his lyric style of making lists on WPINOYB is indicative of Asperber Release Behavior or some f***ing thing. So long as he's comfortable that's all I care.

recent interview where he waxed on and on about politics like a 50s gay socialite was not along the lines of someone with Asberger's.

Actually, going on and on about a topic of interest is a sign of asperger's. I'm not saying that's why he did that though. IDK.

I wouldn't rule something like this out, he has some pretty consistent facial twitches too which is Aspy territory, but the one kid I do know who certifiably has it is lightyears more bizarre than Morrissey. Moz might have a twilight version of it, not quite light, not quite dark but both. Having said that Aspy people aren't very loquacious and that recent interview where he waxed on and on about politics like a 50s gay socialite was not along the lines of someone with Asberger's. Maybe being drunk is the Aspy kryptonite? I dunno, it doesn't really matter what box is ticked on his DSM chart, next people will be saying that his lyric style of making lists on WPINOYB is indicative of Asperber Release Behavior or some f***ing thing. So long as he's comfortable that's all I care.

I haven't noticed any facial twitches. Can you post a video?

I haven't noticed any facial twitches. Can you post a video?

Ummmm, it's just from years of following him on the frink and studying his face after shows with good quality video. He squints then pulls his mouth to the side in that order...there's another one...I'll see if I can dig some up.

I wouldn't rule something like this out, he has some pretty consistent facial twitches too which is Aspy territory.

No offense, but I think you're thinking of tourette's. I've never heard of twitches being connected with asperger's, and I think you're referring to his facial expressions.

I didn't think your post was negative. I wasn't sure if you thought the thread had turned negative. My opinion is he has a very mild form, but I'm just saying I know my opinion is just my own speculation. Also, another trait I just thought about is how he is a little formal in interviews, interactions - even performances, which I think could be another subtle sign.

Oh, I see. Sorry.

I'm pretty sure almost everything in the DSM-V could help explain some of his behaviours.
Unfortunately, people love labels to explain things.
After reading Autobiography, I think it is equally plausible that he was a sexually confused teenager in a time where it was difficult to be one. Who grew up to become more eccentric as the result of an active mind.
Quirky, oddball, stubborn, vain, articulate, morose, depressed et al can all be explained by social setting conditions as much as looking for organic brain dysfunction and the ilk. I still see him as a Kenny Williams figure - a great entertainer wrestling with inner torments that we are never to know about (let alone diagnose).
Just my two cents,
Regards,
FWD

Back
Top Bottom