Asperger's?

No offense, but I think you're thinking of tourette's. I've never heard of twitches being connected with asperger's, and I think you're referring to his facial expressions.

You might be right, but he does consistently fidget and make ordered face gestures, not twitches...I'll try to find the pattern tomorrow afternoon, I have a busy morning. The Aspy kid I know has gestural tics that are patterned. That's all I'm saying to add to the discussion.

I've heard this theory before, but I don't really buy it. Antisocial behavior and an obsessive personality aren't necessarily indicators of Asperger's Syndrome, and some of the other symptoms mentioned (specifically limited facial expression) he doesn't exhibit at all.

Interestingly, symptoms of AS have some overlap with several Cluster A and B personality disorders. Morrissey's documented chronic depression, aloof behavior, paranoia, persecutory delusions, and superstition, for example, are all tell-tale signs of personality disorders that fall within these two classifications. If he is indeed "not right in the head," as he claims in I Like You, I think it's more likely something along these lines than a neurological disorder like AS.

My boy has aspergers and he's the most superstitious person I know. It's hilarious at times, like Robert De Niro in Silver Linings Playbook when he's watching American Football, my lad's the same with football. Appearing aloof and depression are also linked to aspergers as are the other things you mention. I've thought for a while that if he isn't at the mild end of the spectrum he has an uncanny amount of traits.

I wouldn't rule something like this out, he has some pretty consistent facial twitches too which is Aspy territory, .

Sorry. I looked up twitches/asperger's and now I know exactly what you mean, and I know the expressions to which you are referring.

as a person with autism, aspergers is no longer a definition in the dsm, i could totally envision him as a person who has to deal with it. it can for sure foster a contempt for other people ill say that. everybody lies with no body minding is for sure a confusing concept to a sufferer of autism.

p.s please do not reccommend the curious incident of the dog that barked in the nighttime. yes ive heard about it.

as a person with autism, aspergers is no longer a definition in the dsm, i could totally envision him as a person who has to deal with it. it can for sure foster a contempt for other people ill say that. everybody lies with no body minding is for sure a confusing concept to a sufferer of autism.

Yes, he was so honest in his early interviews and gave away so much personal info. It seems like he learned not to do that as he got older. I think that's another clue.

Speculating about a celebrity's mental health based on the snippits you know of their public persona is pretty pointless. It was only a few months ago everyone was labeling him as an alcoholic. This is like going to webmd because you have a headache and deciding on a diagnosis that suits you.

Speculating about a celebrity's mental health based on the snippits you know of their public persona is pretty pointless. It was only a few months ago everyone was labeling him as an alcoholic. This is like going to webmd because you have a headache and deciding on a diagnosis that suits you.

I just want to clarify that asperger's isn't a mental health problem. It's just a different way of viewing the world. A lot of people with asperger's are gifted in some way too.

true but i think the point is not to come to a real conclusion but rather just to think about it in relation to how you thought of him before. sometimes idle speculation is the point between fans. especially fans of pop stars and artists. i mean i dont mind when people talk about syd barret and how he and his mental state influenced the music of pink floyd. i dont find the conversation itself and the speculation to be hurtful when done respectfully. a big clue as to why i think it possibly true is when he talked about early lyrical writing, when he said he couldnt help but see interactions between two people as objectively dramatic, all interactions.

as to the being overly honest, i think this true as well.

Morrissey'a preoccupations and behavior are typical of an English man of his age and class. There are boat loads of them, albeit without his talent. Go to any record fair in England and you will see them bickering, insulting one another, then going for a drink. You see similar narrow interests at air shows, car shows, toy soldier conventions, train spotter meets, football programme collectors boot sales, etc. They're a load of old anoraks, essentially the same at 55 as they were at 15. They can't possibly all have Aspergers. They're just men.

I just want to clarify that asperger's isn't a mental health problem. It's just a different way of viewing the world. A lot of people with asperger's are gifted in some way too.

Well, until recently it was before it's reclassification. But that's splitting hairs. People with mental health issues are very capable of being gifted in all sorts of ways. It's like you're saying people who do suffer from mental health issues can't be gifted like people with asperger's can. Feels like you're just using the cotton wool "differently abled" approach. Mental health can be an extremely broad term and isn't always associated with things like schizophrenia and the like.

Last edited:
There also appears to be a correlation between autism spectrum disorders and gastrointestinal problems, sez Google. He's definitely got lots of GI problems. A lot of Aspies think he's one of them, not that that's conclusive. It would explain a lot, however.

There also appears to be a correlation between autism spectrum disorders and gastrointestinal problems, sez Google. He's definitely got lots of GI problems. A lot of Aspies think he's one of them, not that that's conclusive. It would explain a lot, however.

Morrissey's personal doctor has arrived. Good to know you know he has a lot of these.

Morrissey-solo.com, where we discuss Morrissey's gastrointestinal issues.

There is on more thing that makes me think it's possible. In an interview, he said that before he joined the Smiths he was losing the ability to communicate with people, and joining the group saved him from that.

the g.i stuff is very very real and unpleasant. autism hits you at the core of who you are and how you process and deal with the world around you. how you grew up can have an enormous impact on how you are able to compensate depending on your position on the spectrum. i for one find my autism a boon in many ways as i tend to think most of the people around me illogical crazy people ruled by short sighted emotional responses and almost completely dishonest all of the time. a big issue with autistic people is how presumptuous people are about it. i always thought of cobain when speculating which celebrities have issues.

It's like you're saying people who do suffer from mental health issues can't be gifted like people with asperger's can.

Actually, being gifted is a common trait of aspergers and is due to the difference in processing. If a person with a mental health issue - like schizophrenia or anything else - is gifted, it's not due to their mental health issue.

Morrissey's personal doctor has arrived. Good to know you know he has a lot of these.

Morrissey-solo.com, where we discuss Morrissey's gastrointestinal issues.

Lol, with any autistic spectrum disorder or however they class it now, I think the disorder is out and something else is in, anyway, it's about how many boxes you tick as everyone will have certain traits. Speculation aside, it's out there that he ticks a lot of the boxes for aspergers, albeit at the mild end if that's what he'd be classed as. It's unusual to be diagnosed as an adult as back when we were all kids you were just the quirky child that was a bit "different" unless you were batshit crazy enough to be sent off to the special school. Although they're different in personality I always thought Prince and Michael Jackson were a bit that way too.

I think Morrissey is a bit mental.
He seems to have to state that he is better/thinks better than everyone else all the time. Look at the song " I am better than you" (track 3) on the new album.
His Dad did him down as a kid. He can't get over it and wants to be morally superior to everyone to show his Dad wrong.
Morrissey's Dad f***ed him up. That's why he is horrible to people.

He's definitely odd. He champions himself as a loner, but I don't think he really is- he's constantly surrounded by people, his PA, security guard, tour manager, etc.

But before The Smiths, he probably had Mammy doing everything for him, then he found success relatively quickly after forming the band, and has had his every whim catered to every since. I'd be surprised if he's ever vacuumed in his life or run an errand.

Back
Top Bottom