How many copies will World Peace sell in its first week? (in the UK)

How many copies will WPINOYB sell in its first week (in the UK)?

• More than Quarry (>70,000)

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Around Quarry – 70,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Between ROTT and Quarry (55,000-70,000)

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Around ROTT - 55,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Between YOR and ROTT (40,000-55,000)

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Around YOR – 40,000

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Fewer than YOR (<40,000)

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters

Maurice E Maher

Predicting chart positions is almost pointless - it depends on what else is out. Quarry easily outsold ROTT but was number 2, and ROTT hit the number one slot.
But how many copies do you think WPINOYB will sell in its first week?
It's looking like Morrissey's most acclaimed album since V&I. The single hasn't received massive amounts of airplay but neither did Irish Blood.
But it's been all over the indie stations (Xfm and 6 Music) and had a fair few plays on the more mainstream stations (R2 and Absolute).

M Maher

Last edited:
Between YOR and ROTT (40,000-55,000)

I chose this option as well. In 2014, it doesn’t matter WHO you are, you’re not selling as much as you did 10 years ago.

I wish it would sell more than the Quarry, hell I wish it would outsell all of them combined. God knows he needs it, not to mention that he craves it. But, with the cock ups and lack of promotion from Harvest, and Morrissey MIA, I highly doubt that it will.

Did his last one sell as much as even say, “Dangerous” though? I don’t think so.

You're talking about a 20-year-old album that was released before he was accused of being a pedophile. A better example would be 'Invincible'...only 13 years ago.

Well, there ain't much more anyone can do now. The reviews are all in, and have generally been really good. The ones in the Sunday papers (Observer, Times, Indie etc) today were, if anything, even better. All the ones with a score got 4 stars - the ones without read like 4 or 5.
So, there will be a lot more interest in this one than the last two. Problem is the single hasn't attracted much airplay. It's currently around 70. ROTT and YOR both had a lead single (Paris and Killed) which got close to the top 20 thanks to Radio 2 A-list.
I'm guessing it'll shift somewhere between ROTT and Quarry in first week, maybe around 60,000 which could just about send it to the number one spot if Ed Sharon's sales are dipping away.
I've not heard the album yet but sounds like Kiss Me and Staircase have big single potential - the album could go on to outsell Quarry (400,000) if those singles are released and manage to hit Radio 2 and Absolute A-lists. Also, if it does well in end-of-year polls and gets Mercury/Brit etc nominations which it stands a fair chance of doing...

He's also got competition against 5SoS, a new-ish boyband who are very popular at the moment.

Roll on lunch time when I can nip into HMV and get my copy!

Excited!!

Sheeran's third week at number one, over 300,000 albums sold... I doubt Moz stands much chance.

Total sales to date aren't really relevant. It's the weekly sales that count. He wouldn't have stood a chance against Sheeran if release dates were the same.
Sheeran sold something like 180,000 in week 1, 80,000 in week 2, 50,000 in week 3, and will probably sell 30-40,000 this week (unless a new single is out which is getting tons of airplay). The Moz album should shift 50,000 easily enough but I don't know if anything else released this week will sell similar numbers, or any existing albums wil manage a sales surge. It's all up for grabs!

Total sales to date aren't really relevant. It's the weekly sales that count. He wouldn't have stood a chance against Sheeran if release dates were the same.
Sheeran sold something like 180,000 in week 1, 80,000 in week 2, 50,000 in week 3, and will probably sell 30-40,000 this week (unless a new single is out which is getting tons of airplay). The Moz album should shift 50,000 easily enough but I don't know if anything else released this week will sell similar numbers, or any existing albums wil manage a sales surge. It's all up for grabs!

Hope so. If the Sheeran sales are beginning to tail off, then maybe there's a chance after all.

Some people decided to buy another copy due to late delivery.

I'm pretty optimistic, hopefully it will be No.1 and all of us will be celebrating.

I bought the deluxe copy but I kinda want the regular one too.

I'll get one tomorrow!

I don't rate the extra CD half as much as the album.

(If everyone was as idiotic as me and bought 2 copies it would get to No.1 no problem!)

^^^^^
I live in the U.S.A. I bought 1 for myself and 3 as gifts and I'll buy another in a week when Best Buy releases the deluxe edition in the U.S.A. I did not buy one of those packages but I would have if that poster had appealed to me (I collect posters) and/or I did not have his John Hancock. You are not alone, not in the least.

Back
Top Bottom