"World Peace..." review by Ben Ratliff - The New York Times

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a shitty review. The author bends over backwards trying to find reasons to diss an album he cannot dismiss. Get your noodling head out of your ass and make a statement. Egghead.

See the Greek ideal/gaze on what you'll never feel

Though I haven't heard the new album in whole, from what I've heard and what others have said it sounds to be a brilliant album in terms of summing up what Morrissey is. His lesser idolized narcissism sounds to be put on display shamelessly in songs like 'I'm Not A Man', and unchangeable world views are shown in 'World Peace...' and 'Earth...'. But equally it sounds (again, I am only going from what I've heard others say and the 4 'singles') to show brilliant observational abilities in songs like 'Istanbul', and his eloquence and more understanding side in songs such as 'Oboe Concerto', 'Mountjoy', and 'Smiler...'

Morrissey is at the very top in terms of his craft, and I can think of no one who reaches the top without suffering consequences. I hope, as I think I've worked out, that this album shows both why we love Morrissey and his less admired sides - it sounds to be a beautiful warning.

This is a shitty review. The author bends over backwards trying to find reasons to diss an album he cannot dismiss. Get your noodling head out of your ass and make a statement. Egghead.

See the Greek ideal/gaze on what you'll never feel

The Platonic ideal of art is not per se a terrible thing - I would argue that great art provides a portal through which we can tentatively grasp at a universal beauty and truth that lies just beyond our senses,

Last edited:
I don't believe it is fair to say that the songs on 'World Peace' are ropey. I'm finding that I like the album with more listens. There are some crackers on the album such as 'Oboe Concerto', and I really like 'Kick the bride' and 'Istanbul'. I'm not sure what to make of 'Mountjoy' as it seems to be crying out for a central tune to wrap around. Same for 'Staircase'. However, the extra tracks on the deluxe version are a lot better than I expected, with 'drag the river' and 'julie in the weeds' being standout tracks. I really dislike the complete waste of 90 seconds of nonsense at the start of 'I'm not a man' but like the tune itself.
I see the new album as better than Refusal and probably better than Ringleader. Not as good as Quarry but 'World Peace' is a totally different album. It is light and airy and relatively free of the chunky guitars which I had feared would drown out the songs. Also, Morrissey's voice has never been better. Howeber, I think it is past time that he worked with new songwriters. This is not to disparage Boz and the gang but I think Moz is holding himself back. Doubtless he would disagree.

my problem with the review is that it more or less takes the whole of its time talking about who this guy/gal thinks morrissey is and weather he lives up to that image or doesnt and tries very hard to read into that image.

my problem with the review is that it more or less takes the whole of its time talking about who this guy/gal thinks morrissey is and weather he lives up to that image or doesnt and tries very hard to read into that image.

Which pretty much all reviewers do - ourselves included. Can you separate the art from the artist, once you know about the latter's life? Good luck with that.

It's a really great review and nails exactly what I perceive to be the album's primary failing - the song writing is ropey as hell.

I find it funny that Ratliff would call out Morrissey's penchant for fat-shaming, but that's also why I don't find it a great review -- it's rather sanctimonious itself, ironically enough.

I find it funny that Ratliff would call out Morrissey's penchant for fat-shaming, but that's also why I don't find it a great review -- it's rather sanctimonious itself, ironically enough.

I haven't read the autobiography - does he make reference to peoples' weight much?

I did think 'You're The One For Me Fatty' a totally crap song that was a real stain on 'Your Arsenal'.

Apart from that, I guess he does call people fat in his songs now and again.

I haven't read the autobiography - does he make reference to peoples' weight much?

I did think 'You're The One For Me Fatty' a totally crap song that was a real stain on 'Your Arsenal'.

Yeah, Moz makes mention of it enough in his book that the reader eventually takes notice, but I never thought it would reach the heights of being mentioned by a NYT critic, lol.

He calls multiple people, including himself, fat in the book.

yes but objectivity is still a thing of gradation and can be taken way to far. i tend to just take the music as packaged and talk about it. i would say the same about world peace if it were from morrissey or from someone else with maybe a blurb about how the art compares to the man or what i know of him and his public image. i guess im saying the song remains the same despite morrissey being the author and so do its merits. he seemed to talk more about morrissey being misanthropic than any note of music on display. a well written review on how he feels about morrissey the man and not the album.

on another note i always took youre the one for me fatty as morrissey talking about himself, dont know for sure, being a middle aged pop star whose waist line was perhaps expanding for the first time.

Sometimes critics like to make a name for themselves by being the dissenting voice -- or the most brutal one, like that guy who "won" Hatchet Job Of The Year for shredding Autobiography. I hope they each enjoy their 15 seconds of fame.

This album is the Morrissey Masterpiece. His best solo album yet. Even the poor single choices fit in nicely. Well done, Morrissey. Well done.

I don't believe it is fair to say that the songs on 'World Peace' are ropey. I'm finding that I like the album with more listens. There are some crackers on the album such as 'Oboe Concerto', and I really like 'Kick the bride' and 'Istanbul'. I'm not sure what to make of 'Mountjoy' as it seems to be crying out for a central tune to wrap around. Same for 'Staircase'. However, the extra tracks on the deluxe version are a lot better than I expected, with 'drag the river' and 'julie in the weeds' being standout tracks. I really dislike the complete waste of 90 seconds of nonsense at the start of 'I'm not a man' but like the tune itself.
I see the new album as better than Refusal and probably better than Ringleader. Not as good as Quarry but 'World Peace' is a totally different album. It is light and airy and relatively free of the chunky guitars which I had feared would drown out the songs. Also, Morrissey's voice has never been better. Howeber, I think it is past time that he worked with new songwriters. This is not to disparage Boz and the gang but I think Moz is holding himself back. Doubtless he would disagree.

I hate Quarry, not sure which is more lame the songs or the production.

That review sucked.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom