"Five things we learned from Morrissey's new album" - The Guardian Music Blog

Five things we learned from Morrissey's new album - The Guardian Music Blog
Can Moz reinvent himself on World Peace Is None of Your Business? From ballroom balladry to mock misogyny, we count the ways he can still surprise us

Posted by
Andrew Harrison

1. Flamenco, mariachi and ballroom ballads … a Morrissey tune can surprise
2. And it's darkly funny
3. You don't want to be imprisoned in Dublin’s Mountjoy Prison
4. Morrissey has been, unfortunately, listening to Russell Brand
5. There will be a #MorrisseySexism twitter storm before the month is out

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with number 5. I have said it before and will say it again, I am shocked that "Kick The Bride Down The Aisle" made the album with it's sexist overtones. I wish that was not included.

I agree with number 5. I have said it before and will say it again, I am shocked that "Kick The Bride Down The Aisle" made the album with it's sexist overtones. I wish that was not included.
People really need to get a sense of humour and stop getting so up in arms about stupid things.

It isn't saying all brides are dumber than a cow in a field though, is it?

Surely "I'm Not A Man" is far more sexist?

"Bride" isn't my favourite on the album, but it strikes me as playful, mock-misogyny probably aimed at a specific person...

Last edited:
People really need to get a sense of humour and stop getting so up in arms about stupid things.

If Morrissey writes a song about how horrible Jewish people are or uses the "N" word, is that a joke as well. At what level is it not a joke? How is posting a message "getting up an in arms"? It was a simple post. Didn't take a lot of time or thought.

If Morrissey writes a song about how horrible Jewish people are or uses the "N" word, is that a joke as well. At what level is it not a joke? How is posting a message "getting up an in arms"? It was a simple post. Didn't take a lot of time or thought.
You might not have been so up in arms but you were agreeing that there should be a 'twitter storm'. and it's not aimed at all women, not all women get married for a start, just because he chose a woman for the song it doesn't mean he is being mysogynistic. no one can mention woman to some people without in meaning woman kind, not individuals.

And I'm sure you'll say it again and again and again... then one day you'll get a sense of humour and you'll laugh

You do realise he didn't actually do what he says in the song or for that matter plans on doing it. What fictional human being are you actually offended for?

Um, no it isn't, to answer your question. Main reason being, he hasn't.

Your point you are struggling to make isn't going to get any stronger with Ifs

"kick the bride down the aisle" reminded me of this quote by anais nin...

“How wrong is it for a woman to expect the man to build the world she wants, rather than to create it herself?”

I thought that was kind of what he meant

Aside from the fact he hasn't done these things, Woody Allen films often feature critiques of Jewish people and culture. Tarantino character's often use the N-word, as Bob Dylan does in "Hurricane". It really isn't as simple as you seem to think it is.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom