First reviews of the album from NME and the Guardian

A

Anonymous

Morrissey's biggest (sometime) UK-media allies turned adversaries have given their first views on World Peace.

NME:
"It's a stunning album: a grand return for form, and an album which, like 2004's hiatus-ending 'You Are The Quarry', proves that no amount of time in the wilderness can dull Steven Patrick's wit, wisdom or wonder."

Guardian:
"Dour melodies and (vegan) ham-fisted riffs get the elbow this time in favour of an astonishing and genuinely outward-looking musical palette that ranges from flamenco to mantric drones to mariachi to luscious ballroom ballads. In place of standard-issue indie guitar, we hear harps, cornets, strings, clarinets and even a didgeridoo. The arrival of Latino keyboard player Gustavo Manzur, who wrote the abrasive Neal Cassady Drops Dead and the frantic Earth Is the Loneliest Planet, appears to have enticed long-time songwriters Jesse Tobias and Boz Boorer out of their Radio 6 Music comfort zone. Both create some of the strangest and most enjoyable platforms they’ve yet given their employer. Whatever else, you can’t accuse Morrissey of just rehashing the Smiths again.
"From the gleeful stomp of Neal Cassady Drops Dead to the Peta-party accordion celebration of The Bullfighter Dies (“… and nobody cries”) to Earth Is the Loneliest Planet’s dervish twirl, this is the most physically enjoyable Morrissey record since his comeback You Are the Quarry in 2004. More significantly, it’s funny. Perhaps encouraged by writing Autobiography, Morrissey’s black sense of humour and liberating iconoclasm have returned. See Cassady’s I-hate-children rant (“tyke full of gripe … urchin full of acne” summons up the cartoonist Giles for some reason). And then there's Staircase at the University, a bravura yodel that makes suicide under exam pressure sound like the most exhilarating thing you can do with your summer."

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Morrissey's biggest (sometime) UK-media allies turned adversaries have given their first views on World Peace.

NME:
"It's a stunning album: a grand return for form, and an album which, like 2004's hiatus-ending 'You Are The Quarry', proves that no amount of time in the wilderness can dull Steven Patrick's wit, wisdom or wonder."

Guardian:
"Dour melodies and (vegan) ham-fisted riffs get the elbow this time in favour of an astonishing and genuinely outward-looking musical palette that ranges from flamenco to mantric drones to mariachi to luscious ballroom ballads. In place of standard-issue indie guitar, we hear harps, cornets, strings, clarinets and even a didgeridoo. The arrival of Latino keyboard player Gustavo Manzur, who wrote the abrasive Neal Cassady Drops Dead and the frantic Earth Is the Loneliest Planet, appears to have enticed long-time songwriters Jesse Tobias and Boz Boorer out of their Radio 6 Music comfort zone. Both create some of the strangest and most enjoyable platforms they’ve yet given their employer. Whatever else, you can’t accuse Morrissey of just rehashing the Smiths again.
"From the gleeful stomp of Neal Cassady Drops Dead to the Peta-party accordion celebration of The Bullfighter Dies (“… and nobody cries”) to Earth Is the Loneliest Planet’s dervish twirl, this is the most physically enjoyable Morrissey record since his comeback You Are the Quarry in 2004. More significantly, it’s funny. Perhaps encouraged by writing Autobiography, Morrissey’s black sense of humour and liberating iconoclasm have returned. See Cassady’s I-hate-children rant (“tyke full of gripe … urchin full of acne” summons up the cartoonist Giles for some reason). And then there's Staircase at the University, a bravura yodel that makes suicide under exam pressure sound like the most exhilarating thing you can do with your summer."

The photofit lefty in me has always loved Guardian reviews. I like this one.

P.

I presume there will be a proper Guardian review to go alongside that.

I'm loving all the positivity around the album, and that the man has once again made fools of those who were desperate to write him off.

I presume there will be a proper Guardian review to go alongside that.
I'm loving all the positivity around the album, and that the man has once again made fools of those who were desperate to write him off.

Yes, all the UK newspapers do their album reviews on Friday before release date (i.e this Friday).
As for Morrissey making a fool of his critics, you could argue that he's finally realised how dire the quality of his recent albums is, thanks to the huge amounts of honest criticism from critics and fans alike, and actually decided to do something about it. Not a moment too soon.

thank god they paid attention to him, i was worried it will never happen...

i found tragic & harmful for modern times and public opinion in general, the fact that such great artist like morrissey is put on the margins of the media and public focus.

they misuse him only on animal&lgbt rights and royal family agenda, mischievously/maliciously deliberate, marking him as some 'spokesman of the desperates' :confused:.

i think he is poet and philosopher, one of a kind in our age.

p.s. this time, i don't apologise for anything

Back
Top Bottom