YPINOYB Music lacking ever so much,ever so much

What Happened to awesome music on Morrissey records? The Queen is Dead, Your Going to Need Someone on Your Side, to name a very few. The intro's made the album.
What if "Why Don't You Find Out for Yourself" didn't have that great acoustic jam on it? Why not some lame back ground music that's 80% synthesizer, which to be frank, that much
on Morrissey album is weird. Not in a good way, like "Breaking Up the Family". Are you guys such blind fans that you just don't care and notice? Because this album as a whole lacks for the most part any kind of guitar riffs or songs that weren't written around his lyrics in the studio. The music sounds like background noise for Morrissey's lyrics, like nothing was written and brought to him.. I'm sure some where but not like the old days. I've been a obsessive since 1987 and I think Morrissey's players live in fear of being replaced; dictator Morrissey! we have had how many members come and go? 15? 20? Has Mozz turned into a Peter Gabriel or a Peter Murphy?

I always looked forward to the music on a Morrissey album; Morrissey is the star but I need intro's like on "The Queen is Dead" or "Your going to Need Someone on Your Side!" and or awesome melody as
on "Why Don't You Find Out for Yourself" "Yes, I Am Blind" "Dial-A-Cliche". He needs and always had a talented, able song writing partnership. Now he just writs with who's ever around at the moment. We need a Anderson/Butler, Albarn/Coxen, or how about Morrissey/Street? /White? All we have now are a bunch of keyboards and yes men.."Morrissey so much to answer for" :squiffy:

But the person underneath
Where does he go ?
Does he slide by the wayside ?
Or ... does he just die ?

And you find that you've organized
Your feelings, for people
Who didn't like you then
And do not like you now
But still you say :

"Do as I do and scrap your fey ways"
(Dial-A-Cliché)
"Grow up, be a man, and close your mealy-mouth!"
(Dial-A-Cliché)
"The Safe way is the only way !
There's always time to change, son !"

Why do you people think your opinion is worthy of a thread unto itself? There are plenty of threads here you can piss n' moan upon to your heart's content. This is hardly worthy of a thread. This general discussion forum is getting some sub par traffic like some asshole parking his car in the middle of the street saying -

"Look at me I need attention!"

you could at least get the abbreviation right.

IMO the instrumentals are amazing. Better than his lyrics and vocal delivery.
All in all though, i'm loving the entire album.

Synths are cool, tho.

gotta say i really like the music. the guitar break in istanbul is awesome, the accordian and organ use not to mention the spanish horns and spanish guitar influences are all good stuff imo.

In order to stop this from happening I probably shouldn’t reply to the thread but I will anyhow:

While everyone is entitled to their own opinion (seriously) I have to say I completely disagree with the music aspect of what you’re saying. IMO some of the music and production on this album is his best in years, if not decades. I can understand some people finding fault w/ some of the lyrics (I don’t, personally) but musically, it’s just stunning.

While everyone is entitled to their own opinion (seriously) I have to say I completely disagree with the music aspect of what you’re saying. IMO some of the music and production on this album is his best in years, if not decades. I can understand some people finding fault w/ some of the lyrics (I don’t, personally) but musically, it’s just stunning.

I agree. This is his first album in a long time that I could actually see playing to other people and not having to be all "I just still like his voice." That guitar at the end of Staircase is simply beautiful. And the music on Julie and Drag the River -- gorgeous. This is seriously good music, the best (I think) since Vauxhall, or at least Quarry.

Last edited:
I agree with you! I was shocked at the musical direction. Firstly it's over produced there are so many 'exotic sounds' on the tracks that aren't recognizable as actual instruments. And before anyone starts to say 'so what' they would do well to remember that Morrissey was a rockabilly artist and he thrived as such and his band complimented him perfectly and assigned great guitar riffs and raw guitar beats to memorable lyrics. This is just very strange. The guitars are quiet or there is a distortion. Apart from that someone has decided that there will be a lot of spanish guitar and a latin feel to the album, sometimes it's fine but when it becomes all pervasive it's just bizarre. I know Moz likes Herb Alpert but I don't think it's really his style. Art Hounds is the worst thing about this album, a great song subsumed a neutered.

I usually don't agree with the fans on this site as I loved ROTT and hate Yor but I can't believe that the critics think this is a great album. I await Mojo and Uncut.

Staircase at the university is not awful musically but it's not as remarkable as everyone is making out, the lyrics are poor, I'm not even sure morrissey is sure what it's supposed to convey, exam pressure, familial pressure, wasteful suicide. Morrissey didn't attend University so it's already alien territory.

The start of 'Art Hounds' with the marching band warming up is just awful, then the guitars are subdued.

Just listened to 'Neal Cassidy...' again and the guitar and the wub wub noise is just so annoying and absolutely detracts from anything that is being sung.

'Forgive someone' the lyrics don't fit into the melody, lots of synth in that tune.

In the middle of 'Julie in the weeds' there is a very strange sound like a radio being tuned it's also at the beginning and at the end of the song. 'Julie in the weeds is too crassly optimistic about suicide, there is no substance, irony or sentiment or lyrical depth.

I love Istanbul 100% beautiful melody and poetic descriptions. 'Kiss me alot' will be a crowd pleaser live.

I liked the last verse of 'kick the bride' but the cow in the field knowing more lyric was weird and the ending was confused musically. Actually there are a lot introductions and endings that are confused musically.

Why do you people think your opinion is worthy of a thread unto itself? There are plenty of threads here you can piss n' moan upon to your heart's content. This is hardly worthy of a thread. This general discussion forum is getting some sub par traffic like some asshole parking his car in the middle of the street saying -

"Look at me I need attention!"

you could at least get the abbreviation right.

Yeah let's stifle debate!!! Actually this is a minority opinion, the majority of fans love this album so since it's a divergent opinion why not give it it's own thread. Why should it bother you it's just a drop in the ocean. What worries me and has always worried me is how some fans take it as a personal afront if a fan says they don't like something Morrissey says or an album that has been produced. Grow up. Your like the asshole who doesn't look in his wing mirror and pulls into the cycling lane knocking a cyclist off his bike.

Yeah let's stifle debate!!! Actually this is a minority opinion, the majority of fans love this album so since it's a divergent opinion why not give it it's own thread. Why should it bother you it's just a drop in the ocean. What worries me and has always worried me is how some fans take it as a personal afront if a fan says they don't like something Morrissey says or an album that has been produced. Grow up. Your like the asshole who doesn't look in his wing mirror and pulls into the cycling lane knocking a cyclist off his bike.

Where in my first comment does it say I have a problem with the actual opinion of the thread poster? I would've said the same about someone starting yet another thread if it was a glowing review.

I don't give a shit whether people hate the album. I haven't even heard it yet but it's hardly a reason for your own thread. There are plenty of people just like you talking about how bad it is on the general threads, which is absolutely fine and completely warranted. Why not join them? It doesn't bother me at all that the album has detractors. I like plenty of Morrissey songs and albums others don't like. It's nothing new. Don't let it worry you so much. It isn't worth it. Now you're making derogatory driving analogies? wtf are you on about?

I actually like reading both sides of the debate on this album that I haven't listened to yet, and yes including your comments also. I don't see how calling me an asshole gets it any further. You must've misinterpreted me which is okay too but let's not digress.

Keep the debate flowing however rough the waters get!

Last edited:
I agree with you! I was shocked at the musical direction. Firstly it's over produced there are so many 'exotic sounds' on the tracks that aren't recognizable as actual instruments. And before anyone starts to say 'so what' they would do well to remember that Morrissey was a rockabilly artist and he thrived as such and his band complimented him perfectly and assigned great guitar riffs and raw guitar beats to memorable lyrics. This is just very strange. The guitars are quiet or there is a distortion. Apart from that someone has decided that there will be a lot of spanish guitar and a latin feel to the album, sometimes it's fine but when it becomes all pervasive it's just bizarre. I know Moz likes Herb Alpert but I don't think it's really his style. Art Hounds is the worst thing about this album, a great song subsumed a neutered.

I usually don't agree with the fans on this site as I loved ROTT and hate Yor but I can't believe that the critics think this is a great album. I await Mojo and Uncut.

Staircase at the university is not awful musically but it's not as remarkable as everyone is making out, the lyrics are poor, I'm not even sure morrissey is sure what it's supposed to convey, exam pressure, familial pressure, wasteful suicide. Morrissey didn't attend University so it's already alien territory.

The start of 'Art Hounds' with the marching band warming up is just awful, then the guitars are subdued.

Just listened to 'Neal Cassidy...' again and the guitar and the wub wub noise is just so annoying and absolutely detracts from anything that is being sung.

'Forgive someone' the lyrics don't fit into the melody, lots of synth in that tune.

In the middle of 'Julie in the weeds' there is a very strange sound like a radio being tuned it's also at the beginning and at the end of the song. 'Julie in the weeds is too crassly optimistic about suicide, there is no substance, irony or sentiment or lyrical depth.

I love Istanbul 100% beautiful melody and poetic descriptions. 'Kiss me alot' will be a crowd pleaser live.

I liked the last verse of 'kick the bride' but the cow in the field knowing more lyric was weird and the ending was confused musically. Actually there are a lot introductions and endings that are confused musically.

Morrissey was never a "Rockabilly" artist. If you date back to The Smiths, there's hardly any influence from Rockabilly. With Johnny Marr, possibly. Morrissey? No.
Also, looking passed The Smiths. Morrissey's Viva Hate still had NO Rockabilly influences.

The only reason why Morrissey had his "Rockabilly" phase was because at the time he found a new band with artists who were in Rockabilly/Psychobilly bands. As you can tell their influences and style heavily influenced Morrissey, but by no means is he a "Rockabilly" artist.
Boz Boorer - The Polecats(Neo-Rockabilly)
Gary Day - The Caravans(Psychobilly), The Sharks(Psychobilly), Frantic Flintstones(Psychobilly), The Nitros(Rockabilly), and his own band The Gazmen. I'm sure there's more.
Alain Whyte - Tiger Army(Psychobilly), Nick 13(Rockabilly), The Gazmen(Psychobilly), The Memphis Sinners, and SOOO many more.

I don't want to come off as attacking you, but that statement was incorrect.
The Kill Uncle era was one of Morrissey's best. I love his style and the music his band was putting out.
Greatly appreciated it since I do enjoy Rockabilly/Psychobilly.

Where in my first comment does it say I have a problem with the actual opinion of the thread poster? I would've said the same about someone starting yet another thread if it was a glowing review.

I don't give a shit whether people hate the album. I haven't even heard it yet but it's hardly a reason for your own thread. There are plenty of people just like you talking about how bad it is on the general threads, which is absolutely fine and completely warranted. Why not join them? It doesn't bother me at all that the album has detractors. I like plenty of Morrissey songs and albums others don't like. It's nothing new. Don't let it worry you so much. It isn't worth it. Now you're making derogatory driving analogies? wtf are you on about?

I actually like reading both sides of the debate on this album that I haven't listened to yet, and yes including your comments also. I don't see how calling me an asshole gets it any further. You must've misinterpreted me which is okay too but let's not digress.

Keep the debate flowing however rough the waters get!

On a forum with such a small remit if a thread is popular then it will survive if not then it will go.

Sorry I misinterpreted the part where you called the O.P. an asshole.

Don't go on reddit, people create multiple threads on various topics, your mind will be blown.

On a forum with such a small remit if a thread is popular then it will survive if not then it will go.

Sorry I misinterpreted the part where you called the O.P. an asshole.

Don't go on reddit, people create multiple threads on various topics, your mind will be blown.

You've already blown my mind.

Rockabilly artist? Ha ha! For 1 and 1/2 albums.

The music structures are soooo weird! Underused guitars! Weird instruments! Exotic sounds! Synths! Over produced! Weird sound effects!

Hmmm....

How Soon Is Now?
Asleep
Death Of A Disco Dancer
Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
Meat Is Murder
A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours
Shakespeare's Sister
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others
That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
Rubber Ring
Angel, Angel Down We Go Together
Alsatian Cousin
I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday
The Last of the Famous International Playboys
Late Night, Maudlin Street
November Spawned a Monster
Ouija Board, Ouija Board
Will Never Marry
Seasick, Yet Still Docked

Man you are right! When Moz doesn't play barre chord chug rock he totally sucks!

So glad he didn't make any classic songs in unconventional styles, with non rock based instruments, using those weird sound effects, with atypical song structures, with strange fade ins and fade outs!

I can't tell yet if the music on WPINOYB is that good...

...or if it's because, by comparison, the music on YOR was that bad.

Morrissey was never a "Rockabilly" artist. If you date back to The Smiths, there's hardly any influence from Rockabilly. With Johnny Marr, possibly. Morrissey? No.
Also, looking passed The Smiths. Morrissey's Viva Hate still had NO Rockabilly influences.

The only reason why Morrissey had his "Rockabilly" phase was because at the time he found a new band with artists who were in Rockabilly/Psychobilly bands. As you can tell their influences and style heavily influenced Morrissey, but by no means is he a "Rockabilly" artist.
Boz Boorer - The Polecats(Neo-Rockabilly)
Gary Day - The Caravans(Psychobilly), The Sharks(Psychobilly), Frantic Flintstones(Psychobilly), The Nitros(Rockabilly), and his own band The Gazmen. I'm sure there's more.
Alain Whyte - Tiger Army(Psychobilly), Nick 13(Rockabilly), The Gazmen(Psychobilly), The Memphis Sinners, and SOOO many more.

I don't want to come off as attacking you, but that statement was incorrect.
The Kill Uncle era was one of Morrissey's best. I love his style and the music his band was putting out.
Greatly appreciated it since I do enjoy Rockabilly/Psychobilly.

Yeah there's like a handful of songs Morrissey has done that have a rockabilly influence. Mainly Kill Uncle, a B side and the Pregnant single plus Certain People I Know. Hardly makes him a rockabilly artist and thank god he only flirted with it. I like it but it was done and was time to move on. Can you imagine Vauxhall And I with a rockabilly tune on it? Sheesh!

Rockabilly artist? Ha ha! For 1 and 1/2 albums.

The music structures are soooo weird! Underused guitars! Weird instruments! Exotic sounds! Synths! Over produced! Weird sound effects!

Hmmm....

How Soon Is Now?
Asleep
Death Of A Disco Dancer
Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
Meat Is Murder
A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours
Shakespeare's Sister
Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others
That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore
Rubber Ring
Angel, Angel Down We Go Together
Alsatian Cousin
I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday
The Last of the Famous International Playboys
Late Night, Maudlin Street
November Spawned a Monster
Ouija Board, Ouija Board
Will Never Marry
Seasick, Yet Still Docked

Man you are right! When Moz doesn't play barre chord chug rock he totally sucks!

So glad he didn't make any classic songs in unconventional styles, with non rock based instruments, using those weird sound effects, with atypical song structures, with strange fade ins and fade outs!

and Sweetie Pie...

Yeah there's like a handful of songs Morrissey has done that have a rockabilly influence. Mainly Kill Uncle, a B side and the Pregnant single plus Certain People I Know. Hardly makes him a rockabilly artist and thank god he only flirted with it. I like it but it was done and was time to move on. Can you imagine Vauxhall And I with a rockabilly tune on it? Sheesh!

I was crushed when I found out that it wouldn't

lyrically the album mostly ranges from ham-fisted to cringeworthy, but musically i must admit that i like it quite a bit better than i wanted/expected to. certainly better than people are the same everywhere etc. the opening of the title track is beautiful. this has a lot of potential to grow on me if i am able to get over the lyrics which is an incredibly strange way to feel about a morrissey album but, hey, it's 2014.

Does an artist ever really escape his roots? Nah those songs were not produced in the same manner as the songs on this album if there were any sounds that were from sound boards they were consistent and framed the songs rather than just appearing randomly like the radio tuning noise in 'Julie in the weeds' or the awful 'wub wub' sound in 'Neal Cassidy' that presided over the track . Besides I'm really thinking about the direction Morrissey solo has taken. You love the album that's great, enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom