The new Morrissey album - how did the music get so good?

To be fair Alain Whyte played quite a bit of the time with almost as much of the same intensity and distorted overdriven guitar as Jessy. I think a key factor in the difference is that Alain's guitar tone almost always would have a chorus effect turned on as well, which will definitely soften the sound and cause the overdrive to sound less abrasive,less white noise kind of sounding,helping individual notes ring out more clearly.

As I said I like the happy medium moments when it comes to Moz arrangements, the circa 1994-1997 is my favorite sounding period. But, if I had a say in anything that went on with this recording, I would have had 4 or 5 maybe even 6 of the 18 tracks, recorded closer to the heavier live sound of the previous few albums. The last halff of the album and then the deluxe songs the arrangements make it start to seem almost like a few of the songs sound very similar. Especially if you take The first deluxe song out, Scandenavia and Art Hounds, the middle songs of the deluxe version sound very closely associated. As does a lot of the album as a whole. Too much so IMO that's why I'd have had at least a few tracks with the big guitar sound.

All you have to do is search youtube for the best quality live versions of Art hounds, and Earth is the loneliest planet. Play them back to back with the studio version and you will totally feel the energy being sucked out of them.

The last halff of the album and then the deluxe songs the arrangements make it start to seem almost like a few of the songs sound very similar. Especially if you take The first deluxe song out, Scandenavia and Art Hounds, the middle songs of the deluxe version sound very closely associated.

I love the sound of the four new deluxe songs. They are less sonically intense than the album proper, quite loose, and his voice is so rich and full on them. It's like having an EP at the end of the main event. I wouldn't mind an entire album in that style.

Re: The new Morrissey album - how did the music get so ... good?

I made this comment before and no one cared, but I'll swing again -
Since Morrissey came out publicly in support and praise for Young The Giant four or five years ago - they (YTG) have become a 'family' fave band in my house hold. At that time YTG had only one album (self titled debut), which in places (Apartment, Guns Out) sounded very Smith-esque. This album was produced by Joe Chiccarelli. I am convinced (and always will be) that this is when Moz decided who would produce his next album.
YTG - should have stuck w/ Joe for their second album ...

oh, they're good. but they sound more like 'manic street preachers'... :)

p.s. did anybody here notice that in few songs morrissey sings like peter hammill solo :confused:?

p.p.s. apologies

So forgive me for asking, but which of the deluxe songs are “new” to this release (as in, not played live yet)

I know he’s done Scandinavia and Art-Hounds. So the rest have not been played live as of yet, correct?

So forgive me for asking, but which of the deluxe songs are “new” to this release (as in, not played live yet)

I know he’s done Scandinavia and Art-Hounds. So the rest have not been played live as of yet, correct?

That's right, and Art-Hounds only once, at that.

Yup. Exactly right.

That is what I figured, I knew Alain wrote a lot of those songs, but I couldn't remember if and to what extent he played on the album. Does anyone know why he stopped touring with Moz? I know he is based in L.A. and does a lot of session work. Did he want off the road, or did camp Morrissey want him gone? I remember hearing that supposedly Moz had a crush on drummer Spencer which complicated things so he left or was asked to leave?

That is what I figured, I knew Alain wrote a lot of those songs, but I couldn't remember if and to what extent he played on the album. Does anyone know why he stopped touring with Moz? I know he is based in L.A. and does a lot of session work. Did he want off the road, or did camp Morrissey want him gone? I remember hearing that supposedly Moz had a crush on drummer Spencer which complicated things so he left or was asked to leave?

Morrissey sent someone (Boz?) out to the car park to fire Alain. At least an anti-Semitic remark wasn't used this time.

Back
Top Bottom