"Forgive Someone"

Marr certainly came to mind when I first heard this song; however, the final stanza about track and field and bleachers doesn't really comport with the theory.

Quite! And exactly what Johnny told his Healer bandmates...

Could you elaborate on this? What exactly did he tell them?

Could you elaborate on this? What exactly did he tell them?

Um. A friend of mine knew someone in the Healers and told me what Johnny had told them. Not for me to post in a public forum - but it has always informed my reading of the songs.

Marr certainly came to mind when I first heard this song; however, the final stanza about track and field and bleachers doesn't really comport with the theory.

Maybe that is the entire point of the final stanza...so the song seems like it's about more than asking a bandmate he was in love with 25 years ago to come back to him.

Um. A friend of mine knew someone in the Healers and told me what Johnny had told them. Not for me to post in a public forum - but it has always informed my reading of the songs.

Please. Just a hint.

The reason for the raw emotion that Morrissey still feels years later could very well be that he was in love with him and the breakup of the Smiths affected him in so many ways. It's sad.

Quite! And exactly what Johnny told his Healer bandmates...

Peter is dead right about this one - "still ill" is the giveaway.

Still Ill is the give away? Would Morrissey ever be that obvious?

Most people here want Morrissey to want Marr back before it's too late. I just happen to not be one of them. What exactly is too late anyway? No one is dead right about anything here in this song, including me. Finding more people here to back up this theory is like shooting fish in a barrel. I want them to kiss and make up too but it ain't gonna happen.

Just put me down for disagreeing and cue the next one who agrees.

Last edited:
Still Ill is the give away? Would Morrissey ever be that obvious?

Most people here want Morrissey to want Marr back before it's too late. I just happen to not be one of them. What exactly is too late anyway? No one is dead right about anything here in this song, including me. Finding more people here to back up this theory is like shooting fish in a barrel. I want them to kiss and make up too but it ain't gonna happen.

Just put me down for disagreeing and cue the next one who agrees.

If you're not "dead right" about anything in this song, how can you presume to say others are not?

If you're not "dead right" about anything in this song, how can you presume to say others are not?

That's why they're called opinions. As in thoughts based on feelings and not facts. These are Morrissey lyrics we're talking about, not Morrissey law etched in stone. You'll find I mentioned earlier I would be happy to be wrong.

This thread will be swarmed with people who agree with the thread poster's theory. I'm sure he won't mind one or two disagreeing. Lord knows we or I will be in the minority which is fine. I don't care if everyone thinks it's about Marr. I was just offering my opinion.

Isn't that what's great about Morrisssey's lyrics? That we can all have our own theories where no one is right or wrong? That's what i love about his words. I don't need to know the exact seed of every song but if you want to then that's fine too.

Last edited:
The fact Morrissey drove Marr away from The Smiths because he was acting like a jealous wife?

and that is a "fact" is it?

There is no mention of anything like this in the autobiography no admission of wrong-doing by Morrissey (upon reflection) in relation to Marr and the split. According to the autobiography the Smiths split happened mainly because people surrounding Marr conducted a whispering campaign against Morrissey which was eventually listened too.
One thing you are missing from your interpretation is that Marr is now clearly ready and happy to reunite (and has been for a while), he isn't holding a grudge over some imagined wrong-doing, Morrissey does not need his forgiveness at all so why would he be seeking it in song? The reality is in fact the other way around, for a reunion to happen (yawn) Morrissey needs to forgive Marr for turning his back, for listening to whispers, for losing faith and for the court case etc etc.

Now Morrissey does have a history of writing from other "characters" points of view and for putting other voices into songs and switching the narrative and so anything is possible and the "Still ill" reference certainly evokes The Smiths or at least that time frame but I don't this this song is as clear as you are making out. In fact I think you are projecting your own Morrissey hang ups into this lyric (again).

Uncleskinny;1986849161The black peat of the hills When I was still ill See this mess and forgive someone And then recall if you can How all this even began Forgive someone [/QUOTE said:
The mention of the 'black peat of the hills' brings to mind the chapter in Moz's autobiography when he went up to Saddleworth Moor with Johnny a few years after the split, and wanted a 'day without blame' where they talked about the old songs.

The mention of the 'black peat of the hills' brings to mind the chapter in Moz's autobiography when he went up to Saddleworth Moor with Johnny a few years after the split, and wanted a 'day without blame' where they talked about the old songs.

Now that's a good analysis!

I thought something similar except it was that dude that was walking down the street dressed like a New York Doll who used to come and watch him run at sports day that I think ended up dying in a car crash? Something along those lines. I love how whenever Moz sings ANYTHING about forgiveness it automatically gets decoded as a paen to Marr.

We know so little about who has come and gone from Morrissey's life that inevitably the public relationships are the ones that become the center of speculation. Marr comes to mind because we know a portion of their history.

I don't see Moz penning a song like this with Johnny in mind. Not at this point. Having spent the last couple of years mulling over the past while putting together his autobiography, I'd imagine a lot of long-ago relationships were dragged from the dregs of memory into the present. Assuming the lyrics are from a personal experience rather than an observational one, my money would be on someone we know nothing about from long ago and far away.

If this song is really about Johnny then it is done with tongue in cheek. I'm sure the demo had the synths as well. And for moz to pen lyrics to a synth laden song for Johnny is very funny, since not being allowed to use synths and drum machines is one of the reasons Johnny left.

Back
Top Bottom