"Forgive Someone"

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
Forgive me for raising this separately from the main lyrics thread, but I cannot help thinking that this song is a direct message to Johnny for one last chance to do something together, before it's too late...

"Use a weapon of words
Or a fight with your fists
But can you forgive someone?

Stand your ground and persist
And be the last one to blink
But can you forgive someone?

And if you do
I'll run to you
Betray you with a word
I will slit my own throat first of all
I will

The black peat of the hills
When I was still ill
See this mess and forgive someone

And then recall if you can
How all this even began
Forgive someone

And if you do
I'll run to you
Betray you with a word
I would slit my own throat first of all
I will

Our truth will die with me
Shorts and supports and faulty shower heads
At track and field we dreamt of our beds
In the bleachers you set with your legs spread, smiling
"Here's one thing you'll never have"

Our truth will die with me"

Just me then?

P.

That seems like a good reading of it. I gave these lyrics a once over last night at the reference to Still Ill ('When I was still ill') really stood out for me - is he trying to let Johnny know that he's changed? In my eyes this looks like an apology, with M acknowledging that, in some way, he wasn't fair to Johnny.

The black peat of the hills
When I was still ill
See this mess and forgive someone

And then recall if you can
How all this even began
Forgive someone

The above lyrics are especially telling, particuarly the use of 'still ill'.

I can't read it any other way than what you suggest.

I haven't heard the song but reading it it feels more like a person thinking of someone they went to school with. The last verse is literally about gym class. Isn't bleachers an American word?

You can definitely make it fit when you think about it but it sounds more like an old school buddy, whether it was his or not isn't clear and nor should it be.

Last edited:
possibly, but on closer inspection it seems like it is more likely to be directed to a school chum. or not.

Yes, bleachers is an American term and yes, the last verse does seem to be about an American High school friend however, that appears out of nowhere and is, frankly, out of place in regards to the rest f the song.

This and 'I Won't Share You' will make an interesting pair.

I think Moz has a laundry list of people he probably could "forgive" so it could be anyone. haha

Though the "still ill" nod is interesting.

This song title stood out to me more than the others for personal reasons, but the part:

"And then recall if you can
How all this even began
Forgive someone"

This has induced major major feels in me.

Yes, bleachers is an American term and yes, the last verse does seem to be about an American High school friend however, that appears out of nowhere and is, frankly, out of place in regards to the rest f the song.

This and 'I Won't Share You' will make an interesting pair.

Nah even the early part of the song sounds like scrapping in your youth to me.

Could the song be about that tom boy girl he used to hang with when they were kids? From reading Autobiography she sounds like someone he looked up to and probably got him in and out of a few fights.

Does anyone know what page I'm talking about?

But let me just say I'd love to be wrong.

Last edited:
Nah even the early part of the song sounds like scrapping in your youth to me.

Could the song be about that tom boy girl he used to hang with when they were kids? From reading Autobiography she sounds like someone he looked up to and probably got him in and out of a few fights.

Does anyone know what page I'm talking about?

But let me just say I'd love to be wrong.

I thought something similar except it was that dude that was walking down the street dressed like a New York Doll who used to come and watch him run at sports day that I think ended up dying in a car crash? Something along those lines. I love how whenever Moz sings ANYTHING about forgiveness it automatically gets decoded as a paen to Marr.

I thought something similar except it was that dude that was walking down the street dressed like a New York Doll who used to come and watch him run at sports day that I think ended up dying in a car crash? Something along those lines. I love how whenever Moz sings ANYTHING about forgiveness it automatically gets decoded as a pen to Marr.

Yeah okay. I didn't think of that one. Good point.

You can hardly blame people for making the inference though :)

Oh please, no, again no, not happening, no, it's done how many more times can it be said. Over, finished, not interested.

The above makes me think that this is about somebody he was at least slightly openly, sexually attracted to at some point.

The above makes me think that this is about somebody he was at least slightly openly, sexually attracted to at some point.

That one line alone is evidence it ain't about Marr. What would they ahve to forgive each other for anyway?

That one line alone is evidence it ain't about Marr. What would they ahve to forgive each other for anyway?

What world do you live in where there wasn't obvious romantic tension (albeit one sided) between Morrissey and Marr?

The fact Morrissey drove Marr away from The Smiths because he was acting like a jealous wife?

Back
Top Bottom