"Forgive Someone"

reading-logo-alt.jpg

Why take his word for it? The lyric states that he is not right in the head, too.

Yeah, I guess i know some pretty level-headed-not-right-in-the-head people now that I think of it.

hypothetically ridiculous.

feeling jarred Marred?

Its clear that the music on this new Morrissey album is far better than the music on Marrs latest. It also seems likely that Marrs last album was a collection of songs written with The Smiths in mind, Marr almost said as much. I'm starting to think a reunion would be a big mistake unless Marr seriously ups his game.

I know there have been a few, but "forgive someone" may well be one of top 5 Most Dishonest Songs of All Time.

It's as if Judas Iscariot had suddenly decided to take Jesus C. to a karaoke and picked "You've Got a Friend."
And Jesus is looking all like, "Really, Judas? Really?" but Judas still doesn't stop...

It's a feat of some sort that I hope History will ackowledge...

I see some are taking as 'Still Ill' is mentioned it is a direct reference to Johnny as they wrote the song when they were in The Smiths.

However the way I take is that in 'Still Ill' Morrissey was clearly writing about someone from his past. 'Under the iron bridge we kissed.' Now to the best of my knowledge he and Johnny never kissed under any bridge (except possibly in Morrissey's imagination, haha) so to me I take the reference of 'still ill' in 'forgive someone' to be a direct nod to the same protagonist who was the subject of the original song.

'Still Ill' was definitely about a time pre-Smiths and this song also feels very much the same, reinforced by the 'sitting in the bleachers' line. I suspect the subject matter of both songs is the same person.

But hey that is just my take and as has been mentioned that is half the fun of dissecting the lyrics, the debate that comes with it.

so to me I take the reference of 'still ill' in 'forgive someone' to be a direct nod to the same protagonist who was the subject of the original song.

...I don't think Morrissey likes old people much.

:/

...Which is not to say he favours spring chickens.

:#

...Except the sort of spring chickens you find in crappy PETA videos.

:$

The final verse also recalls (to me at least) the "Captain of games, solid framed / I stood on the touchline" section of Break Up The Family.

I'm also similarly suspicious of One of Our Kind and the line: "A job half-done... is not done."

In the bleachers you set with your legs spread, smiling
"Here's one thing you'll never have"

The above makes me think that this is about somebody he was at least slightly openly, sexually attracted to at some point.

Which rules Johnny out in no way at all...

Last edited:
When I first saw the thread I thought, "Oh God, not again". And then I looked properly at the lyrics, the "still ill" reference etc... and thought holy shit. It's probably the most "obvious" song about Johnny he's ever written, more in-your-face than Billy Budd, Angel, Angel, and I Don't Mind If You Forget Me all put together. I don't think a musical reunion is on the cards, but it sounds like he wants to sort out the friendship before it's too late.

I see some are taking as 'Still Ill' is mentioned it is a direct reference to Johnny as they wrote the song when they were in The Smiths.

However the way I take is that in 'Still Ill' Morrissey was clearly writing about someone from his past. 'Under the iron bridge we kissed.' Now to the best of my knowledge he and Johnny never kissed under any bridge (except possibly in Morrissey's imagination, haha) so to me I take the reference of 'still ill' in 'forgive someone' to be a direct nod to the same protagonist who was the subject of the original song.

'Still Ill' was definitely about a time pre-Smiths and this song also feels very much the same, reinforced by the 'sitting in the bleachers' line. I suspect the subject matter of both songs is the same person.

But hey that is just my take and as has been mentioned that is half the fun of dissecting the lyrics, the debate that comes with it.

That was lifted from "Spend, Spend, Spend" by Viv Nicholson, wasn't it?
"We walked for miles, round the backs, right over the iron bridge and down underneath it on the towpath. We were kissing away and touching and getting really sore lips"

"Use a weapon of words or a fight with your fists but can you forgive someone?" #WorldPeaceIsNoneOfYourBusiness https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65hmZLP6wOU

"Mary Morrissey - Today on the series "The 12 Laws of the Universe," Mary Morrissey discusses the Law of Forgiveness. To "for give" is to give for a higher, more liberating and more freeing perception. To forgive is to remove a block in your presences that prevents you from seeing things as they really are or as they could be. This block is held by resentment and anger, so letting it go means letting go of the resentment and anger and negating its power to keep you blocked.

Resentment is like a hot coal. You can pick it up to throw it at someone else, but the chances are that you will be burned far more badly than anyone at whom you throw that coal. Holding on to hatred is like drinking a little poison every day and expecting someone else to get sick!

The universe teaches us to "Forgive, and you shall be forgiven." Many people mistakenly believe that to forgive means to make something that someone did in the past okay. That is not the case. Forgiveness actually means that you make a conscious decision not to allow the other person's actions to affect you for the rest of your life."

Last edited by a moderator:
I ve just listened to the whole J Kornfield one and really enjoyed it, so thought I'd share. Hope it helps others too :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiRP-Q4mMtk

I like the hippie way this thread is going , I hope Johnny doesn't mind we broadened the theme to the whole of humanity, not just him :D

Let's just assume every Morrissey song is about Marr. Safer that way.

Back
Top Bottom