Favorite song off 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business'?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date

Favorite song off 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business'?

• World Peace Is None Of Your Business

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Neal Cassady Drops Dead

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I'm Not A Man

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Istanbul

Votes: 13 10.0%
  • Earth Is The Loneliest Planet

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Staircase At The University

Votes: 37 28.5%
  • The Bullfighter Dies

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Kiss Me A Lot

Votes: 16 12.3%
  • Smiler With Knife

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • Kick The Bride Down The Aisle

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • Mountjoy

Votes: 14 10.8%
  • Oboe Concerto

Votes: 6 4.6%

• Total voters
so i love the album but does anyone feel like this is a weirdly sequenced album. tracks one through six dont seem to me to be where they should be. dont know if i woulda opened with world peace for example. i dont know it just feels jarring a bit which can be a good and bad thing i suppose

its, neal cassidy, is i think about the beats trying to figure out if convention was a trap or a boon to humanity and human experience. there attempt at trying to figure it all out. is convention about saving us from indulgence or is it a means of control designed and prompted by our fears and the fears of others. like with the beat "rap". does it have to have meaning or be logical and sensical in narrative to be important. does it have to have intention to be beautiful or to prompt understanding. do we hate seemingly random association on some basic level. are we afraid of it. must we always love babies and children and not find them disgusting without being a horrible person. will we be able to say it out loud without ridicule. using the example of neal who probably dropped dead of cocaine use is an example thats kinda ambiguous which is realistic of the conclusion of the beat experiment (i mean jack considered his experience on the road to be a huge failure which is why he ends up in the nothing of the desert. most people fail to understand this perspective). ginsberg was neals once lover and probably wondered was it a good idea to be the betrayer of convention and go on one of lifes adventures, one of which ironically is death, or should he have heeded convention because if so he might still be there alive and with him. just an idea superficially articulated in a short amount of time. ive also only had the album for about a day now. hope that helps somewhat chris

I really love this interpretation of it! Thanks

I've listened to "Kiss Me A Lot" probably about 50 times in the last week and I'm still not tired of it. The hook is just perfect. And it's also great driving music for some reason.

"Staircase" is very good too. A close second.

if they do release kiss me a lot he should consider using a photo by robert doisneau whos famous for his photos of couples kissing in the streets. saw a print of one once in a burger king in line for the bathroom. had to look it up and own it for myself.

robert-doisneau-kiss-wallpaperrobert-doisneau--robert-doisneau-kiss-eewg9gld.jpg

such a good photo

For me, it is "The Bullfighter Dies" for at least two reasons:

First, the music is to me the most addictive and catchy, and sticks in my head.

Second, and perhaps most importantly, the lyrics are my favorite on the album; the ones I most identify with and most agree with.

It just has the best combination for me of both music and lyrics that I can get completely into.

Personally, I love this record. True, one of the best Morrissey tracks (of his solo career, Forgive Someone) isn't available on the standard US release, which I own. However, the 12 track standard release is wonderful. I'm so happy to have a truly great Morrissey record again. I believe he has truly found his sound - always believed Little Man, What Now was very underrated and he could've stuck with that type of sound. And G. Manzur is truly special, and he's all over the record with his flamenco playing and vocals. The music has an amazing tone, and diverse sounds, including 3 guitar players at times - playing complementary arrangements. The band is the best it's ever been right now - SO glad Matt's back. Additionally, Morrissey is singing like he wants to make a difference in somebody's life. And he reaches out to you, like in Angel Down We Go..., throughout the whole record. Speaking to you like a father.
Anyways, Smiler With Knife got my vote - hands down. UNBELIEVABLE!!! THESE guys are real artists, breaking new ground. I can't describe how good it really is. The shifts and sways, the humor in the words, all the dirty in-betweens - perfect Morrissey song on a truly great Morrissey record. Neal Cassady would've had second -- I don't love the babies part, but the ending is pure Morrissey brilliance with beautiful vocals from Manzur. The AMAZING extended ending reminds me of how a Smiths song would sound. Kick the Bride is also a close second, but Forgive Someone is truly second. I can't describe how good it really is also. BLOWN AWAY. One of his catalogue's most special tracks.
I really hope that he does one more album and retires and enjoys himself with no pressures. <-- OR he could stop now, for the album is good enough to end your career on. He seems to me to be very self-aware and knowledgable about his place in the world, life/death - seems okay with it all. I hope his health is stronger every day and that he lives to be truly old. <-- HAD tickets for Hershey, FYI. Got my money back, so thanks for that. Saw you in Pittsburgh in 2008, sooo....add that, this great album, and all the live DVDs I have from you - I'm alright with you NOT touring again. However, you could do a short tour of smaller venues - possibly including Hershey if you like.
When I listen to an album like this, it makes me thankful that I've been a fan of his for over 20 years. I'm married to a beautiful woman, have a young son and another child due in January. Like all (most) of us, my shoulders are heavy with pressure. It's wonderful to have a soundtrack to help move life along, while making it a little more interesting and enjoyable. It's something, that for me, a great Morrissey record can do. Yes, there are just a few lyrics I don't care for - but the amazing lyrics are more than worth the 'tolerance' it takes to get there. To me, and I have ALL the records, there's nothing unlistenable for me here. I can't believe the record sounds this good!!!! Thank you for this, Steven. I've got your back.

Sorry for the length, you people around here rock (for the most part).

When I listen to an album like this, it makes me thankful that I've been a fan of his for over 20 years. I'm married to a beautiful woman, have a young son and another child due in January. Like all (most) of us, my shoulders are heavy with pressure. It's wonderful to have a soundtrack to help move life along, while making it a little more interesting and enjoyable. It's something, that for me, a great Morrissey record can do. Yes, there are just a few lyrics I don't care for - but the amazing lyrics are more than worth the 'tolerance' it takes to get there. To me, and I have ALL the records, there's nothing unlistenable for me here. I can't believe the record sounds this good!!!! Thank you for this, Steven. I've got your back.

Nice post, Anonymous. It feels great to read enthusiastic responses to the album like yours. And I love what you said about Moz having a fatherly voice.

Personally, I love this record. True, one of the best Morrissey tracks (of his solo career, Forgive Someone) isn't available on the standard US release, which I own. However, the 12 track standard release is wonderful. I'm so happy to have a truly great Morrissey record again. I believe he has truly found his sound - always believed Little Man, What Now was very underrated and he could've stuck with that type of sound. And G. Manzur is truly special, and he's all over the record with his flamenco playing and vocals. The music has an amazing tone, and diverse sounds, including 3 guitar players at times - playing complementary arrangements. The band is the best it's ever been right now - SO glad Matt's back. Additionally, Morrissey is singing like he wants to make a difference in somebody's life. And he reaches out to you, like in Angel Down We Go..., throughout the whole record. Speaking to you like a father.
Anyways, Smiler With Knife got my vote - hands down. UNBELIEVABLE!!! THESE guys are real artists, breaking new ground. I can't describe how good it really is. The shifts and sways, the humor in the words, all the dirty in-betweens - perfect Morrissey song on a truly great Morrissey record. Neal Cassady would've had second -- I don't love the babies part, but the ending is pure Morrissey brilliance with beautiful vocals from Manzur. The AMAZING extended ending reminds me of how a Smiths song would sound. Kick the Bride is also a close second, but Forgive Someone is truly second. I can't describe how good it really is also. BLOWN AWAY. One of his catalogue's most special tracks.
I really hope that he does one more album and retires and enjoys himself with no pressures. <-- OR he could stop now, for the album is good enough to end your career on. He seems to me to be very self-aware and knowledgable about his place in the world, life/death - seems okay with it all. I hope his health is stronger every day and that he lives to be truly old. <-- HAD tickets for Hershey, FYI. Got my money back, so thanks for that. Saw you in Pittsburgh in 2008, sooo....add that, this great album, and all the live DVDs I have from you - I'm alright with you NOT touring again. However, you could do a short tour of smaller venues - possibly including Hershey if you like.

That was really nice.

Here -here, brother.

Staircase is by far my favourite at the moment. His voice still sounds fantastic.

"Smiler With Knife" is my favorite right now, but just barely. I like everything about it. The lyrics are outstanding and they really hit home with me. Morrisey's voice is wonderful. Also I like the music, to me it's complex and complicated. I like the way it goes back and forth, from slow to fast, in unpredictable ways. The music at the end is awesome! Thank you, Jesse Tobias.

My second favorite is "Kick the Bride Down the Aisle." I also like everything about this tremendous song. Morrissey's voice and the music are phenomenal. I like all the unique twists and turns the music takes. Jesse Tobias strikes gold again! I also really like the lyrics. There is alot of truth in these lyrics and I give Moz credit for having the guts to write them.

I also love "Oboe Concerto" and "Mountjoy." "Mountjoy" offers some of the best lyrics I've ever heard in a song. These lyrics sing the truth, and they sing it in volumes. I barely even noticed the music. Morrissey's wonderful voice & the lyrics carried the day. "Oboe Concerto" is special. To me it's like a dramatic "Certain People I Know," with better music and more emotional punch.

I haven't listened to the b-sides yet. I do have them, I broke down and went to stupid Best Buy to snag the deluxe edition, with the b-sides cd. I just can't stop listening to the last five songs on the main album to get to the second cd. I like "Kiss Me A Lot" too, even though the last 45 seconds to a minute sound like a half-hearted Weezer imitation. I like when Rivers and Brian Bell bust out Weezer licks, but not overly enamored when Jesse does it.

Couple of listens. A solid 3.5 to 4 out of 5, I'd say, I think the reviews so far have got it about right. What I like is (a) The production - understated, not as #in yer face# as Refusal. (b) The variety of pace and styles is refreshing and (c) it's not trying too hard. Favourite song - it may change, but I do like Kiss Me Alot. And I agree with the comments of Old Mathew - the singing is far, far better than on previous albums. One little gripe - there's still several songs where they do that "F to E7" drop at the end of quite a few lines, but it's a minor point.

P.

Agreed 100% .
I think the album works incredibly well as precisely that, an album. Great production, great singing and great songs. The singing in particular is fantastic, much better than in previous records where sometimes he sings a little too high for my taste . I think these new songs suit him perfectly.
As for the songs, it's curious to see how some people's favorites ("Mountjoy", "Neal Cassidy..") are fillers to me and viceversa.

Edit: Forgot to say that Gustavo's contribution on the whole record is outstanding

Last edited:
I don't understand the popularity of Kiss me alot in here.
I like most of the song...except for the chorus. It just sounds so cheesy, or at least the part where the title is sung. I think main thing that makes it sound cheesy is that it starts with a 7th chord (almost out of nowhere).
Another thing that I don't understand is why the title track seems to be so unpopular. I think it's got some of the best melodies on the album. Especially the melody that the title words are sung in.

My favorite on the album is Staircase at the university. Such a great song.

I don't understand the popularity of Kiss me alot in here.
I like most of the song...except for the chorus. It just sounds so cheesy, or at least the part where the title is sung. I think main thing that makes it sound cheesy is that it starts with a 7th chord (almost out of nowhere).
Another thing that I don't understand is why the title track seems to be so unpopular. I think it's got some of the best melodies on the album. Especially the melody that the title words are sung in.

My favorite on the album is Staircase at the university. Such a great song.

I think the title track might be well be a great piece of music - even Jesse's guitar solo sounds cool.
Trouble is the lyrics are so awful/foolish/patronising, they just ruin the whole thing.

I completely agree. I find the title track haunting, in a very similar way to 'The Queen Is Dead'.

I love the title track too, what I cannot understand for the life of me is how "Neal Cassidy drops dead" is currently the most popular song on this poll.

I love the title track too, what I cannot understand for the life of me is how "Neal Cassidy drops dead" is currently the most popular song on this poll.

Neal Cassady Drops Dead grew on me after about the 5th listen.

Last edited:
I can't keep up with all these polls. Is there one for LEAST Favorite song off 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business'? I think that would be interesting. And, no, it wouldn't just be these results in reverse.

Back
Top Bottom