Favorite song off 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business'?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date

Favorite song off 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business'?

• World Peace Is None Of Your Business

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Neal Cassady Drops Dead

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I'm Not A Man

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Istanbul

Votes: 13 10.0%
  • Earth Is The Loneliest Planet

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Staircase At The University

Votes: 37 28.5%
  • The Bullfighter Dies

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Kiss Me A Lot

Votes: 16 12.3%
  • Smiler With Knife

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • Kick The Bride Down The Aisle

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • Mountjoy

Votes: 14 10.8%
  • Oboe Concerto

Votes: 6 4.6%

• Total voters
Art Hounds is brilliant....The album, from start-to-finish is nothing but AMAZING tracks. There's isn't a SINGLE track I dislike.

Art Hounds is brilliant....The album, from start-to-finish is nothing but AMAZING tracks. There's isn't a SINGLE track I dislike.

I'm with you, ChicagoGuy. I keep coming back to this thread, but I can't bring myself to vote in the poll because picking a favorite is impossible! I suppose my least favorite is the title track, but only because the rest of the album is such a triumph. If I can narrow it down to five top songs, I'd go with I'm Not A Man, Staircase, Oboe Concerto, Art Hounds, and Mountjoy. I am really developing a soft spot for Julie in the Weeds, too…it makes me feel very nostalgic for things I've never experienced.

It's funny, the nitpicking over lyrics. I remember thinking The More You Ignore Me was ridiculous the first time I heard it ("Did he just rhyme 'bar' with 'bar'?!"), but time does funny things.

I'm with you, ChicagoGuy. I keep coming back to this thread, but I can't bring myself to vote in the poll because picking a favorite is impossible! I suppose my least favorite is the title track, but only because the rest of the album is such a triumph. If I can narrow it down to five top songs, I'd go with I'm Not A Man, Staircase, Oboe Concerto, Art Hounds, and Mountjoy. I am really developing a soft spot for Julie in the Weeds, too…it makes me feel very nostalgic for things I've never experienced.

It's funny, the nitpicking over lyrics. I remember thinking The More You Ignore Me was ridiculous the first time I heard it ("Did he just rhyme 'bar' with 'bar'?!"), but time does funny things.

It's not nitpicking, it's noticing that lazy writing is all over the album. When the songwriting is this poor, no amount of sonic fireworks can distract me from such fundamental flaws.

Years of Refusal was such a disappointment, much of it looking like a parody of himself, World Peace is a pleasant and sophisticated diversion. Several listens in, I find myself going back and now liking the not-so-appreciated songs upon first listen. The album, as stated by many critics, is a grower, and demands repeated listens to appreciate each song. This was not the case on the last couple of albums, cliched and repetitive as they were. Congrats Moz!

i get that people dont like the words to world peace the song but i cant find anyone saying why. does anyone want to take a little time and explain what makes them cring worthy. im 34 american and very very involved in politics mostly campaigning and i thought them pretty good. cheers in advance if anyone does take the time.

The lyrics are infantile and politically naive.

The idea that an immensely wealthy man such as Morrissey, one of those fashionably loathed 1% if ever I saw one, should exhort revolution in liberal Western democracies is nauseating.

PS: "I'm Not A Man" might prove to be the last truly great Morrissey song, despite the lyric starting to unravel halfway through.

Last edited:
It's not nitpicking, it's noticing that lazy writing is all over the album.

Agharta, I was referring to myself and my previous and current tendency to, yes, nitpick over individual lines in songs. Not you. Don't worry, I totally get that you just think the album sucks and that Morrissey is lazy! That has no bearing on how I feel about it/him. People like different things.

I can't say that there haven't been lines in songs - that have kind of killed it for me but... That's part of it folks, when something pisses you off every time you hear it - then it works - right? Everyone seems stummed in different places, while different parts are more exceptable to different people. Like in personal relationships.
NO ONE ELSE - has ever made me question whether Meat is (actually) Murder, or if World Peace (actually is) 'my' business. I guess I'm simple but, I think it's brilliant.
Almost every reviewer has pointed out the lameness of the line "police will stun you with their stun guns" - like, what else can you do with a stun gun, OK but - it reads purely 'Morrissey' to me. There is a difference between being emotionally stunned and physically stunned; and here they are paired) - if the reality doesn't stun you - then WPINOYB.
I don't know if the fact that I'm entertained and enlightened by these amazing grasps of the obvious makes me a sheep but it's where I'm at -
I guess I don't believe in what Agharta calls 'fundamental flaws'

Last edited:
I was slightly surprised when i seen that KTBDTA lyrics contained ..."so she can laze & graze for the rest of her days"

As soon as i heard it & afterwards i thought it went like this: ...so she can laze & braise for the rest of her days...

Makes perfect sense... Doesn't it?...

I don't know what song is my favorite one, because I haven't even listened to all of them yet, but 'Smiler with knife' made me cry real tears at the first listen. It's maybe today's general mood, but...my God. :tears::tears:

I just looked at my iTunes play count: 12 times of WPINOYB on the iPod and 6 times on iTunes on my MacBook. So, 18 times, all 18 tracks. I think I love it? :)

i get that people dont like the words to world peace the song but i cant find anyone saying why. does anyone want to take a little time and explain what makes them cring worthy. im 34 american and very very involved in politics mostly campaigning and i thought them pretty good. cheers in advance if anyone does take the time.

The lyrics are infantile and politically naive.

The idea that an immensely wealthy man such as Morrissey, one of those fashionably loathed 1% if ever I saw one, should exhort revolution in liberal Western democracies is nauseating.

On top of this, they're just lazy, poorly constructed and ironically patronizing.

"Work hard and sweetly pay your taxes, never asking what for- oh, you poor little fool!" Seriously Moz, go f*** yourself.

"Police will stun you with their stun guns or they'll disable you with tasers- that's what governments for!" This is just pathetic- he sounds like an 8 year-old.

"The rich must profit and get richer and the poor must stay poor." There's an original sentiment- and from one of the wealthiest pop-stars of his generation.

"Each time you vote, you support the process." Brilliant advice there. "Hey kids, try apathy!"

"Brazil and Bahrain. Oh, Egypt, Ukraine." Teach us more about the countries of the world, Morrissey (nevermind that each situation is entirely different and to lump them together like this is an insult to all). "Iraq and Iran. Oh, the several countries that end in 'stan'...."

The embarrassing part is that because it's Morrissey and that voice you still find yourself singing along, repeating these idiotic words. Fookin' Moz.

I am in abject shock that any song other than 'Istanbul' could even be anywhere remotely near the top of this poll...

I am in abject shock that any song other than 'Istanbul' could even be anywhere remotely near the top of this poll...

I'll explain this as simply as I know how. Different people have different tastes.

On top of this, they're just lazy, poorly constructed and ironically patronizing.

"Work hard and sweetly pay your taxes, never asking what for- oh, you poor little fool!" Seriously Moz, go f*** yourself.

"Police will stun you with their stun guns or they'll disable you with tasers- that's what governments for!" This is just pathetic- he sounds like an 8 year-old.

"The rich must profit and get richer and the poor must stay poor." There's an original sentiment- and from one of the wealthiest pop-stars of his generation.

"Each time you vote, you support the process." Brilliant advice there. "Hey kids, try apathy!"

"Brazil and Bahrain. Oh, Egypt, Ukraine." Teach us more about the countries of the world, Morrissey (nevermind that each situation is entirely different and to lump them together like this is an insult to all). "Iraq and Iran. Oh, the several countries that end in 'stan'...."

The embarrassing part is that because it's Morrissey and that voice you still find yourself singing along, repeating these idiotic words. Fookin' Moz.

Haha... very nice run-down. I actually don't disagree with any of this, despite liking the album an awful lot.
It's a very conflicting and difficult thing to love Morrissey.

Last edited:
So today I bought the album and have now listened to it once. I love it at first listen. It's right up there with Vauxhall and I, Viva Hate and Your Arsenal. Joe Chiccarelli have worked wonders. Staircase is pure bliss. This song, and I'm Not A Man, Kiss Me A Lot, Smiler With Knife, Mountjoy and Oboe Concerto, are all great songs. The rest half dozen songs are not great, but good. I never thought I would get to hear such a magnificent album from Morrissey again. I just want to cry of joy.

I still am surprised that the title track was the first song officially released from the album.

It made a statement. But I think Staircase and Kiss Me A lot should have been singles.

So today I bought the album and have now listened to it once. I love it at first listen. It's right up there with Vauxhall and I, Viva Hate and Your Arsenal. Joe Chiccarelli have worked wonders. Staircase is pure bliss. This song, and I'm Not A Man, Kiss Me A Lot, Smiler With Knife, Mountjoy and Oboe Concerto, are all great songs. The rest half dozen songs are not great, but good. I never thought I would get to hear such a magnificent album from Morrissey again. I just want to cry of joy.

You're right and you'll find some of the other tracks will grow on you too.

It made a statement. But I think Staircase and Kiss Me A lot should have been singles.

Definitely. Staircase is his loveliest song since My Love Life. It has (had?) the potential of being a huge summer hit.

Back
Top Bottom