Favorite song off 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business'?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date

Favorite song off 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business'?

• World Peace Is None Of Your Business

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Neal Cassady Drops Dead

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I'm Not A Man

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Istanbul

Votes: 13 10.0%
  • Earth Is The Loneliest Planet

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Staircase At The University

Votes: 37 28.5%
  • The Bullfighter Dies

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Kiss Me A Lot

Votes: 16 12.3%
  • Smiler With Knife

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • Kick The Bride Down The Aisle

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • Mountjoy

Votes: 14 10.8%
  • Oboe Concerto

Votes: 6 4.6%

• Total voters
Wow, what's happened to his poll? Where has this surge in popularity for 'Neal Cassady Drops Dead' come from? Don't get me wrong it's one of my favourites but 'Staircase' has been way out in front for the last week or so.

Wow, what's happened to his poll? Where has this surge in popularity for 'Neal Cassady Drops Dead' come from? Don't get me wrong it's one of my favourites but 'Staircase' has been way out in front for the last week or so.

I wouldn't change my vote from Staircase, but Neal Cassady has REALLY been growing on me. There's a lot happening there that I may have dismissed on initial listens. It's a very weird, very cool track. (But yeah, I'm shocked to see it in the lead!)

Every time i listen to it, I dedicate The Bullfighter Dies to every living animal creature in the world. Seriously this song makes me go veggies.

At the moment, Mountjoy, Drag The River and Art-Hounds.
I am sure it will change...

I doubt it will change, you've named the three best songs on the album, in that order, (could swap the first 2 round from time to time, loving drag the river atm but moutjoy is equally as good, Art Hounds, good but not great like the other 2) I'd give drag the river & mountjoy high 8's out of 10, art hounds a solid 7. The rest are 5's all across the board. (someone will pick me up on the "masterpieces" that are istanbul, oboe & staircase, suppose theyre the best of the rest if pushed)

I have to say that initially I'm Not a Man was one of my least favourite songs on the album and it had nothing to do with the intro. I just don't find the lyrics particularly impressive or involving or convincing... but it's really grown on me. One of the very first reviews I read of the album said it was very "Broadway" and when I finally heard it myself I couldn't really hear that at all, but I think this is the song - the first half, at least - is the main one that you could say that about. It builds beautifully, doesn't it?

I don't really understand why so many single out Earth is the Loneliest Planet for criticism. It's such a delicately structured song with so much going on at the same time. That spanish guitar break half-way through is so beautiful and that wash of strings that comes in and out! Oh my!
I guess it does come in-between two of the absolute best songs on the album.

The bit (second time especially) when he sings 'kiss me all over the play-hay-hay-hace!' on Kiss Me A Lot is one of those truly glorious, uplifting moments on a Morrissey song where the heart just leaps for joy!
And so too is the way he phrases the title. It fits awkwardly but perfectly so.

Almost every reviewer has pointed out the lameness of the line "police will stun you with their stun guns" - like, what else can you do with a stun gun, OK but - it reads purely 'Morrissey' to me.

Agreed and agreed.

Police will stun you with their f***ing stun guns, and yes I've seen it done over trivial matters. They've stun-gunned my brother for crossing over railroad tracks because they are not allowed to be walked on, I guess.

It is a very Morrissey thing to phrase and I delight in hearing it. The talk of laziness in writing, as if every whit need be exercised, is what I find most tiring.

Oh God, Mountjoy is absolutely gorgeous, isn't it?
Again, a Morrissey song hasn't affected me like this in a long time. It's actually bringing me close to tears.
"A swagger hides the fear in here".
[swoon]

Sorry if posting my thoughts/feelings on each song isn't allowed here. I know it's not quite the topic's intention...

Agreed and agreed.

Police will stun you with their f***ing stun guns, and yes I've seen it done over trivial matters. They've stun-gunned my brother for crossing over railroad tracks because they are not allowed to be walked on, I guess.

It is a very Morrissey thing to phrase and I delight in hearing it. The talk of laziness in writing, as if every whit need be exercised, is what I find most tiring.

I prefer an interpretation I read somewhere on this forum that the first stun is actually "stun" as in shocking or surprising, though I doubt that many people would be surprised that the police can be brutal.

Love your avatar, btw.

I prefer an interpretation I read somewhere on this forum that the first stun is actually "stun" as in shocking or surprising, though I doubt that many people would be surprised that the police can be brutal.

That makes sense, and lends to the lyrical whit. Obviously, even if interpreted literally, I appreciate it. And all of Morrissey's denouncement of heavy-handed justice, for that matter. It's incredibly poignant to me, in the post 9-11 bubble that America exists under.

Love your avatar, btw.

Thanks. Wish I could take the credit, but that goes to Google images.

Okay, Mountjoy is literally making me cry now. The only 00s Morrissey songs that could affect me as much were Come Back To Camden, Dear God Please Help Me and Life is a Pigsty.
The voice. That voice.
In fact, all of Morrissey's vocals on this album are just so affecting and also impressive in their variation and expressiveness, expansiveness, joyous abandon. And the music, the instrumentation, the production: all of it meets - and is driven by - Morrissey's certain lead.

Over the last 10 years I've been gradually becoming less and less of a Morrissey fan as everything he brought out seemed to move or affect me less and less.
This album 'speaks' to me in the same way that The Smiths and early Moz albums did. And yet it stands alone: if this was Morrissey's first album I'd be grabbed by it exactly as I was all those years ago.
Beautiful.

Thank you, Moz. x

Well...at the moment I think Mountjoy...but I also love Smiler With Knife, Oboe Concerto, Staircase At The University, One Of Our Own, Art-Hounds, and I'm Not A Man. I'm surprised about the popularity of Neal Cassidy Drops Dead. I really like it as a linking track on the album, but I don't think it's a stand out.
Probably his best album in 20 years.

Well...at the moment I think Mountjoy...but I also love Smiler With Knife, Oboe Concerto, Staircase At The University, One Of Our Own, Art-Hounds, and I'm Not A Man. I'm surprised about the popularity of Neal Cassidy Drops Dead. I really like it as a linking track on the album, but I don't think it's a stand out.
Probably his best album in 20 years.
But probably not, yeah, it's defiantly not

Here's Brendan Behan singing The Auld Triangle about his time in Mountjoy Prison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqKpzukDpVI

Incidentally, the film adaptation of Borstal Boy is pretty pretty pretty good, esp if you fancy a bit of Danny Dyer as rough trade (he's brilliant in it actually, all joking aside).

Back
Top Bottom