Favorite song off 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business'?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date

Favorite song off 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business'?

• World Peace Is None Of Your Business

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Neal Cassady Drops Dead

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I'm Not A Man

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Istanbul

Votes: 13 10.0%
  • Earth Is The Loneliest Planet

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Staircase At The University

Votes: 37 28.5%
  • The Bullfighter Dies

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Kiss Me A Lot

Votes: 16 12.3%
  • Smiler With Knife

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • Kick The Bride Down The Aisle

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • Mountjoy

Votes: 14 10.8%
  • Oboe Concerto

Votes: 6 4.6%

• Total voters
Absolutely in love with Mountjoy and Oboe Concerto. They leave me jubilent and wanting more. Just like the old days

I'dl like to change my vote, it seems that one particular track has really got to me
6_zpsd1bc6b9d.png

:blushing:

I'm Not a Man is another late-period show-stopper (à la Pigsty), and I've been singing it non-stop (which is appropriate because I'm not at all a man either).

Neal Cassady Drops Dead is a close second: Morrissey's homage to beat poetry as a rant against scabrous children ("get that thing away from me!") is hysterical (and contagious).

Last edited:
Oboe Concerto reminds me of Death of a Disco Dancer.

The intro to Mountjoy sounds like Oasis!

Last edited:
Neal CASSADY guys, CASSADY! Not Cassidy.

Fix yer tags.

Sometimes autocorrect makes it into Cassidy which is annoying.

I haven’t listened to any individual songs yet, my play count is only for the entire album, deluxe and all. But “oh my God, it’s Robby”, that is very impressive!

No song on the album equally perplexes me and beguiles me so much as Neal Cassady Drops Dead. It gets a great start with the title, the tension in the sharp guitar barks, and Morrissey's phrasing on the lines about Ginsberg and Cassady (punctuated by the "hose" sound effect). The last couplet (...Howl/...growl) is a clanger before the inexplicable and weak anti-child "rap." Then, suddenly the song is redeemed by one of the best lines on the album (Victim or life's adventurer...), the passionate flamenco guitar, and some lovely wordless scat to end it.

I thought he might be setting up a contrast between Cassady and Ginsberg. But you could argue that neither is clearly a victim or adventurer - they certainly each tallied a fair amount of adventure before clocking out. The child rant is seemingly apropos of nothing. So the parts are better than the sum, a series of song sketches tied together with some bold production choices. I love it; I hate it.

Neal Cassady Drops Dead is a close second: Morrissey's homage to beat poetry as a rant against scabrous children ("get that thing away from me!") is hysterical (and contagious).

I love the way he sings that line.

After repeated listens to the album I can't decide on just one, I'm still switching and changing my mind as to which is my fave, however out of the bonus tracks Drag The River is my Jewel in the crown.....melts me little heart that one. Just lovely, maybe I should just settle with this one for now.... the one they left behind. ;)

Its a cracking album I've listened to little else for the past week. I love it.

3 tracks into the album proper...

WPINOYB is still dreadful- not the worst sounding song, but again some of the worst lyrics ever.

"Neal Cassady Drops Dead" appears to showcase Morrissey's first attempt at rap- and it turns out as you might think it should. Did he actually say "babies full of rabies, rabies full of scabies"? Jesus, Moz.

Clocking in at nearly 8 minutes, surprisingly "I'm Not A Man" is not too long and despite a couple of cringeworthy lyrics toward the end this stands head and shoulders as the best track thus far (not including "Drag..."). Still, it sounds like like one or more songs that Jarvis Cocker has already written and done a much better job of.

We press on....

You left out the worst part.."Scarlett has a fever"

Now that right there, that is f***ing dreadful

Even though it could do with some further work, 'Mountjoy' is the only song I'd save from the fire.

Last edited:

Fix yer tags.
had no idea, thanks, fixed it :thumb:

I haven’t listened to any individual songs yet, my play count is only for the entire album, deluxe and all. But “oh my God, it’s Robby”, that is very impressive!
yeah, its been my "wake up" album most days since I got it, as for "Kiss Me A Lot" being played so many times, not intentional, this is just a time when I am often filled with romantic reverie and that song is just fills the space I suppose :o

i thought the rant about children was still kinda echoing ginsbergs position on children. i mean hes singing the "first part" from ginsbergs position/perspective right about the death of his former lover so why would you think that perspective changed. i dont think ginsberg cared much for children or being told he should have children, a common anti gay stance back in the day. could obviously be wrong but that how i took it

Fix yer tags.

Or sometimes the person who leaks an album purposely "watermarks" their leak in a way that most people who re-upload it wouldn't notice...

Not that I know who uploaded it or anything..........................................

Back
Top Bottom